PDA

View Full Version : Outraged With American Memorabilia!!!!!

suave1477
03-09-2006, 03:13 PM
DEAR MEMBERS I AM STATING THIS AS A FACTUAL SITUTATION THAT JUST OCCURED AND I AM NOT TELLING YOU TO USE THEM OR NOT TO USE THEM BUT AFTER THIS I WILL NEVER IN MY LIFE BID OR BUY ANYTHING FROM AMERICAN MEMORABILIA!!!

( I apologize to any member in advance if anything i say bothers anyone / please understand i am pissed as i am writing this and trying to keep my composure from cursing )

I just called A/M spoke with someone named Jim about the Dave Winfield hat. He says to me do you plan on doing business with us I said it is a possiblity, he says then I have nothing to say to you and I will not answer any of your questions. He said if lou lampson authenticates it and he stands behind then it's real, ( saying all this to me with an attitude / and mind you i was polite when i asked him ) then says to me ( with attitude ) SEE YA AND HANGS UP ON ME!!!!!!!!!!

Is this some kind of joke? cuz im not laughing:mad: :mad: :mad:

BULBUS
03-09-2006, 03:29 PM
INCREDIBLE! WAY TO RUN A BUSINESS!

When you have companies that care about people like Vintage and Mastro, AM shouldnt be around too much longer.

Eric
03-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Suave-

A few questions-

Did they ask you your name?

Did they ask if you were a registered bidder?

Have you had any trouble with them before?

Is this the person who answered the phone, or were you transferred to him?

Was it literally as quick a conversation as you described?

Did you mention anything about how people were questioning it on the forum?

What I can't get my head around here is- what made them so sure they didn't want your business?

Eric

suave1477
03-09-2006, 03:49 PM
TO ERIC

No they did not ask my name

They did ask if i was a registered bidder

I spoke with someone once before regarding a different matter.

This is the person who answered the phone. he told me to speak to him.

Yes it was a quick conversation as described before i could say anything else he hung up on me.

I didnt get a chance to mention that the item was being questioned, only gave him my question pertainig to the item.

hblakewolf
03-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Eric-
As I stated in my previous posts, I have been both a consignor and bidder with all of the major auction houses over the last 20 years. I can assure you that from both a bidders standpoint and consignors, that American Memorabila is the absolute WORST in the industry.

From a consignors standpoint, payments were always late. When questioned, I was told that my check was in the mail, however, weeks passed and after 60 days of not being paid, I had to phone again. Trying to get my 18 month old daughter to eat her green beans is an easier task than getting a legit answer on the status of payments from American Memorabilia.

Likewise, I had a reduced consignment rate of 10% (as compared to the standard 15% charged to the general public). My consignment checks often reflected a 15% rate, thus, I had to contact AM, and again, wait for the difference to be paid.

From a buyers standpoint, I experienced the same type of problems as described above. Rude, inexperienced individuals who basically told me that the item had a LOA, and that's all I needed to know. When items appeared to be fake, and I asked for additional info to determine if there was a slight chance that the photo or info was incorrect, I was told to rely on the Lampson or Lon Lewis LOA.

I have been active in the hobby since 1982. As noted, I have never had worse experiences with any auction house as those with American Memorabila. As such, I will never consign or bid with them again.

End of story.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

trsent
03-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Ok, I did some homework - I would suggest next time you wish to contact an auction house about am item, it would make sense to be a registered bidder otherwise you may find yourself hung up on.

Not how I would run my business, but then again, I kissed everyone's ass when I was answering the phone years ago. I maybe should have been harder on the people who called to question if my UDA Jordan autographs were authentic.

As for Howard's' comments above, I received my check from their last auction early, about 15 days early. I believe last auction everyone was paid early.

Maybe they are changing their payment methods?

suave1477
03-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Trsent wait a minute your saying i should be a registered bidder are you serious?

What if i was about to become a registered bidder? What about just being a plain old potential customer.

In all my years of business have i ever heard of treating potential customers rude!!! to become successful - is that how Bill Gates made his billions noooooooo, is that how Sony made theres noooooooo.
So I guess then your saying American Memorabilia should reinvent the wheel?

I didnt question them in a nasty way, i just simply asked about the item in a polite way and that they had 2 different ones posted.

trsent
03-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Yes, you questioned them after they were questioned on this forum, so I assume they took a policy that they were not going to put up with GUU users' general policy to publically embarass them every time their name come up on this forum.

I don't agree with hanging up on a customer, but you called after the post was made, so they may have decided to not put up with forum member's constant picking on their company.

I cannot defend them for hanging up on a customer, but I can understand why only one major auction house replies to comments on these forums (other than the million sellers on eBay who may or may not respond) because the auction houses are not given a fair chance on this forum.

End of story, sorry you were hung up on, call me if you want and I won't hang up on you. ;)

suave1477
03-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Trsent you keep saying well since they saw the post how do you expect them to react, how do you know they saw the post it has only been up here for about an hour or 2.

Do you work for American Memorbilia?
Are you the one checking for them like a spy?

Did you report to them that the post was made?

I just find it funny how in such a short time that the post has been up you seem so sure that they have seen it and that is why they are reacting that way!!!

Eric
03-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Come on now. Let's take a breath here and not let this escalate. We have had a nice run without the fighting. Probably best to keep that streak going.
Eric

trsent
03-09-2006, 05:09 PM
I do not work for American Memorabilia. I have bought from them and sold item through their service. They are located in the same city as I am and I do have a friend who works there, but he is my friend from years and years ago who moved here to work for AMI.

I hadn't discussed the situation with AMI when it came up, and who knows if they read your post or not. If you want to call a seller and tell them their items are not genuine and that you are not a registered bidder, don't expect to be treated like a return customer. Not my policy over there, but I know when a caller wants to question an item they should be treated like a future customer. If something set your conversation on the wrong direction, I am sorry. Maybe you should have registered with the man on the phone and then asked your question.

I asked somewhere, and I know the answer doesn't matter, but I have to ask for my own sake:

Did you ever intend to bid on this item in the first place?

I only keep asking because truth be told, I cannot police beyond this forum and my group of friends. If there is without a doubt an issue with an item and the seller doesn't wish to discuss it, my hands are tied. I do not believe there is any definite proof if the hat in question is genuine or not.

I really could care less about this hat. I have to worry about my family being fed and food on my table, I cannot spend all day questioning every item that I do not feel is genuine.

Yes, when I stumble across an item that I find issues with I will question the seller or post on here for more expert advice - But I am not looking for it every day. I am only looking at items that I may wish to add to my inventory so that may have something to do with why I would bring an item into question.

Don't take our debate personally - Really, I have no problem with you, but you do owe me an apology because you should know better than asking about my relationship with AMI. Your comments were out of line because we were having a debate.

Did you ask when I have defended Grey Flannel if I worked for them? The answer would have been that I did spend a few weeks in Great Neck, NY about seven years ago (maybe longer) on two occasions, but I have never been implied by any company but my own.

Did you ask when I defended Mastro Auctions if I used to play poker with Bill Mastro? You already know the answer would be yes.

suave1477
03-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Trsent to answer all your questions.

Was I interested in buying the hat? maybe, I am a yankee fan.
Someone else here was interested in buying the hat!!!
And even if i wasnt interested in buying the item for myself there is nothing wrong with curiosity or halping about another member!!!

You say i owe you an apology bcuz i know your relationships with AMI. How do i know am i a psychic? What would i need to apologize for something that you take as a compliment?
You are the one prasing them for getting your money quickly and your past dealings with them have been good!!
So for you it is a compliment not an insult

Grey Flannel? How do i know you defended Grey Flannel? and if you did that debate had nothing to do with me

Mastro? How am i supposed to know you played cards with him?

I find it flattering Trsent you want me involved with your personal life and maybe you want me to move into your house and wake up in the morning with you to eat breakfast. But thats not going to happen nor am I Dionne Warwick with the psychic friends network and know what you do in your personal life.

But if you really insist take pictures of what you do every day and send them to me!!!! lol lol lol :D

ERIC BY THE WAY WE ARE NOT FIGHTING WE ARE JUST DEBATING, AT THE END OF THE DAY WE ALL LIKE EACH OTHER ( I THINK ) LOL LOL

trsent
03-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Sorry, you are wrong. You made public accusations because I defended the auction house. All I asked is that you tell me you were sorry for making such silly comments.

Since you and I are the leading posters on this forum, I would recommend that if you are going to question my integrity, you do so privately. My issue is that we are not police, we are consumers and retailers.

If you wish to publicly question an item, which I am going to guess you would never bid on, and then because someone else questioned the item on this forum you decided to call the auction house to question their item for your fellow forum member, you may find yourself hung up on.

Why? Because I can tell you AMI has a decent size staff (which I am not one of - Hey Victor, can you offer me a job? Maybe you can sponsor me as the official AMI poker player since my last sponsor, a sexually enhancement drug company, left town with lots of bills) so maybe someone already read the post.

Who cares, as I stated in the Kirby Puckett thread, enjoy today because tomorrow may never come so we should value life and not dwell on so many issues that are just not that important to the real world.

otismalibu
03-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Who cares, as I stated in the Kirby Puckett thread, enjoy today because tomorrow may never come so we should value life and not dwell on so many issues that are just not that important to the real world.

Should probably shut down the board then, eh? :)

trsent
03-09-2006, 09:12 PM
What would Eric have to keep himself busy all day?

suave1477
03-09-2006, 10:02 PM
You are too funny.

Trsent if you would like to talk with me privately i have no problem with that. You can email me your number at suave1477@yahoo.com

To the rest we are just having a little debate thats all

trsent
03-09-2006, 11:41 PM
You are too funny.

Trsent if you would like to talk with me privately i have no problem with that. You can email me your number at suave1477@yahoo.com

To the rest we are just having a little debate thats all

As some guy who made it big time after Welcome Back Kotter would say: "Up your nose with a rubber hose."

suave1477
03-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Trsent as in the words of Robert Deniro
"Are you talkin ta me"

Followed by
Cint Eastwood
"Are you feeling lucky punk, well are ya?"

lol lol:D