PDA

View Full Version : A quick question....

sfgiants452
03-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi,

I just asking this for my own knowledge. I know this is a mostly baseball site but would someone know the value of a autographed game used stick of Wayne Gretzky? I have seen a lot of Gretzky sticks go off for pretty cheap prices and I was shocked. Can anyone help?

THANKS

suave1477
03-09-2006, 10:04 PM
I would not know the general market value of the stick but i can only imagine that prices would mostly go down due to the betting scandal around him caused by his wife and him being an accesory to it.

sfgiants452
03-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the response!!!!

Swoboda4
03-09-2006, 10:13 PM
A good question. If Canseco can ask $5,000(did he actually sell those items?) for his 40/40 bat,I would guess a real G/U stick from The Great One would go for(In Steiner Dollars)$2,000-$7,000. This is incorporating the formula(Hockey doesn't sell)+(It's greatest player)=X.

Nathan
03-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Hockey doesn't sell? That's news to me. Heck, I just saw a Chicago Blackhawks sweater from 1987-88 sell for around $4,000 on eBay.

The reality is, more so with hockey than the other sports, many more collectors vehemently oppose having an autograph on a game item of any kind. One particular gentleman, Joe Tomon, has a nice side business removing autographs from jerseys.

The scandal hasn't really affected Gretzky in the hockey world; it has much more so in the eyes of everyone else outside of hockey (in much the same way that all sorts of people who can't tell a puck from their, um, rear end suddenly became hockey experts after Todd Bertuzzi delivered the punch heard 'round the world). Gretzky recently had his first NHL jersey sell for around $200,000 at auction; as far as a game stick goes, you may want to leaf through the archives of Classic Auctions.

trsent
03-09-2006, 11:44 PM
The answers are all wrong.

The truth is Wayne Gretzky has sold his game used sticks which has hurt the current market prices for them.

I remember Upper Deck Authenticated sold me a few autographed game used Wayne Gretzky hockey sticks back in the day. I do not remember what I paid, but the price was pretty reasonable.

gretzcollector
08-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi,

I know this is an older thread but I just stumbled upon it. I have bought and sold a few Gretzky game used sticks over the last couple of years. I have found that the market value all depends on what team Wayne played for while using the stick. The most valuable are his Titan wood sticks that he used while playing for Edmonton. Most likely you will pay between $1,500 - $2,000 for a legit stick. I say "legit" bec there are a ton of faked Gretzky sticks out there as well. You have to be very careful. His LA Easton sticks generally sell for $1,000- $1,600. His Ranger sticks tend to sell around $1,000. Of course, sticks he used close to milestones and/or records will sell for more. I hope that helps.

trsent
08-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Nice post and welcome to the GUU forum!

gretzcollector
08-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Thank you!! Nice to be here. This is a great forum with lots of valuable information.

worldchamps
08-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Gretzcollector,

I tried sending you a private message, not sure if you have found that part of the site yet. But if you could email me at rangersstars@yahoo.com I would like to send you some pictures of a Gretzky stick I bought and get your opinions on it.

thanks
Bill

gretzcollector
08-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Hi Bill,

Sorry, I didn't know you had sent me a private message. I'm not even sure how to retrieve those. I will send you an email today.