PDA

View Full Version : ? Ebay ended my auction ?

b.heagy
08-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Just listed a Mitchell and Ness Pete Rose 1980 replica phillies away jersey on ebay. Ebay ended it very quickly. MC019 eBay Listing Removed: Trademark Violation - Unauthorized Item ( 226499896)

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gif

Can someone explain why this item was removed? I was unaware that I violated a trademark. Simply using the Mitchell & Ness name? I can attach pics later if it helps. I could not find a pete rose jersey on the M&N website, only a Mike Schmidt.

b.heagy
08-03-2008, 07:00 PM
here are the pics.

ironmanfan
08-03-2008, 07:01 PM
most likely a M&N knockoff

b.heagy
08-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Didn't think of that. It's a darn good one if it is.

treant985
08-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Did you use any M&N logos or icons in your description, besides the obvious one that's in the photo itself?

b.heagy
08-03-2008, 07:33 PM
nope, just had M&N in the title and description. also mentioned that they have a Schmidt on their site for $250.

beantown
08-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Just listed a Mitchell and Ness Pete Rose 1980 replica phillies away jersey on ebay. Ebay ended it very quickly. MC019 eBay Listing Removed: Trademark Violation - Unauthorized Item ( 226499896)

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gif

Can someone explain why this item was removed? I was unaware that I violated a trademark. Simply using the Mitchell & Ness name? I can attach pics later if it helps. I could not find a pete rose jersey on the M&N website, only a Mike Schmidt.

I just had the same thing happen to me on eBay...I had either the title or subtitle with "Mitchell and Ness" in it and eBay cancelled the listing...not sure why when it was a 100% real M&N jersey!!! I re-listed the item without putting "Mitchell and Ness" in the title (used the exact same photos that clearly showed it was a REAL M&N jersey) and there were no problems. Try it that way and you be fine....Chris

dcrules01
08-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I just posted it on my jersey message board ill let you know if it is legit.It looks fine to me though.You were selling it?? I personally do not understand ebay there are so many fake jerseys on there and they get reported but nothing happens.Im a Mets fan but that is an awesome jersey..

b.heagy
08-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I may try it that way. I did search for Mitchell and Ness on ebay and came up with very little. If anyone feels this item is not legit please chime in as I will not offer it for sale without making sure the buyer knows what they are getting. I am not familiar with modern replica's/throwback jerseys.

b.heagy
08-03-2008, 07:45 PM
I just posted it on my jersey message board ill let you know if it is legit.It looks fine to me though.You were selling it?? I personally do not understand ebay there are so many fake jerseys on there and they get reported but nothing happens.Im a Mets fan but that is an awesome jersey..

I started it at $9.99 with no reserve. I have to tell you it is one quality jersey in my opinion. Just lacking a nameplate with Rose on it.

dcrules01
08-03-2008, 07:57 PM
I am wondering if they ended it because it is missing his last name.Where did you buy it??? I know a lot of the Mets 86 jerseys before there was a contract they had no name on the back...Is it made in the USA???

Danny899
08-03-2008, 07:58 PM
I started it at $9.99 with no reserve. I have to tell you it is one quality jersey in my opinion. Just lacking a nameplate with Rose on it.

Bill,
Before I began collecting gamers, I used to collect M&N jerseys. I still purchase them every now and then for signing. I could never understand why Ebay would cancel authentic Mitchell & Ness jersey auctions, like yours appears to be, then they would allow the obvious fakes to remain. I'm talking about the polyester Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mays and other jerseys. These should have been made of wool or flannel and certainly shouldn't have names on the back! Many of these fakes appear to have genuine M&N tagging but the jersey is clearly no good. Maybe the folks at M&N figure no one would be that dumb to purchase something so blatant that they don't need to bother. Lastly I have often seen nice ones get cancelled only a few days in. No rhyme or reason.
Dan

b.heagy
08-03-2008, 08:00 PM
I bought it at an outdoor market. the tag under the M&N tag has PWR Made in USA RN 22420 Body 100% Nylon Exclusive Decoration Size L. Then washing instructions on the back of that tag.

b.heagy
08-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Bill,
Before I began collecting gamers, I used to collect M&N jerseys. I still purchase them every now and then for signing. I could never understand why Ebay would cancel authentic Mitchell & Ness jersey auctions, like yours appears to be, then they would allow the obvious fakes to remain. I'm talking about the polyester Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mays and other jerseys. These should have been made of wool or flannel and certainly shouldn't have names on the back! Many of these fakes appear to have genuine M&N tagging but the jersey is clearly no good. Maybe the folks at M&N figure no one would be that dumb to purchase something so blatant that they don't need to bother. Lastly I have often seen nice ones get cancelled only a few days in. No rhyme or reason.
Dan

I thought I was being singled out fr some reason. My first M&N jersey and it get squashed within and hour or so. Trying to educate myself on the newer items that I normally don't handle. All the responses have been very appreciated. Thanks everyone.

ironmanfan
08-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Below is M&N's VeRO Program information page regarding their item removal. They have contact information on the bottom of the page, so your best bet is to contact them. I'm sure it is some sort of a knock off (particularly if you obtained this at an outdoor market...I've been to plenty of those and rarely do you find legit, licensed material)..

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=mitchellandnessrep

dcrules01
08-03-2008, 09:00 PM
According to my other message board they guys said the jersey is 100 percent legit...

both-teams-played-hard
08-03-2008, 09:19 PM
You were reported by another eBay seller, who sells similar M&N jerseys. EBay does not have the time to police every listing. They take the word of anyone. Don't complain to eBay. Turn the other cheek and move on.
Have you recieved a recent email from another eBayer, complaining about your listings? Someone is trying to eliminate the competition.

trsent
08-03-2008, 11:01 PM
You were reported by another eBay seller, who sells similar M&N jerseys. EBay does not have the time to police every listing. They take the word of anyone. Don't complain to eBay. Turn the other cheek and move on.
Have you recieved a recent email from another eBayer, complaining about your listings? Someone is trying to eliminate the competition.

As a seller who has had a few listings removed I contact eBay on each and every one because it lowers my rating. For instance, they removed a 1986-1987 Fleer Michael Jordan Rookie (it was part of a set) as they have a policy that each and every 1986-1987 Fleer MJ Rookie must be authenticated prior to sale. You cannot find this posted everywhere, but my bidders were emails that I was in violation of some VERO crap and that I was selling illegitimate items.

After having PSA put the card in a holder marked "Authentic" they let the listing run and removed the VERO violation from my account. It was a real pain in the rear. What irritated me most was that eBay emails my bidders when they remove the listing that I am selling something bad, which I was not, but they do not email the customers that I am selling something that needs to be en-capsuled to sell on eBay and the item may be good.

What was most annoying is that eBay doesn't have a list of cards that must be slabbed before posting, but they have an internal list. This is too bad, and not fair to sellers who then have a listing removed.

Today I am looking at buying two books on eBay. The eBay seller charges $6.99 shipping per book with no combined shipping. It clearly states that the book will be shipped Media Mail, and the book weighs under a pound. I report them to SafeHarbor as this is a violation of the obvious Excessive Shipping since it runs around $2.50 or so to ship a one pound book via Media Mail with tracking.

What will eBay do about it? Nothing, they ignore these complaints but deal with unfounded complaints about genuine items such as the Mitchell and Ness jersey and my Michael Jordan rookie.

Vintagedeputy
08-04-2008, 12:34 AM

That is my guess too....happens all the time.

Made in Motown
08-04-2008, 08:35 AM
That looks like a legit M&N. I have a feeling it may have been targeted because it is an older style - the newer versions have numbered sizes and names on the back.

b.heagy
08-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the input everyone, you have all been very helpful. I guess it would be safe to list the jersey without mentioning M&N in the title and description.

trsent
08-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all the input everyone, you have all been very helpful. I guess it would be safe to list the jersey without mentioning M&N in the title and description.

Possibly not.

TNTtoys
08-04-2008, 01:11 PM
I have been following this one closely, because I too was a M&N collector, have bought and sold many M&N jerseys, mostly on ebay...

With regards to the style jersey...
Mitchell & Ness always sold multiple versions of the blue Phillies road jersey (I believe they made 1976, 1980 and 1983). The 1976 had a NOB. One of the 80s styles also did; the other didn't. For starters, if the reason why the item was pulled was due to a NOB, someone out there didn't do their homework.

This could be another reason...
In my travels, I have had 1 legit M&N jersey pulled. I got M&N on the line, and they told me that they have people monitoring ebay and pulling items that are in "violation" witht their policies. They mentioned that there are a lot of knock-offs, which many of us have come to know & understand; however, one thing they also said provided them with a new avenue to pull items (even legitimate ones). They mentioned that only an authorized reseller can sell their products. Hence, I no longer had any ground to walk on because I wasn't one. Since this incident, I have always indicated that I am selling an item out of my collection and that it is in used or as/is condition. I don't think they are too worried about the sale of used clothing.

My gut feel...
Someone who belongs to Vero ghot a bit overzealous and fired the first shot at you without asking questions.

Bill,
Just a suggestion -- you might want to ring them up and find out specifically why it was removed instead of speculating. They can also help get that strike against you removed. I feel that it certainly was not warranted, as it clearly looks like an authentic M&N jersey.

Nick

earlywynnfan
08-05-2008, 11:27 PM
I had an auction pulled once for seemingly no reason. I can't remember what it was, but it was something generic, that I'd sold many of previously, like "negro league signed baseball" or something. I took the item and re-listed it exactly as before, and it worked just fine.

Ken