PDA

View Full Version : Question on new classified

RKGIBSON
08-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Could the administrators please explain the thinking behind the $500.00 limit on the items posted in the for sale section? I personally was disappointed to see this.

Roger

frikativ54
08-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately, the powers that be are more concerned with their "good name", than they are with what the GUU collecting community wants. This is ironic because Game Used Universe does not have a very good name outside of this website, where the initiated constantly extol Chris Cavalier, et al. at every juncture. In short, GUU is afraid of being held responsible for larger dollar transactions. Moreover, GUU is becoming a wannabe auction house. Instead of posting a big ticket item for sale, you will have to send it in, and the "expert authenticators" will certify it in the name of the omnicient entity that is GUU. Then you will know with 110% certitude that your memorabilia is authentic.

Vintagedeputy
08-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Unfortunately, the powers that be are more concerned with their "good name", than they are with what the GUU collecting community wants. This is ironic because Game Used Universe does not have a very good name outside of this website, where the initiated constantly extol Chris Cavalier, et al. at every juncture. In short, GUU is afraid of being held responsible for larger dollar transactions. Moreover, GUU is becoming a wannabe auction house. Instead of posting a big ticket item for sale, you will have to send it in, and the "expert authenticators" will certify it in the name of the omnicient entity that is GUU. Then you will know with 110% certitude that your memorabilia is authentic.

Wow frik, you just keep pissing into the wind....nice to see that you have heeded the advice of those trying to help you out.

allstarsplus
08-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Unfortunately, the powers that be are more concerned with their "good name", than they are with what the GUU collecting community wants.

Frik - You made a bold statement above so tell us, what does the GUU collecting community want?

TFig27
08-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Frik - You made a bold statement above so tell us, what does the GUU collecting community want?

a $5 footlong from Subway?

frikativ54
08-09-2008, 09:08 PM

From reading this site, a good number of people just want the old "for sale" section back. Everybody voiced their opinions, and the majority don't like the arbitrary $500 limit. And many agreed with me that dealers should be allowed to post their blow-out sales here. It seems as if a few of you aren't reading the same forum I am reading.

allstarsplus
08-09-2008, 09:25 PM
It seems as if a few of you aren't reading the same forum I am reading.

You are giving a small portion of what a group that has voiced their opinion want only with regards to the "For Sale" section.

I thought you were going to give a broader insight into what the GUU collecting community wants.

GUF is so much more than the "For Sale".

As a dealer, I am prohibited from listing on the "For Sale". I understand that Chris wants the "For Sale" to be for Collector to Collector not Dealer to Collector. Its his site.

ndevlin
08-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I dont see a "huge" problem with the $500 limit. At least there is a section now, right? My opinion, not only the limit for security purposes, but it also could make you give in to sending your high end items($500+) for GUU future auctions.

I personally dont care whether or not if we have a "For Sale" section. And I def. dont care about the rules that go along with it. I just had a problem with how it was handled. The wait, the deadlines that werent fulfilled, the new system they were testing for months to only throw all away for what we have now in a 3 day span. Like I said, I just didnt like how the whole thing was handled. Maybe in a more professional manner?

Security purposes? Sure!

Another way of saying, hey, send your high end items our way for our future GUU auctions? Perhaps

I gave my opinion, like everyone else does. I respect yours, please respect mine.

sylbry
08-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Unfortunately, the powers that be are more concerned with their "good name", than they are with what the GUU collecting community wants.

The GUU collecting community also wants you to stop your bitching.

Chris Cavelier & Co pay the bills. They can do whatever they want. End of story.

ironmanfan
08-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Unfortunately, the powers that be are more concerned with their "good name", than they are with what the GUU collecting community wants. This is ironic because Game Used Universe does not have a very good name outside of this website, where the initiated constantly extol Chris Cavalier, et al. at every juncture.

Frk, WHERE exactly does GUU NOT have a good name? Everyone I've ever met at shows, email discussions, etc. have nothing but praise for this board and the information it passes on and the fraud it exposes. I would think the only people that wouldn't think highly of GUU would be the Grey Flannels, Heritages, AMI's and Lou Lampsons of the world (is that your circle of friends?).

B1SON
08-09-2008, 09:41 PM

Chris Cavelier & Co pay the bills. They can do whatever they want. End of story.

AHMEN!!!!!!!!++++++++++++++++++++++

frikativ54
08-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Frk, WHERE exactly does GUU NOT have a good name? Everyone I've ever met at shows, email discussions, etc. have nothing but praise for this board and the information it passes on and the fraud it exposes. I would think the only people that wouldn't think highly of GUU would be the Grey Flannels, Heritages, AMI's and Lou Lampsons of the world (is that your circle of friends?).

Dealers often say that Game Used Universe overlooks when its own senior members sell questionable items. Plus, there is a lot of complaining about a few "suspect" dealers, without a whole lot of substance to back it up. For example, people make continuous jokes about Lou Lampson, and there hasn't been enough credible information about him lately to implicate him in certifying bad items. And it's not just one person in the hobby; a number of people don't think highly of Game Used Universe. I would agree that there is good information on here, but there is also a lot of mocking behavior that doesn't benefit the hobby. BTW - I don't know anyone from the aforementioned companies.

Dewey2007
08-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Could the administrators please explain the thinking behind the $500.00 limit on the items posted in the for sale section? I personally was disappointed to see this.

Roger

It seems to me that Roger asked the administrators to please explain the reasoning behind the $500 limit. Let's let them handle this one. Please don't let Frik's comments bait everyone into another never-ending thread.

frikativ54
08-09-2008, 10:05 PM
It seems to me that Roger asked the administrators to please explain the reasoning behind the $500 limit. Let's let them handle this one. Please don't let Frik's comments bait everyone into another never-ending thread.

I have given the OP a sufficient answer. Here are the three reasons for the new "Collector to Collector Classifieds" forum's $500 limit:

1) Liability - They do not want to be held responsible for fake items.

2) Reputation - They do not want fake big ticket items to tarnish their "good name".

3) Money - They are interested in lining their own pockets with the money that is the fruit of auction-style listings

I don't know how I can spell out their intent any clearer than this.

Vintagedeputy
08-09-2008, 10:13 PM
For example, people make continuous jokes about Lou Lampson, and there hasn't been enough credible information about him lately to implicate him in certifying bad items.

ok, inquiring minds want to know...how is the weather on the planet you are from?

What GUF are YOU reading for you to say that there isnt enough information about Lou certifying bad items?

frikativ54
08-09-2008, 10:24 PM
ok, inquiring minds want to know...how is the weather on the planet you are from?

As I peer out over the Seattle sunset, I take in the beauty of the scenery. I am from planet Earth.

What GUF are YOU reading for you to say that there isnt enough information about Lou certifying bad items?

I said "recent" information. From what I've read on here, there is enough information to make a judgment that Lampson has certified many questionable items. The problem is that most of this information is months old. The amount of Lampson jokes far outnumber the many authentication mistakes he has made. And I don't think they are beneficial to the hobby. That's all I said.

Vintagedeputy
08-09-2008, 10:26 PM
[/b]

As I peer out over the Seattle sunset, I take in the beauty of the scenery. I am from planet Earth.

[b]

I said "recent" information. From what I've read on here, there is enough information to make a judgment that Lampson has certified many questionable items. The problem is that most of this information is months old. The amount of Lampson jokes far outnumber the many authentication mistakes he has made. And I don't think they are beneficial to the hobby. That's all I said.

So because no one has caught him today, that gives him a clean slate? Please.

frikativ54
08-09-2008, 10:33 PM
So because no one has caught him today, that gives him a clean slate? Please.

That's not what I'm saying at all; Lou Lampson has a track-record of being unscrupulous in his authentication of game-used items. The point is that this forum was formed for the education of the game-used community. However, it is fast becoming a clique of guys who like to make jokes at the expense of certain authenticators, while giving free passes to some of the shady dealers with "senior member" status on the Game Used Forums.

Vintagedeputy
08-09-2008, 10:46 PM
it is fast becoming a clique of guys who like to make jokes at the expense of certain authenticators, while giving free passes to some of the shady dealers with "senior member" status on the Game Used Forums.

Please identify the shady dealers and provide proof of their shady dealings. If you can provide this, perhaps the GU community here will ask for their removal. Dont hesitate, you opened the door, name the names.

frikativ54
08-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Please identify the shady dealers and provide proof of their shady dealings. If you can provide this, perhaps the GU community here will ask for their removal. Dont hesitate, you opened the door, name the names.

You need only look through past threads. I cannot name names or give proof, because I would be violating confidence.

frikativ54
08-09-2008, 10:50 PM
You need only look through past threads. I cannot name names or give proof, because I would be violating confidence.

And for the dealer whose name has never come up, he should count himself lucky. Because I would be violating confidence as well if I name names.

Vintagedeputy
08-09-2008, 10:53 PM

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/section/movies/amg/video/cov120/drv000/v036/v03633qvytq.jpg

trsent
08-09-2008, 11:30 PM
You are giving a small portion of what a group that has voiced their opinion want only with regards to the "For Sale" section.

I thought you were going to give a broader insight into what the GUU collecting community wants.

GUF is so much more than the "For Sale".

As a dealer, I am prohibited from listing on the "For Sale". I understand that Chris wants the "For Sale" to be for Collector to Collector not Dealer to Collector. Its his site.

I do not understand the dealer terminology not being allowed to list items in this new forum. I already see a dealer selling in this group and I do not know when the powers will remove their listing as the promised they would when a dealer posts in this forum.

Then again, don't some dealers have items in their personal collection they may wish to sell?

This was a bad decision in my opinion. Since there is already at least one dealer posting in this section, when will something be done or will this policy not be enforced?

I just do not understand how the listings will be policed for dealer and non-dealer activities and why it should matter if honest people are using this group.

chakes89
08-10-2008, 12:26 AM

I second this statement

both-teams-played-hard
08-10-2008, 12:58 AM
I just do not understand how the listings will be policed for dealer and non-dealer activities and why it should matter if honest people are using this group.
OK...I agree with Joel. Yeah, I said it. I'm not afraid to admit it.

As for Frik..DUUUUDE! You are a Game Used Forum Legend! You're right up there with Rocco, James Rast and that guy who called himself Pujols, then changed his name to young gameused collector, then ISU fan, then was banned, then called out this forum and its moderators on eBay in a Pujols jersey auction. On one of your latest posts, I chose to take the high road and offer you some words of encouragement. Slow down homes! You're about to crash and burn! I'm not trying to clown you, I think you're a good guy with some issues. As Eric Burdon and War said: "Why Can't We Be Friends?" I know, I know you're against war, but that's just the name of the band. If I see a post that deserves 5 replys and it has 27....I think to myself, "oh heck, what has Frik done now?"

ChrisCavalier
08-10-2008, 01:01 AM
Dealers often say that Game Used Universe overlooks when its own senior members sell questionable items.
Leslie,

What the heck are you talking about? We are the only company I know of that allows potential buyers to publicly ask questions about items they are interested in and we allow anyone from the collective community with substantiated information to respond so collectors can know everything they want to know before buying an item. The way our system is set up, there is no way we can "overlook questionable items". In fact, it is likely the most accountable system in the hobby and one that protects collectors unlike any other. Your comment is simply not true.

To be very honest, it seems your only purpose in coming here to the site is to try to discredit us for whatever reason. However, there are at least two problems with what you are doing. They include:

1) The information you are posting is incorrect. For example, I am personally at the grass roots and I have heard more times then you can imagine how collectors value what we are doing and trust us as much, if not more, than just about any entity in the hobby. The FBI even commended us for the way we are running our business and said they use this site to help them get information about the hobby. Your comments to try to discredit us are simply not true and unfounded.

2) I have spoken with quite a few very knowledgeable collectors (including quite a few at the National) who told me they love the site and read the forum but will not post because they don't want to have to debate with negative posters like you. Personally, I have relationships with these collectors and can ask them for information whenever I need it. The problem is the constant negativity from people like you is preventing knowledgeable people from posting and depriving the other members of the forum the knowledge other collectors would be willing to share otherwise.

If you don't like us or the forum then please feel free to go elsewhere. Besides the fact that your posts are constantly pushing the forum rules regarding personal attacks and baiting, you are actually a factor in preventing other forum members from benefiting from even more potential knowledge being shared here. If you want to help the others here, either start trying to share useful information that benefits the community or please find another place to complain.

On a separate note, for those wanting to know why the collector to collector forum is set up as it is, here is a post explaining it for you:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=93867&postcount=1

bigtruck260
08-10-2008, 01:06 AM
And for the dealer whose name has never come up, he should count himself lucky. Because I would be violating confidence as well if I name names.

Yo Frik -

For the amount of complaining you do about GUU, you sure like posting in the forum. I am guessing that there is a part of you that is bitter - and looking for confrontation from someone somewhere.

You use big words that are not necessary to get your point across. They do not make you sound any more educated than other members...everyone with a computer has access to a thesaurus.

I think that if I were you, and I had the attitude you appear to have about this site - I would have no problem naming the names of the members who are "scammers", etc. You might as well, lately it seems like you are TRYING to get booted. Every other post or thread you make is something to do with the powers that be here.

I like you Frik, you do contribute - and I know you are a passionate fan/collector. However, the confrontational posting is becoming tiresome.
If you don't like the site, try going to another Game Used site that offers a forum such as this one.

Peace...I hope you eventually find it.
Your friend in St. Louis,

Vintagedeputy
08-10-2008, 01:54 AM
Motley Crue said it best.......

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Acf6ViMZOPoJ::www.cityfm.ro/system/files/motley%252Bcrue.jpg

Dont go away mad......
Just go away

frikativ54
08-10-2008, 01:55 AM
Yo Frik -

For the amount of complaining you do about GUU, you sure like posting in the forum. I am guessing that there is a part of you that is bitter - and looking for confrontation from someone somewhere.

I am extremely frustrated. In several threads, I have stated the reasons why I am bitter, and I am repeatedly mocked on this site. For example, I am concerned about the poor business ethics of some on this forum, and I am derided as some Leftist hippie whacko who plays protest music. I am a political moderate, and yet Warren tells me that I am against all wars and makes social activist references I don't even understand.

In truth, I am a political activist, and I do see connections between some of what is written about Game Used Collecting and politics. This board is far more conservative than I am, and it can be frustrating, in that what you believe is good business, to me is unethical. I have a big problem with flipping, especially if you are ripping off an unsuspecting buyer. And I don't believe that just because a business can do something, that it is the right thing to do.

You use big words that are not necessary to get your point across. They do not make you sound any more educated than other members...everyone with a computer has access to a thesaurus.

I have never once used a Thesaurus when posting here. I state my ideas in the words that come to my mind. If the way they are formulated bothers you, then I have no panacea.

I think that if I were you, and I had the attitude you appear to have about this site - I would have no problem naming the names of the members who are "scammers", etc. You might as well, lately it seems like you are TRYING to get booted. Every other post or thread you make is something to do with the powers that be here.

I am between a rock and a hard place. If I state names, my threads will be deleted and called "personal attacks". Yet I am seriously concerned, because there are people on this forum who have been selling bad items, and they get away with it. And there are others like Lou Lampson who are constantly lampooned, even though they haven't done much questionable lately.

Peace...I hope you eventually find it.
Your friend in St. Louis,

I hope I find it soon. This hobby has really been an introduction to the dark side of business for me.

frikativ54
08-10-2008, 02:23 AM
Leslie,

To be very honest, it seems your only purpose in coming here to the site is to try to discredit us for whatever reason.

Have you read many of my other posts? I have done far more than discredit this forum. Matter of fact, I have not even discredited this forum at all; I just am concerned with some of the things that have happened here in the last 10 days. I did not complain about GUU at any time previous to AWA85's banning, and it is only in the past 10 days that I have heard some disturbing stories about GUU. As for my contributions to this forum, I often post asking questions, reply to others' want ads, or exposing forgers and scammers (remember manica71). Furthermore, through my persistence, I have influenced the way that MLB.com Auctions ships lineup cards, and they have also promised to improve their customer service. I have also stood up to sexism on this board, which I view is an invaluable contribution.

1) The information you are posting is incorrect. For example, I am personally at the grass roots and I have heard more times then you can imagine how collectors value what we are doing and trust us as much, if not more, than just about any entity in the hobby. The FBI even commended us for the way we are running our business and said they use this site to help them get information about the hobby. Your comments to try to discredit us are simply not true and unfounded.

Would you tell us if people said any different?

2) I have spoken with quite a few very knowledgeable collectors (including quite a few at the National) who told me they love the site and read the forum but will not post because they don't want to have to debate with negative posters like you. Personally, I have relationships with these collectors and can ask them for information whenever I need it. The problem is the constant negativity from people like you is preventing knowledgeable people from posting and depriving the other members of the forum the knowledge other collectors would be willing to share otherwise.

Did people at the National actually tell you that frikativ54 was their reason for not posting on Game Used Universe? I highly doubt it. You have constructed a world where everybody who critiques this website is seen as against the noble ideas of Game Used Universe. I have done a lot for this site with my attention to detail, willingness to ask questions, and going to bat for the collector.

My problem is that critiques of forum policies and members business practices only result in ad hominem attacks against me. I get made fun of on this board, and yet I am the one who is accused of personal attacks. I just don't understand it. I simply would like to rid the collecting community of those who just want to make a quick buck, and for that, I am vilified. Furthermore, I am attacked because of my negativity. However, I am only reporting my true experiences in this hobby.

Instead of accusing me of not making contributions to this board, why not answer my questions about when AWA85 is going to be reinstated? Why not refrain from deleting my posts when I am concerned about certain forum members' business practices?

The problem is that I am left in a position of either expressing generall anger or getting censured because I expose the fact that certain dealers are out only for profits.

b.heagy
08-10-2008, 02:36 AM
mlb.com makes a pretty quick buck.

frikativ54
08-10-2008, 02:39 AM
mlb.com makes a pretty quick buck.

They actually give 90% of proceeds to charity. I am happy that I can get a game-used item and still have my money still go to a good cause.

both-teams-played-hard
08-10-2008, 02:48 AM
The problem is that I am left
The irony is I actually agree with Frik's political views 100%. I have already admitted that i'm a wanna-be subversive radical (and that is no joke).

I expose the fact that certain dealers are out only for profits.
As opposed to the dealers who sell items for less than they paid...just for kicks?

chakes89
08-10-2008, 04:14 AM
I wish there was an ignore button on this site........................

trsent
08-10-2008, 04:28 AM
I wish there was an ignore button on this site........................

There is!

Click User CP (blue Bar on top part of screen)
Click under Miscellaneous: Buddy/Ignore Lists

Enter new user to list!

jetersbatboy
08-10-2008, 04:48 AM
Suggestion for the new classified, maybe GUU should require all for sale items to be posted with a picture. That way all members can see an item rather then just who is interested. it will enable members to better police the items by having more partys view it and give a opinion based on a visual examination rather the just name recognition. It may also deter people "dealers" from mass posting due to the fact it would take them more time and effort to post.
Thanks For Reading Scott

Vintagedeputy
08-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Suggestion for the new classified, maybe GUU should require all for sale items to be posted with a picture. That way all members can see an item rather then just who is interested. it will enable members to better police the items by having more partys view it and give a opinion based on a visual examination rather the just name recognition. It may also deter people "dealers" from mass posting due to the fact it would take them more time and effort to post.
Thanks For Reading Scott

That's not a bad idea. Sounds good to me.

allstarsplus
08-10-2008, 08:16 AM
I have spoken to some collectors that look at the site but don't Post because they don't want all the drama that goes with Posts here.

In my opinion, it is Threads like this that turn people away.

Frik, you have made some good contributions in the past but recently the Posts have been very Off Topic. We certainly don't need to hear about your political views as there are enough Forums where you can do that.

I think if Chris was limiting items to $500 or less so he could get them on his Auction he is shortsighted as he would have homefield advantage to look at premium items and try to get the sellers to put them on the auction. Just my opinion.

As far as dealers go, I would be a dealer under the current system that can't sell on here, but it is good to keep some away who don't contribute to the site but would only want to use this as their personal listing site and that would not be good. I think dealers that have posted 500 or more times have shown they have contributed and should be allowed to Post on the "For Sale". Chris, what do you think of that idea?

ironmanfan
08-10-2008, 08:41 AM
They actually give 90% of proceeds to charity. I am happy that I can get a game-used item and still have my money still go to a good cause.

Please show me exactly where MLB.com gives "90% of proceeds to charity." Some of their GU listings, the proceeds from a particular Line Up card for example will go to that particular teams charity, but please show me where MLB.com themselves (the entity actually holding the auction) gives 90% to charity of their cut. And thinking this yourself, when you bitched to them enough to actually get some money back on that Bagwell, lineup card, that you were taking money away from these so called "good causes?"

mvandor
08-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Frik, while I understand and even share in your concerns, your way of presenting your points is coming across as sabre rattling, and over the top. You're just working your way toward a ban no one will argue over with your views getting lost in the process.

The bottom line IMHO is that the limit is principally motivated by the desire to channel higher valued items into the auctions. I've been a business man for 25 years and that's extremely clear to me. The other reasons given are so far down the list as to be nearly irrelevant, even to some extent on the liability concerns. IMHO there is FAR more liability exposure in just offering the forums because of the perennial criticisms (usually well founded) against bad product and bad people populating the industry which could generate legal backlash.

Alot of the recent unrest here seems to me to be based on some of us waking up to the fact that GUU has now shed its altruistic clothing to become a for-profit business, and that shifting management decisions altering the landscape here are now business driven. Personally, I now view the forums as a loss leader, a part of The GUU Auction House's marketing plan to attract potential auction clients, and that will forever affect how I look at and feel about these forums.

If others are reacting that way as well, I understand.

Does it mean the forums will lose their value to the community? Likely not so long as Chris continues to exercise some sensitivity and light handedness in administration of the thing. A few too many bans or other actions appearing profit driven, however, will most certainly drive some away seeking the non-profit environment this once seemed like.

RKGIBSON
08-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Wow, I did not ask the question to create this type of response. Personally, I think the limit is ridiculous. I ask the question to get a response from GUU and to provoke thought and debate on this rule. As a paying member, I think we should try and make the forum better by questioning and talking about thing such as this.

I am in business myself so I expect no one to provide a service for no return. If the for sale section rule is about money then I think it needs to be done a different way. Create a For Sale button that triggers a login for paying members to post items. Something other than the $500.00 limit that you have now.

Yes, I bring this up because I have bought some really good items for my collection from forum members that have posted here. All were over $500.00. This forum says it is to bring collectors together. I read this as a attempt to control everything. There are other things that need regulated much more that the for sale section such as the personal attacks on forum and non-forum members.

I respectfully ask this question to completely understand it.

Roger

ChrisCavalier
08-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Alot of the recent unrest here seems to me to be based on some of us waking up to the fact that GUU has now shed its altruistic clothing to become a for-profit business...
Hello Michael,

I think you once stated you were a lawyer. If so, would you mind answering the following two questions:

1) Do you do any 'pro bono' or free work for others (I hope you do)?
2) Do you charge any of your clients a fee to represent them?

If you are not a lawyer, does the 'business' you referenced in your quote offer all its products or services free of charge or do you also charge a fee for what you offer? I will add a few additional thoughts but I'd like to hear your answer to these questions first.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

otismalibu
08-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Sweet Mother Of Abraham Zapruder! What a thread.

There's this new web site on this new fangled information super highway. They call it eBay. Stupid name if ya ask me, but it seems to get some traffic.

Anyway, you can sell stuff for a penny, $100, $500, $5000, or even a kazillion dollars. And as much as I like this site, I'm guessing a seller would get more exposure at that eBay place. How much do you think the Virgin Mary grilled cheese would fetch here? Nuff said.

So if I was a serious penny pincher, I'd sell my stuff for $500 and under on this site. And then for my big ticket items, I'd wait for one of those cheap listing days on eBay.

Most importantly, you need to have a ME page created on eBay. That's where you can tell everyone a little bit about yourself and post a Paypal Donate link. This way, complete strangers can give you money so you don't have to cover any selling expenses yourself. It's your God given right to sell anything you want and net 100% of the sale. That how it works for everyone else on the planet, so you shouldn'y be the only one getting burned with expenses. You'll have to create a 2nd eBay ID and a 2nd Paypal Donate link, to cover the costs of accepting Paypal with the first ID.

Good luck!

ham1963
08-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Hey frikativ54,
It sounds to me that you need to do one or all of the following to change your attitude.
1. Go to a baseballgame and enjoy yourself.
2. Get a dog and complain to it (Seems to be the only thing that might listen to you if you have food for it).
3. Go to a Okland Raiders game and sit in the black hole section wearing a Steelers jersey ( You will make some new friends).
4. Get a new friend to show you that there are other things in life.
John:D

cigarman44
08-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Sweet Mother Of Abraham Zapruder! What a thread.

There's this new web site on this new fangled information super highway. They call it eBay. Stupid name if ya ask me, but it seems to get some traffic.

Anyway, you can sell stuff for a penny, $100, $500, $5000, or even a kazillion dollars. And as much as I like this site, I'm guessing a seller would get more exposure at that eBay place. How much do you think the Virgin Mary grilled cheese would fetch here? Nuff said.

My thoughts exactly! There is under 3000 members on this site. I have been a member for a year and have maybe seen a total of 150 of them post. It's the same people day in and day out. Id say atleast 2000 "members" have been inactive for over a year.

This place isn't going to being you top dollar for anything in the classified section. I don't see what the big deal is. I payed 150.00 in fees on ebay and paypal last couple months, but I can gaurantee I made that up in the prices I would have gotten for stuff on here fee free. Just deal with the 500.00 limit or sell somewhere else.

chakes89
08-10-2008, 05:29 PM
There is!

Enter new user to list!

Thank You So Much

Danny899
08-10-2008, 06:59 PM
There is!

Enter new user to list!

Mr. Alpert, Thanks for showing us a way to try to avoid the endless back and forth crying and bickering. The same 2 or 3 guys fighting over and over about the same things. Some of these guys must be hooked up here 24/7. They post on nearly every topic. Perhaps a "crybaby thread" or a "Lampson thread" where they can go back and forth. They must post and then wait and wait for that indivdual to post back so they can respond again. It's amazing how sensitive some are. Anyway, Joel sorry to break the mold here and bring up a gamer item, but I still have a real nice jersey that I picked up through you a few years back. You definetely have quality pieces that display nicely. Lastly, please let me know when this forum goes back to what it"s called, "Game Used Forum"

frikativ54
08-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Thank You So Much

Perhaps the ignore button should be called the "Frik Filter".

Vintagedeputy
08-10-2008, 07:57 PM

http://forums.collectors.com/i/expressions/agree.gif

Danny899
08-10-2008, 08:00 PM

Now THAT was funny! Be careful with the humor though, some of the 1000+ posters here don't take kindly to it.

Vintagedeputy
08-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Now THAT was funny! Be careful with the humor though, some of the 1000+ posters here don't take kindly to it.

1698, but who's counting? :)

BIGSTIG
08-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Sorry guys but I have an actual question for admin. No bitching, whining or joking here :)-

Just wondering if someone posts something that they are looking to trade are we still limited to the $500 limit? I am guessing yes, but I just want to make sure before I post.

Thanks for everything. I joined after the old for sale section was removed, but I like this. I have already sold something from it :)

mvandor
08-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Hello Michael,

I think you once stated you were a lawyer. If so, would you mind answering the following two questions:

1) Do you do any 'pro bono' or free work for others (I hope you do)?
2) Do you charge any of your clients a fee to represent them?

If you are not a lawyer, does the 'business' you referenced in your quote offer all its products or services free of charge or do you also charge a fee for what you offer? I will add a few additional thoughts but I'd like to hear your answer to these questions first.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

No Chris, I am not a lawyer, as I indicated I've been a businessman for approximately the last 25 years, covering two different industries.

I do not begrudge you your new business effort at all, in fact your creative auction business model brings much to the table. However, these forums did not begin as part of a business before being given a home here at GUU. They began as a non-profit volunteer effort, as I was informed through several sidebars with Eric.

Up until the auction launch I (and I suspect others) simply did not view GUU as a business, but was under the misimpression it was a non-profit effort by several passionate collectors to attempt to improve the hobby (or industry, depending which side of all this you're on). With the launch of the auctions and various mod actions on the forums as of late, the true nature, goals, and makeup of GUU became more clear and they are quite different.

All of that is fine, however, it does necessarily alter the nature of the forums. How they'll be operated, modded, and on the other side viewed by others. They will not remain the same because of the business's need to protect and even promote the auction activities herein.

That's the simple reality as I see it, and IMHO the cause of most of the consternation experienced here this past week. There is some sense of loss of innocence or purity, if not objectivity, as a new agenda enters the scene.

cohibasmoker
08-11-2008, 11:50 AM
My only question is the images.

In the past, whether I was logged in or not, I was able to view the images in all of the posts. What changed because I can only view images if I am logged in.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Jim

trsent
08-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Mr. Alpert, Thanks for showing us a way to try to avoid the endless back and forth crying and bickering. The same 2 or 3 guys fighting over and over about the same things. Some of these guys must be hooked up here 24/7. They post on nearly every topic. Perhaps a "crybaby thread" or a "Lampson thread" where they can go back and forth. They must post and then wait and wait for that indivdual to post back so they can respond again. It's amazing how sensitive some are. Anyway, Joel sorry to break the mold here and bring up a gamer item, but I still have a real nice jersey that I picked up through you a few years back. You definetely have quality pieces that display nicely. Lastly, please let me know when this forum goes back to what it"s called, "Game Used Forum"

Danny, thanks for the post. You make many, many valid points.

By the way, I am Joel.

Mr. Alpert, my father, and I are not speaking at this point of our lives.

trsent
08-11-2008, 10:11 PM
I would like to hear from the Administration about their enforcing their polices for the new for sale section. On August 7th, 2008 I sent a Private Message to "admin" with the first abuse of the new seller forum with a sale post from an obvious dealer and I see the post is still up on the forum four and a half days later.

Will dealers be allowed to post on this forum or is the rule just for some dealers?