PDA

View Full Version : OT: Blue Angels Are Amazing

trsent
08-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Friday morning I was dragged to North Beach in Chicago to watch the Annual Chicago Air and Water Show. I had no clue what a treat I was in for when I saw the Blue Angels preform. In fact, I was so impressed I went back to Chicago Sunday to watch them again from my mother's 33rd floor apartment overlooking the lake.

Everyone who knows me knows that I hate to fly, and I know I'd never survive in one of these planes, but it is amazing watching them perform.

Mr.3000
08-18-2008, 12:43 PM
When I was a child (6-7 yrs old) back in the early 80's, they would fly over my house routinely. Scared the daylights out of me then lol But as I grew up I had a respect for them and their piloting skills. They are some of the best pilots and very entertaining.

Rob L
08-18-2008, 01:05 PM
We lived in San Diego between 1970 and 1972 while my dad was stationed at North Island. The Blue Angels used to practice from there then and they would practice daily over our neighborhood when they were flying F4s. It was awesome. They always put on a great show. Much better then the Thunderbirds.

orioles03
08-18-2008, 01:57 PM
you should see them the week leading up to the naval academy graduation they practice every day for a couple hours or go to a navy football game in annapolis md when they fly really low over the stadium . best fly over ever for a football game

David
08-18-2008, 02:15 PM
They visited my home of Seattle the week earlier. I know when they're in town when they wake up in morning (loud as close thunder). I'm not into that sort of stuff, but admit the way they fly so close and in unison is impressive.

David
08-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Should add that if you're ever in Seattle, visit the Museum of Flight. Again, I'm not an airplane history fan, but was very impressed and had a good time. It's a gigantic (as in gigantic) room filled with airplanes, genuine space vehicles, from the earliest planes to supersonic fighter jets to experimental ccraft. My 70+ year old dad got to sit in the cockpit of a supersonic fighter seat, which was once the fastest plane in the world. The Museum director is a former astronaut.

bigtruck260
08-18-2008, 02:27 PM
I grew up in Lexington Park, MD several miles from the PAX River Naval Base. We would routinely see them flying in patterns over our house. Usually they were preparing for one of the many airshows there. Always a great time. Thanks for the pictures Joel.

aeneas01
08-18-2008, 03:35 PM
the blue angels are truly something you need to see in person to appreciate/believe - i've found that trying to simply describe the experience to friends is usually met with little interest. in the early 80s i lived in san francisco and used to watch them from the top floor of the st. francis hotel's 30 story tower - in those days the jets flew very low, practically between the tall buildings, and would actually rock the windows! it was a trip! unfortunately they are no longer allowed to fly as low in the sf bay area but they are still well worth seeing...

Vintagedeputy
08-18-2008, 03:46 PM
If anyone is ever in Richmond, we have the Virginia Aviation Museum here at the airport. Its easy to find since they have a retired SR-71 Blackbird parked outside.

chakes89
08-19-2008, 01:52 AM
If anyone is ever in the Dayton, Ohio area, visit the United States Air Force Museum.

It is simply amazing

They have several hangars full of aircraft

They also have a few different presidential Air Force One planes that you can walk through

Fnazxc0114
08-21-2008, 11:26 PM
while i was in the navy i went to a school down in pensacola and was able to watch one of their full walk throug practices. we got to sit in bleacher right of the edge of the runway and was able to watch the whole show. it was pretty nice not having to deal with the crowds. there were maybe 20 of us there at the time

platinum1
08-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Well went to the SOX game last Thursday and these guys are amazing.
They parachuted from the jets and landed in the stadium AMAZING.
Also cant forget the little one with future R.O.Y Alexei Ramirez

trsent
08-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Well went to the SOX game last Thursday and these guys are amazing.
They parachuted from the jets and landed in the stadium AMAZING.
Also cant forget the little one with future R.O.Y Alexei Ramirez

Team has been in first place most all season. Team has the leading home run hitter in baseball (what?). Team has favorite for Rookie of the Year (.309 BA, 14 Home Runs, 55 RBIs, 9 SB). Team has best manager in baseball. Team has #5 all-time home run hitter. Team has one of the top closers in baseball. Team has most interesting manager in baseball since Billy Martin.

Why is the upper deck in your picture empty? All this town talks about is The Cubs. In fact, I was supposed to go to The White Sox tonight, but I was given Cubs tickets instead for today so now I have to sit outside in the heat and humidity and watch day baseball (wake me up before you go-go) which I am not excited about (but at least Smash Mouth plays across the street tonight).

Let's be honest, The Cubs are amazing right now and should coast into the playoffs. The White Sox have a battle with Minnesota (and Boston for Wild Card berth) but they have pitching and talent. Why does this town worship a team that will collapse before the larger lady takes a tune?

If you reply to this, anyone, please do not use cliché such as "Lovable Losers".

platinum1
08-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Team has been in first place most all season. Team has the leading home run hitter in baseball (what?). Team has favorite for Rookie of the Year (.309 BA, 14 Home Runs, 55 RBIs, 9 SB). Team has best manager in baseball. Team has #5 all-time home run hitter. Team has one of the top closers in baseball. Team has most interesting manager in baseball since Billy Martin.

Why is the upper deck in your picture empty? All this town talks about is The Cubs. In fact, I was supposed to go to The White Sox tonight, but I was given Cubs tickets instead for today so now I have to sit outside in the heat and humidity and watch day baseball (wake me up before you go-go) which I am not excited about (but at least Smash Mouth plays across the street tonight).

Let's be honest, The Cubs are amazing right now and should coast into the playoffs. The White Sox have a battle with Minnesota (and Boston for Wild Card berth) but they have pitching and talent. Why does this town worship a team that will collapse before the larger lady takes a tune?

If you reply to this, anyone, please do not use cliché such as "Lovable Losers".
People love the CUBS because of WGN and that's the only reason I can really see why the CUB fans follow. Many Cub fans grew up watching the CUBS on WGN in other cities where they had no baseball teams.That has to be the reason because The Cubs organazation hasn't done ANYTHING for the fans. They just find ways to scam the fans and they fall for it. When you go to a WHITE SOX game you can expect a great time from The Kids Fundamental Deck, Player interaction(except for Griffey:mad: )
Musical groups, a gauranteed firework show and a actuall place where you can use the bathroom with out having to sword fight with the guy next to you.

trsent
08-22-2008, 10:31 AM
People love the CUBS because of WGN and that's the only reason I can really see why the CUB fans follow. Many Cub fans grew up watching the CUBS on WGN in other cities where they had no baseball teams.That has to be the reason because The Cubs organazation hasn't done ANYTHING for the fans. They just find ways to scam the fans and they fall for it. When you go to a WHITE SOX game you can expect a great time from The Kids Fundamental Deck, Player interaction(except for Griffey:mad: )
Musical groups, a gauranteed firework show and a actuall place where you can use the bathroom with out having to sword fight with the guy next to you.

Funny, my friend who is going to The Cubs game today said the same thing. He said he would go to about 10 more games a year if they renovated the bathrooms already.

Don't get mad at me, because I really hate live baseball unless the game means something (like a playoff clinching game) and I did just buy season tickets for The Blackhawks (so I guess I love live hockey) but the last Cubs game I went to was the 2nd game of the season and I left in the middle of the 7th as it was too cold and the last White Sox game I attended was Game 5 ACLS 2005 in Anaheim. (The drive back to Las Vegas was like sitting on cloud 9, wherever that is) I think today I am going to show up late, say 3rd inning so maybe I can see the end of the game.

trsent
08-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I just received a fun email from sports memorabilia and autograph hound legend Dave Miedema that I just had to repost:

Joel:

I am more of a Cubs fan, but I admit, without hesitation, that visits to the Cell are far more enjoyable. At the Cell, you can go down by the wall to get autographs, schmooze with players and media (Wednesday produced a nice conversation with an old pa, Bruce Levine, as well as a memorabilia trade with Mark Salas and a quick greeting from Jim Riggleman.) At Wrigley, the presence of the high-priced three rows of seats between the bullpens make it, by team policy, so that no one not sitting in those three rows can approach the wall. The ushers, nearly all seniors and many of whom are cranky, often scream at fans when talking to them would suffice. The place is no longer the Friendly Confines...it's turned into Guatanamo Bay North.

The Cubs marketing plan seems to be two-pronged...cater to the wealthy, and promote the singles bar/frat house that is the Budweiser Bleachers. Families that come and are dismayed by all the restrictions and rules...too bad. The Cubs know that, with their immense fan base, if mom, dad, and the 2 kids leave Wrigley with no plans to ever return, there's a dozen more out there who will sell their grandparents for decent tickets. Those families who are given "who cares?" treatment at Wrigley are finding a better experience with the Sox, who seem to welcome kids and families.
I skipped the Cubs-Reds series to hit 2 of the 3 Sox-Mariners games...and I'm glad I did. The Cubs may get more of my fan love, but the Sox will get more of my fan money.

Dave M.