PDA

View Full Version : any of you guys heard of....

joecoco
08-09-2008, 01:05 PM
clubhouse attendants wiping excess pine tar off of bats before
they are sent out? I remember this point being brought up before
and wanted to get some input on it. Not sure why this would be done.
- Joe Cocozzella

metsbats
08-11-2008, 06:32 AM
Joe,

Not sure what before they are sent out means? Are you referrring to being sent back to HB or sent out to the bat racks between games?

The only player I ever heard of who used to clean up his bats between games was Gregg Jefferies during his early years with the Mets. Jefferies was fanatical with keeping his bats pristine between games to a point where he used to try to wipe hit marks off the barrel. Don't think he even used pine tar because of this.

As far as clubhouse attendants practicing this for any reason I've never heard of this (though it may be done). The only reason I could imagine this being done (beside a player being fanatical) is to send a bat back to HB as to not throw off the weight but these days everything is computerized in manufacturing I don't think this is even necessary anymore.

Interesting question.

David

joecoco
08-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the reply!

I never knew that about Gregg Jefferies. I apologize about my vague question. What I meant was if the attendants cleaned bats off before being released out of the clubhouse to whomever. I recall this being brought up in the past in regards to Biggio and was wondering if anyone else had heard of this being done. Thanks again! - Joe

metsbats
08-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Joe,

No need to apologize for vagueness. Initial questions are most of the time followed by followup questions. Not just here but in real life too ;)

Perhaps some of the Astros/Biggio collectors can shed some light on this.

Regards
David