PDA

View Full Version : Are card companies interest against GU collectors?

joelsabi
08-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Are card companies interest against GU collectors and how can we buy up team collections before card companies get a hand on them?

frikativ54
08-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Card companies aren't against game used collectors at all, insofar as they only cut up regular-season items of modern-day players. I would rather have a jersey cut up into several peices and actually be enjoyed by the masses, than to have some rich collector have the entire piece in his bedroom closet. I think it's great for the hobby when a little kid can own a piece of Barry Bonds's game-used jersey. That's what collecting is all about, namely, having a piece of a favorite player's game used memorabilia.

What I am against is card companies cutting up all-star jerseys and milestone items. And it's not only card companies that are getting into the fun. Look at this manufactured "beauty":

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Ichiro1000thhitball.jpg

You can get a piece of a ball from Ichiro's 1,000th hit game, along with a replica lineup card, for $300. As a fan of the game, I just wish that these milestone balls were left whole, so I could have the opportunity of owning one.

Balls from a milestone game can be sold, but I would prefer to have the actual balls go to the Hall of Fame, as opposed to ending up in a private collection.

Hope this clarifies my position.

TFig27
08-08-2008, 06:33 PM
With about 40-50 balls used per game, I wouldn't care a whole lot about cutting up a baseball.

frikativ54
08-08-2008, 06:51 PM
With about 40-50 balls used per game, I wouldn't care a whole lot about cutting up a baseball.

But as I understand, only a handful are MLB Authenticated.

kellsox
08-08-2008, 06:53 PM
I read somewhere that about 120 baseballs are used per game. They can cut up as many as they want- they all look the same anyway. They wouldn't cut them up to sell if there wasn't demand for them.
kelly

ifirocked
08-08-2008, 07:04 PM
even if they cut up milestone items i just wished they would have a photo on the back of the card showing the item befor it was cut. better yet a video on their web site showing them cutting the item.

frikativ54
08-08-2008, 07:04 PM
I read somewhere that about 120 baseballs are used per game. They can cut up as many as they want- they all look the same anyway.

kelly

Game used baseballs look different, with their characteristic hues and ball marks. They are fun to collect, especially when they are used in milestone games. I still think it's upsetting when they cut them up, since they ruin the individual character of the baseballs.

joelsabi
08-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Card companies aren't against game used collectors at all, insofar as they only cut up regular-season items of modern-day players.

they have other thing besides modern-day player items such as donruss cutting up a bath ruth jersey.

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/news/2003/1020/1642358.html

Nathan
08-08-2008, 09:52 PM
The problem is that, quite literally, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

joelsabi
08-09-2008, 01:43 PM
just wondering if anyone thinks in the future players game used equipment will be difficult to obtain because of exclusive rights by companies (ie. steiner) or because of team collections bought out by card companies.

is game used cards here to stay or a fad like insert cards in the early 90's?

frikativ54
08-09-2008, 03:41 PM
just wondering if anyone thinks in the future players game used equipment will be difficult to obtain because of exclusive rights by companies (ie. steiner) or because of team collections bought out by card companies.

I actually don't think that will be a problem. Rather, I'd bet you will see exclusives flood the market with game used stuff, in the attempt to meet demand and make a quick buck. Plus, only a small percentage of teams sign on with Steiner.

is game used cards here to stay or a fad like insert cards in the early 90's?

I consider game-used cards to be a fad. They used to have prices that were through the roof, but now you can get game-used cards for a fraction of what they were once worth. You might see them for a while, though, because the card companies don't seem to be able to come up with anything new.

trsent
08-09-2008, 04:29 PM
I consider game-used cards to be a fad. They used to have prices that were through the roof, but now you can get game-used cards for a fraction of what they were once worth. You might see them for a while, though, because the card companies don't seem to be able to come up with anything new.

Always fun to think about what they will come up with to be the next big fad.

My mind is a blank (no jokes here Warren!) but I am sure they will come up with something revolutionary.

bigtruck260
08-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Always fun to think about what they will come up with to be the next big fad.

My mind is a blank (no jokes here Warren!) but I am sure they will come up with something revolutionary.

Joel -

You are a smart guy. I enjoy reading your posts - seriously. Just wanted to say that.

When Topps put a slice of George Washington's hair into a card in the 2006 Allen and Ginter product, it was totally different than anything else out there. A DNA card...who would have thought?

I have a feeling we will see in the future:

More sweepstakes and lottery cards. You pull a special card and win something great, like a jersey or bat. These have been offered before, but I have a feeling that the GU boom will force card companies to increase the amount of giveaways.

Autographed (real) milestone ticket stubs...this would be really cool.

Vouchers for tickets to games.

I know that at least one company has put $100 bills in their product.

Game used cards serve their purpose. Not everyone can afford a game-used collection. Kids still want to have a "piece" of their favorite athlete. To have something tangible inside of a baseball card is probably still a thrill to many people - especially since they serial number things so low now. When I was a kid, I spent a good portion of my money buying the 1989-1993 Upper Deck product...mostly in hopes of pulling a Reggie Jackson, Nolan Ryan or Hank Aaron autograph.

Back then, autographs in packs were innovative. Here we are almost 20 years later, and things have evolved. On some cards, you can get 6 or more autographs from the greatest players in any game. Sweet.

GU cards might not have the value they once did, but they are certainly not a fad. Fads are short-term situations that fade very quickly - like tight-rolling your jeans or Vanilla Ice. Game used cards have been around for 10 years...and people still collect and spend big bucks on them. Beckett tracks the highest priced sales in their magazine - I have seen MANY GU cards sell for thousands of dollars.

Personally, I quit collecting cards to concentrate on my bat collection - and though I was never into the GU cards...I understood why people bought them. I agree with the poster who said that the companies should give multiple images/video of the item they are cutting up so that the buyer can see exactly where the little slice of material originated. You might be suprised at the number of retail bats that have been used in them...

Thanks for listening.

frikativ54
08-10-2008, 01:01 PM
I have a feeling we will see in the future:

More sweepstakes and lottery cards. You pull a special card and win something great, like a jersey or bat. These have been offered before, but I have a feeling that the GU boom will force card companies to increase the amount of giveaways.

Autographed (real) milestone ticket stubs...this would be really cool.

Vouchers for tickets to games.

I know that at least one company has put $100 bills in their product.

These are great ideas. Lately, cut signatures have been very popular. In these cases, card companies take a signature of a deceased athlete on, say, an index card or a check, and make it fit into a card window. However, sosme of the cut signatures have been fake, which adds a whole new layer of controversy to the industry.

Game used cards serve their purpose. Not everyone can afford a game-used collection. Kids still want to have a "piece" of their favorite athlete. To have something tangible inside of a baseball card is probably still a thrill to many people - especially since they serial number things so low now.

I definitely agree with you here. Game used cards are often attractive to kids. However, the game-used business needs more visibility; I know that many people want to collect game used but don't know where to start. This was my position last summer. Now that I know about GUU and other forums, I know where to turn.