PDA

View Full Version : Mets Fans - I need your help

frikativ54
08-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Dear Mets Fans,

Who wore #62 with the Mets in 1999? I think someone may have worn it in Spring Training. Thanks for your help.

-Frik

metsbats
08-13-2008, 04:23 PM
http://mbtn.net/about

Leslie,

Here's a great site called Mets By the Numbers.

Does n't look like anyone on the Major League roster wore 62 in 1999.

Perhaps a spring training assigned number.

Hope this helps.
David

frikativ54
08-13-2008, 04:50 PM
David,

Thanks for the information. Can you give me an idea of where I can find data on if the #62 was used in Spring Training of 1999? I am considering buying a bat with this number written on the handle. The bat is of an actual Mets player who played for the team only in 1999, but I am worried that perhaps he didn't use the bat and it got shipped down to the minors. Does this happen often?

-Frik

metsbats
08-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Perhaps a 1999 media guide?

My 2006 media guide contains spring training players in addition to the regular roster.

Who is the player that you are trying to track down?

David

frikativ54
08-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Who is the player that you are trying to track down?

I am looking for Octavio Dotel.

metsbats
08-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Hey Frik,

Look what I found for you.

David

frikativ54
08-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey Frik,

Look what I found for you.

David

You are so awesome! I don't know how I missed that. :)

-Frik

TNTtoys
08-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Hate to throw a monkey wrench into this thread, but I do have an Octavio Dotel game used spring training jersey #62. I'll attach photos.

My jersey is a 1997... so my question is whether or not it is possible that Dotel came to spring training for 3 consecutive years and wore that same #62 in all of them, even the year he wore 29 in the big leagues. If "YES", then there is the possibility that the '99 that Frik is looking at is a Dotel jersey too. Otherwise, it could be someone else's jersey.

Without any additional information, I'd start with the size. I'd also look at the style, tagging, etc. to determine the actual year (it could be possible that the jersey is not a 1999 after all?)

I'd also check the media guides as David suggested, as the information regarding spring training rosters is not readily available. I recall having a very difficult time trying to validate a 2005 (and that's recent!) spring training jersey -- which I ultimately validated by a wrong jersey size...

Any additional information regarding this jersey??

frikativ54
08-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Hate to throw a monkey wrench into this thread, but I do have an Octavio Dotel game used spring training jersey #62. I'll attach photos.

My jersey is a 1997... so my question is whether or not it is possible that Dotel came to spring training for 3 consecutive years and wore that same #62 in all of them, even the year he wore 29 in the big leagues. If "YES", then there is the possibility that the '99 that Frik is looking at is a Dotel jersey too. Otherwise, it could be someone else's jersey.

Without any additional information, I'd start with the size. I'd also look at the style, tagging, etc. to determine the actual year (it could be possible that the jersey is not a 1999 after all?)

I'd also check the media guides as David suggested, as the information regarding spring training rosters is not readily available. I recall having a very difficult time trying to validate a 2005 (and that's recent!) spring training jersey -- which I ultimately validated by a wrong jersey size...

Any additional information regarding this jersey??

That is a sweet jersey. I was actually looking at an Octavio Dotel game-used bat, which I bought last night for comparatively little money, once we determined that #62 was Dotel's spring training number. I am doing a collection of bats from guys whom I have met in person or who have signed autographs for me. I guess I just assumed the bat was used in 1999, since that was his first year with the Mets.

But that picture that David posted was from 1998. And if you look at the pciture from 1999, Dotel was wearing #29 in Spring Training. So - the bat I am getting could be a spring training used bat for 1998 or even 1997. Could it have possibly been used in the minors as well? What are the odds that Dotel could have continued using that same bat when he made the Big Leagues in 1999? Here is the link to the Getty Images in question: http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&language=en-US&family=editorial&p=octavio%20dotel&assetType=image&ebd=1997-01-01&eed=1999-04-01&src=quick#.

Fred
08-15-2008, 02:30 PM
I have 1999 Mets pres guide and Maurice Bruce is listed as having uniform number 62.

metsbats
08-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Frik,

Does the bat have the MLB emblem on the sweet stop?

The 1999 bats has supplemental stampings (as defined in Vince Malta's book) specifically the MLB logos. In 1997-1998 there were none.

This would help date your Dotal bat.

David

metsbats
08-15-2008, 09:13 PM
I have 1999 Mets pres guide and Maurice Bruce is listed as having uniform number 62.

Hi Fred,

Thanks for sharing this info.

It would be interesting to find out if Frik's Dotal bat has a MLB logo or no log at all.

David

metsbats
08-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Frik,

Does the bat have the MLB emblem on the sweet stop?

The 1999 bats has supplemental stampings (as defined in Vince Malta's book) specifically the MLB logos. In 1997-1998 there were none.

This would help date your Dotal bat.

David

Been a long day. I meant sweet spot.:o

frikativ54
08-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Been a long day. I meant sweet spot.:o

No MLB logo. Given that Dotel wore 29 in 1999 and the fact that no MLB logo appears on the #62 bat, I would conclude that this is either a 1997 or 1998 spring training used gamer.

Is there a way to determine if this bat was ever used in a Big League game? Do forum members have Dotel bats numbered with #29 on them from the New York Mets? It will be interesting to see what we can find out.

metsbats
08-16-2008, 10:26 AM
No MLB logo. Given that Dotel wore 29 in 1999 and the fact that no MLB logo appears on the #62 bat, I would conclude that this is either a 1997 or 1998 spring training used gamer.

Is there a way to determine if this bat was ever used in a Big League game? Do forum members have Dotel bats numbered with #29 on them from the New York Mets? It will be interesting to see what we can find out.

Frik,

Can you post photos of the bat? It may be hard to find characteristics of Dotel's bats since he probably didn't get much ABs and the lack of many Dotel bats out there. You may be able to identify characteristics of general game use ie rack marks, ball marks, lace marks, pine tar on the bat which may indicate game use. Minor league ball marks will leave different ball marks on the barrel verses a MLB baseball too.

Since Dotal's first season in the Bigs was 1999 a pre-1999 bat one would assume would show minor league ball marks.

-David

frikativ54
08-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Frik,

Can you post photos of the bat? It may be hard to find characteristics of Dotel's bats since he probably didn't get much ABs and the lack of many Dotel bats out there. You may be able to identify characteristics of general game use ie rack marks, ball marks, lace marks, pine tar on the bat which may indicate game use. Minor league ball marks will leave different ball marks on the barrel verses a MLB baseball too.

Since Dotal's first season in the Bigs was 1999 a pre-1999 bat one would assume would show minor league ball marks.

-David

Here are pictures of the bat, so you can judge for yourself if this is indeed a minor league bat:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/DotelFullBat.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/DotelBarrel.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/DotelBarrel2.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/DotelSig.jpg