PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Mets jerseys on ebay being sold as MLB

TNTtoys
08-07-2008, 10:32 AM
All,

An ebay seller has just listed a few dozen minor league Mets shirts on ebay for big bucks, purporting that they are in fact game used major league Mets jerseys of such stars as Mike Piazza, Al Leiter, Rickey Henderson, etc. Trouble is, they are not.

http://search.stores.ebay.com/lexibell_Mets_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ3QQfsnZlexibellQQf sooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ921657QQsatitleZQ22MetsQ22QQs ofpZ0

From what I can assess, these are nothing more than minor league shirts. The only commonality with the major league team is the fact that some of the numbers on the shirts were shared by the players on the big league club; in some cases (but definitely not the majority of), the sizes.

For example, the road jerseys listed have:
1. No NOB (the MLB Mets have always had a NOB on every road jersey since the 1970s)
2. A Mets logo which was never worn by the MLB Mets on field.
3. Wrong color scheme on the lettering for a 1998 jersey.
4. Minor league sleeve patches (which the seller does explain).
5. Wrong sizes for the named players, and wrong (or lack of) customizations (i.e. the "Mike Piazza" jersey is a 44 with no length added).
6. Wrong manufacturer for the jerseys of this era.

The jerseys apparently come with a letter stating that the jerseys are originally from the New York Mets. I cannot see how this is possible, being that the Mets never used this style jersey.

As Mets minor league shirts generally run from $50-100, the asking price for this batch of jerseys (at $200-$800) is far beyond their value.

I have emailed the seller with these concerns, and will post any responses I receive.

ifirocked
08-07-2008, 10:39 AM
i was thinking this was part of that huge lot it mets items that was sold be Lelands a few months back. items the mets shipped down to the cape cod league.

TNTtoys
08-07-2008, 10:58 AM
i was thinking this was part of that huge lot it mets items that was sold be Lelands a few months back. items the mets shipped down to the cape cod league.
There may have been some MLB game worn items in the Lelands lot, but these are not them. I remember seeing the Lelands lot at a high level a couple of months ago, and thinking that it was a lot of minor league Mets stuff.

hblakewolf
08-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Hartel Sports purchased hundreds of New York Mets and also their minor league jerseys a few years ago. The MLB jerseys all had the year tags cut out. These appear to be the minor league shirts they offered, and are now being listed incorrectly. The information in the description is partially correct, "Included with this item is a LOA stating that this jersey originated from the New York Mets", however, it should be further noted that they were "purchased by the New York Mets specifically for their various minor league teams".

I remember others on Ebay offering road gray jerseys that had METS sewn on front (when it should of course have NEW YORK), and also claiming these were worn by the New York Mets.

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net