PDA

View Full Version : Question for all collectors???

sicollector1954
08-04-2008, 06:31 PM
I am not starting any rumor or false accusations here. I simply am stating what I just heard. I just got off the phone with a long time collector and he indicated that federal investigators served a couple of large auction houses whom I will not mention as well as a president of a large authentication company at the National in regards to shill bidding and other things related to the collecting hobby. Details were obviously sketchy at this point if even true. Did anyone out there witness anything if at the Chicago show or have any knowledge in regards to if something like this indeed might have happened?

If so--thanks for sharing if you are able to. If true, it is just another black eye for the hobby and will do no one any good regardless of what area you collect in. I hope it is only a rumor and not fact. Comments welcome on this subject. I believe shill bidding has been discussed in the past on the forum. Thanks for sharing anything you might know.

sicollector1954
08-04-2008, 07:06 PM
More information from a third person possibly in the know indicates this goes back to the sale of a Honus Wagner T206 card. Thanks. They heard rumblings on this matter beginning on Saturday at the National.

sicollector1954
08-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Found it! Thanks.

ironmanfan
08-04-2008, 09:12 PM
I seriously suggest that anyone interested in the background of this story read "The Card" published about a year ago by New York Daily Investigative Reporter, Michael O'Keefe. The book is very interesting and could be digested easily over a vacation, weekend, etc.

David
08-04-2008, 09:37 PM
A well known NYC defense attorney said subpoenas are regularly given to witnesses and other holders of information. So someone being served a subpoena doesn't automatically mean the person is guilty or even suspected of being guilty of anything.

David
08-04-2008, 09:40 PM
If you witness a car crash, you could be subpoenaed to testify as a witness. Doesn't mean you did anything wrong or anyone is saying you did anything wrong.

flaco1801
08-05-2008, 02:44 PM
and sometimes you get supenaded (sp) just to get testimony which could be false and get the ball rolling ....

TNTtoys
08-05-2008, 04:02 PM
If true, it is just another black eye for the hobby and will do no one any good regardless of what area you collect in.

I couldn't diasagree more. I look upon the Fed involvement as a good thing, not a "black eye" for the hobby. In fact, this hobby has been so unregulated, I would say it has very few "black eyes" in the first place.
The FBI made comments on how they regularly read this forum and have learned so much about the hobby through what they have read. If (from the information they have gathered) the first thing they look to clean up in this hobby is shill bidding, how could this do us all "no good"?

bigtruck260
08-06-2008, 12:36 AM
I seriously suggest that anyone interested in the background of this story read "The Card" published about a year ago by New York Daily Investigative Reporter, Michael O'Keefe. The book is very interesting and could be digested easily over a vacation, weekend, etc.

This is a GREAT book and very eye opening.

I quit collecting autographs after reading OPERATION BULLPEN by Kevin Nelson - and after reading THE CARD, I would have quit having cards graded if I hadn't stopped collecting a few years back. It's a real eye opener, and shows the underbelly of the business side of some people who are affiliated with the major auction houses.

Something needs to be done - regulation wise, because we are in dangerous waters right now. There is a thread regarding a Vlad Guerrero gamer that you should read if you have not...it is disturbing.

People have been scamming the public for years in the GU marketplace. Doctoring items, shill bidding, etc. The FBI getting involved will only help to rid the hobby of certain unscrupulous individuals.