Eric
08-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Commentary: Make no mistake,
Manny is still going to be Manny

By Jill Painter, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 08/02/2008 02:59:04 AM PDT

Manny is already being Manny.

He changed teams, not personalities.

Ramirez hadn't even trotted out to left field in Dodger Stadium with those infamous locks flowing back and forth against his baggy jersey when his quirky nature surfaced in the clubhouse.

In case you're not hip, the trendy phrase "Manny being Manny" was hatched in Boston. It's not in the dictionary, but it essentially means to expect the unexpected and be OK with whatever happens.

This could mean disappearing during a pitching change, requesting a trade for Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre or, in this case, indecisiveness.

Mitch Poole, the Dodgers' longtime equipment manager, should've known about MBM (Manny being Manny), but he was surprised when Ramirez walked into the Dodgers' clubhouse Friday - on his first day since the trade with Boston - asking for jersey No. 28.

That was the very jersey number Poole suggested a day earlier, but Ramirez had passed on it. Ramirez wore No. 24 in Boston, but he couldn't wear it in L.A. since it was retired in honor of Walter Aston.

Ramirez then asked for No. 34. Although the number isn't officially retired, Fernando Valenzuela was the last player to wear it. In other words, it was off-limits. Ramirez settled on No. 66.

The number is an important thing for an equipment manager, so Poole started making arrangements for a No. 66 jersey. Not long after, he was informed Ramirez wanted No. 99.

Again, Poole started making arrangements. He didn't have Ramriez's exact jersey size (Ramirez likes to wear a loose-fitting size 56), but he had one with No. 99 that would fit fine through the weekend.
The Dodgers' marketing staff was buried under a campaign of T-shirts and jerseys with No. 99. Fans were already wearing the jersey Friday.

When Ramirez entered the clubhouse asking for No. 28, Poole wasn't sure if it was a joke. There was no turning back. Manny's shirt was done and some factory somewhere already was churning out Ramirez jerseys.

Ramirez is stuck with No. 99. At his introductory news conference behind home plate, he said he wasn't sure why the Dodgers gave him No. 99. But he smiled the whole time.

"Ninety-nine, that's kind of funny," he said.

Fans weren't privy to Manny's numbers game, and they probably wouldn't have cared. Ramirez is their new threat in the cleanup role. Finally, a scary hitter in the heart of the order.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_10074973

PlatinumMarketing
08-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Funny Story. Manny actually lives in the same building here in Boston that I live in and security and media was huge after the trade had been finalized and everyone wanting to get the "last glimpse" of Manny in Boston.

The night that the Manny trade (night before he left town) one of his best friends was downstairs in the lobby packing up stuff and trying to get everything ready for their trip out to LA the next day. It was probably about 2 am when I got back home and he asked me what number I thought Manny should wear and he showed me the numbers that were still available from the Dodgers. He text messaged me and wanted my opinion because the next day he would be wearing a Dodgers uniform and wanted to know what number would be most marketable. The numbers still available were 28,33,41,50,52,57,59,60 then 62-96 and obviously the great number of 99 that everyone wants to wear. I told him that the lower numbers were better because normally the September call ups and guys new to the league wore the higher numbers as a temporary number. I told him that they should go with 28 because it was the closest to his 24 he wore in Boston.

They had him listed on the Dodgers website as 28 and I thought it was a good call (there were even #28 jerseys popping up on Ebay before the press conference). Then wham.....back to the idea of 99. I feel bad for all the companies that went out there and started pounding out #28 jerseys with his name on the back. I am sure there were plenty of them made before they started the #99 jerseys on the press.

In defense of Manny, I am sure he doesnt care what jersey number he is wearing, he knows what he needs to do this season to try to shoot for his new huge contract that he wants when he becomes a free agent this Winter. If anyone saw the reports after his first day in LA he said he "Loved the city and wanted to finish up his career as a Dodger." They better start getting their ducks in order if they want to pay that kind of money for the next 4-5 years.

gameused
08-03-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't care what number Manny wears, the guy can flat out hit anywhere!

He just hit a 436ft HR vs the Diamondbacks, his second HR as a Dodger and is know 7 for 11 at the plate since coming to LA.

The Red Sox will always be my team with or without Manny, the only thing great about Manny heading west is that know I can see all his games on FSN.

Bobby

Vintagedeputy
08-03-2008, 06:05 PM
I would have issued him zero, since you can't use negative numbers

joelsabi
08-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Funny Story. Manny actually lives in the same building here in Boston

Do you happen to be the owner of the "Manny Grill" ?

PlatinumMarketing
08-03-2008, 06:50 PM
No Manny Grill here, sorry.

Jason