PDA

View Full Version : Devil Rays Optioned Gomes to make room ....

camarokids
08-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Devil Rays Optioned Gomes to make room on the 25 man roster. What does this mean?

Can another team pick him up or what?

The Devil Rays website has no info besides what is below....

ST. PETERSBURG -- Prior to Tuesday night's game against the Indians, the Rays recalled infielder Ben Zobrist from Triple-A Durham and optioned outfielder Jonny Gomes to make room on the 25-man roster. Zobrist will be in the starting lineup on Tuesday.

The move was necessary given that shortstop Jason Bartlett is day-to-day after his right index finger was hit by a pitch on Sunday, leaving the Rays low on infield options. Manager Joe Maddon gave Willy Aybar his first Major League start at shortstop on Monday and has been vocal about leaving Evan Longoria at third base.

Though the recall of Zobrist will primarily give the club depth in the field, his right-handed bat could also be of use.
Zobrist showcased some power when Bartlett was hurt earlier this season, and he has continued to swing a hot bat for Durham. The 27-year-old was named the International League Batter of the Week for the period from July 28 to Aug. 3. He hit .583 with six RBIs, a .833 slugging percentage and two home runs.

Meanwhile, Gomes has been mostly delegated to a bench role this season and has struggled to find his stroke at the plate. In 69 games, he is batting just .182 with eight home runs and 19 RBIs.

ham1963
08-05-2008, 06:32 PM
When production goes down then the player goes to the bench or worse. Sorry to see this happen to Gomes he seems like a good guy. So what is it like to have winning baseball in Tampa???
John:D

camarokids
08-05-2008, 06:44 PM
When production goes down then the player goes to the bench or worse. Sorry to see this happen to Gomes he seems like a good guy. So what is it like to have winning baseball in Tampa???
John:D

Hey John,

Don't know yet?

If the Devil Rays fail to make it to the playoffs, they didn't win anything...

BTW, the Devil Rays play in St. Petersburg not Tampa.....:D

AstrosCollector
08-05-2008, 07:41 PM
I would guess that they optioned him to AAA Durham. They did not designate him for assignment or release him.

camarokids
08-05-2008, 07:52 PM
I would guess that they optioned him to AAA Durham. They did not designate him for assignment or release him.

Thanks Andy,

You would think their article would've been more informative.....

Maybe, The St. Petersburg Times will have more info in the morning paper tomorrow....

nate
08-05-2008, 09:55 PM
David,

They are no longer called the Devil Rays. :)

Nate

LWMM
08-06-2008, 04:59 AM
Other articles mention specifically that he was sent down to Durham, like AstrosCollector said.

Now that he got demoted, how about selling me your Gomes bats for $20 a pop?:D

camarokids
08-06-2008, 06:38 AM
David,

They are no longer called the Devil Rays. :)

Nate

I know , I know, but I can't seem to get past this:eek: . I have called them Devil Rays for so long.

The Rays is too short of a name, just feels like something is missing.

I think they should have went with D-Rays......:)

camarokids
08-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Other articles mention specifically that he was sent down to Durham, like AstrosCollector said.

Now that he got demoted, how about selling me your Gomes bats for $20 a pop?:D

I bet Jonny is not happy with being sent down to AAA.

He'll be back before the end of the season....

LWMM
08-06-2008, 10:28 PM
I bet Jonny is not happy with being sent down to AAA.

He'll be back before the end of the season....

When he was sent down last year, someone put up a "Welcome back Jonny" banner in the dugout; when he saw it, he ripped it down. He's normally a cool guy, but I think the combination of scattered at-bats and being sent down really got to him. Same case as this time, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's irked (to say the least) again.