PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Erving Hawks Warm-Up

otismalibu
08-18-2008, 01:46 PM
http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=18641

Title says "1972 Dr. J Julius Erving Atlanta Hawks Worn & Autographed Warm-Up Jacket"

Description says "Prior to Atlanta games, he would be at the arena ready to don a Hawks uniform, but he was legally barred from playing due to court injunctions initiated by the Squires and a court order eventually forced his return to Virginia four games into the ABA campaign."

So are they saying the warmup was worn by Erving or not? It seems like it may be open to interpretation.

trsent
08-18-2008, 03:35 PM
http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=18641

Title says "1972 Dr. J Julius Erving Atlanta Hawks Worn & Autographed Warm-Up Jacket"

Description says "Prior to Atlanta games, he would be at the arena ready to don a Hawks uniform, but he was legally barred from playing due to court injunctions initiated by the Squires and a court order eventually forced his return to Virginia four games into the ABA campaign."

So are they saying the warmup was worn by Erving or not? It seems like it may be open to interpretation.

Greg, what did Grey Flannel respond when asked about this?

I would be curious to see if they state the item was worn in the locker room or if they don't know if it was worn or just issued and maybe worn, maybe not. I am pretty sure back then no one was paying attention to if someone put on a jacket or not.

otismalibu
08-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Greg, what did Grey Flannel respond when asked about this?

They didn't reply to any of my emails regarding the Erving jersey, so I never sent an email regarding this piece. I'm a blocked bidder, so I'm guessing I'm a blocked emailer.

Someone at GFC is obviously skilled enough to recognize equip. mgr. Joe O'Toole's writing. That's impressive. The rest of their research, not so impressive.

Attached below is a wash instructions tag and another hand written tag with “ERVING” written on it. This was done by the equipment manager, Jim O’Toole and is in his writing.

For anyone that cares, Erving did indeed play in some exhibition games with the Hawks, although GFC seems to be saying he didn't.

trsent
08-18-2008, 04:04 PM
They didn't reply to any of my emails regarding the Erving jersey, so I never sent an email regarding this piece. I'm a blocked bidder, so I'm guessing I'm a blocked emailer.

Someone at GFC is obviously skilled enough to recognize equip. mgr. Joe O'Toole's writing. That's impressive. The rest of their research, not so impressive.

Attached below is a wash instructions tag and another hand written tag with “ERVING” written on it. This was done by the equipment manager, Jim O’Toole and is in his writing.

For anyone that cares, Erving did indeed play in some exhibition games with the Hawks, although GFC seems to be saying he didn't.

Cool, I wasn't questioning you why you didn't email them first, I just assumed you would have asked them before asking us. No big deal.

So your last sentence seems to show they may have a game worn jacket, huh?

otismalibu
08-18-2008, 04:23 PM
So your last sentence seems to show they may have a game worn jacket, huh?

My intention was simply to indicate that Erving did play in multiple games for the Hawks and that GFC's research was sub-par. :)

The only game pic I have of Erving with the Hawks has him wearing the previous year's style jersey. I doubt the Hawks would wear their new pinstripe warmups (red & white) with their old uniforms (green blue) in pre-season exhibition. Maybe for a program photo.

But I don't authenticate for the hoops HOF.

I like photos - they don't lie.

trsent
08-18-2008, 11:31 PM
My intention was simply to indicate that Erving did play in multiple games for the Hawks and that GFC's research was sub-par. :)

The only game pic I have of Erving with the Hawks has him wearing the previous year's style jersey. I doubt the Hawks would wear their new pinstripe warmups (red & white) with their old uniforms (green blue) in pre-season exhibition. Maybe for a program photo.

But I don't authenticate for the hoops HOF.

I like photos - they don't lie.

No, you do not authenticate for the Basketball Hall of Fame, but you do help the company who does with their authentications. :rolleyes:

The thought process that they wore the previous season jersey in the exhibition games doesn't mean they didn't wear new or old warm-ups since that is pure speculation. Then again, it appears you may have done more homework than Grey Flannel on this item.

Too bad you can't contact them to ask questions about their process of authenticating this item. A photo of him in such a jacket would be worth a few thousand dollars, huh?

otismalibu
08-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Here's a sideline pic of a game Doc sat out after already playing in 2 games with the Hawks. You can clearly see these are not the new pinstripes.
It seems unlikely (to me) that they would introduce their new gear in a couple of ABA/NBA pre-season exhibition games, then go back to the style pictured below.
I also have a game photo from his last game with the Hawks and he's not wearing the pinstripes.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/drjsidelinehawks1.jpg