PDA

View Full Version : Where did all the Gamers go?

Swoboda4
08-18-2008, 03:53 AM
I know that mostly all major league uniforms in the flannel/wool era were used the entire year and then passed down to the minor leagues and sometimes re-used. The Yankees of the 30's and 40's used to sell or give some of their uniforms to local charitible organizations that had teams. I would imagine the same could be said for the double knit eras of the 70's . With the modern minor leagues being a somewhat of a success and not so much waiting for the scraps of the parent club to be shipped down anymore,there seems to be a black hole for where most jerseys and equipment went, from say mid 80's to the beginning of the game used awareness era(late 90's?). I'll guess some items went to spring training but there seems to be an awfull lot of jerseys unaccounted for. What did teams do with the sets of uniforms that didn't go to the minors or spring training?
http://pro.corbis.com/images/72452.jpg?size=67&uid={44801231-3bc7-46a7-8341-ebe18bd32526}

Vintagedeputy
08-18-2008, 11:04 AM
I think that they still went down to the minors.

I dont have any serious numbers that would support that, but I sold a pair of Astros pants from the mid to late 80's that had not only the major leaguers name stitched in but a minor leaguer's name written in as well. The minor leaguer never went higher than AA or AAA.

kingjammy24
08-18-2008, 12:17 PM
i imagine that vast amounts are sitting in players attics/basements/collections/storage units.

rudy.