PDA

View Full Version : GFC Lot 159

jdr3
08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Can anyone explain why a fake Ewing autograph would be on a "game used Patrick Ewing Georgetown jersey"?

lund6771
08-19-2008, 07:34 PM
I was wondering the same thing!

Ewing was one of my favorite players growing up and was thinking about bidding on this till I read that as well

It may be a good jersey, but I'm not even gonna mess with it if it has a bad autograph...

kingjammy24
08-19-2008, 07:53 PM
hiya jim

i'll venture a guess. whoever put the autograph on thought it would boost the value. maybe they figured that if the jersey was worth X amount then they'd make it worth even more with the signature. greed. stupidity.

personally i think a forged autograph slaughters the value of a legit game-used piece unless someone can skillfully remove the autograph.

rudy.

jdr3
08-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey Rudy-

Great to hear from you! You have the best eye on this forum. Note how the W in Grey Flannel's Ewing is the same height as the right and left portions of the letter. Now note the photos from 1983 & 1984, when GU used this style, and notice that the middle part of the W does not reach that high.

hblakewolf
08-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Hey Rudy-

Great to hear from you! You have the best eye on this forum. Note how the W in Grey Flannel's Ewing is the same height as the right and left portions of the letter. Now note the photos from 1983 & 1984, when GU used this style, and notice that the middle part of the W does not reach that high.

Also note the actual positioning of the individual letters on the plate. The Grey Flannel plate has a significantly tighter name (less space between each letter) and the actual air space on all sides of the name plate is less on the Grey Flannel example as compared to those in the photos.

It's crucial, however, to compare photos and evidence from the 1983 season, based on the shirt being attributed to that season.

I'd enjoy having Rudy or any other Forum reader provide additional photos that may provide additional evidence as to the legitimacy of the shirt in question.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

lund6771
08-20-2008, 07:29 PM
can anyone find one pic to match the Grey Flannel jersey?....Just one?

anyone?...anywhere?...or is this another P.O.S

lund6771
08-20-2008, 07:30 PM
by the way JDR3 ..great pics

otismalibu
08-20-2008, 07:32 PM
The Es are different as well.

Are those twill letters on both?

otismalibu
08-20-2008, 07:42 PM
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/ewing.jpg

lund6771
08-21-2008, 07:22 AM
I wonder if they will pull this thing....any thoughts?...

otismalibu
08-21-2008, 07:34 AM
I wonder if they will pull this thing....any thoughts?...

I don't think it has ever been Grey Flannel's policy to present visual evidence to support their opinion of an item.

jdr3
08-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Here is the same comparison of the front of the jersey. Can anyone see any differences between the GFC model and the actual game model?

otismalibu
08-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Here is the same comparison of the front of the jersey. Can anyone see any differences between the GFC model and the actual game model?

You mean other than the numbers?

:)

trsent
08-21-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't think it has ever been Grey Flannel's policy to present visual evidence to support their opinion of an item.

Is this a policy listed on their web site or in their catalogs? Inquiring minds wish to know. :rolleyes:

otismalibu
08-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Is this a policy listed on their web site or in their catalogs? Inquiring minds wish to know.

I'm basing that assumption on the fact that they've never sent me photographic evidence when I've pointed out characteristics on their items that seem a little out of the ordinary.
When I did receive their catalogs, I don't recall seeing any style match photos from game action.
Same with their online auction. I don't recall seeing game photos presented with the photos of the item.
And there have been a few items presented on this site that have never received any responses, directly or indirectly.

As a service to their customers, they should really make sure that faceless Noels like myself aren't purposely trying to drive down the value of one of their auctions, in order to acquire the piece themselves. Could happen.

And I believe your written policy was that you weren't going to post on this site anymore, but looky who showed up again. So one may want to assess another's 'policies' based on their actions (or lack thereof) rather than what is or isn't written.

trsent
08-21-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm basing that assumption on the fact that they've never sent me photographic evidence when I've pointed out characteristics on their items that seem a little out of the ordinary.
When I did receive their catalogs, I don't recall seeing any style match photos from game action.
Same with their online auction. I don't recall seeing game photos presented with the photos of the item.
And there have been a few items presented on this site that have never received any responses, directly or indirectly.

As a service to their customers, they should really make sure that faceless Noels like myself aren't purposely trying to drive down the value of one of their auctions, in order to acquire the piece themselves. Could happen.

And I believe your written policy was that you weren't going to post on this site anymore, but looky who showed up again. So one may want to assess another's 'policies' based on their actions (or lack thereof) rather than what is or isn't written.

Greg, I was joking with you. See the smiley face?

otismalibu
08-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Greg, I was joking with you. See the smiley face?

Joel,

I have a photo archive of over 8000 emoticons and thus can easily spot the differences between a Smiley Face and an Eye Roll.

To practice, you may want to look through your Sunday paper and find those two pictures that look like they're the same, but actually have 10 differences. I once heard that Lou Lampson suffered a mild seizure trying to complete one of those. That was probably just a rumor though.

Good luck!

lund6771
08-21-2008, 06:32 PM

If they had a "style" match photo, I think that they would post it....they posted pictures on the North Carolina Jordan

now that their "opinion" is not looking so good, and it's accompanied with a bad sig, I'd be doing some serious research on this piece before I'd be auctioning it off in front of the public at the Hall of Fame

lund6771
08-22-2008, 06:28 PM
I've spent a lot of time trying to find any pictures to match the front & back of his shirt...can anyone find AT LEAST one pic to match this thing?...I can't find one!!!!

the year that they say it's from does not match to what I'm digging up

I was/am intersted in his thing, but it's not looking good

jdr3
08-22-2008, 09:46 PM
No offense, but don't waste any more time. This is not the first or last time Grey Flannel has passed off a piece of crap as a game used jersey. They could not authenticate a boyle on their own behind.

trsent
08-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Joel,

I have a photo archive of over 8000 emoticons and thus can easily spot the differences between a Smiley Face and an Eye Roll.

To practice, you may want to look through your Sunday paper and find those two pictures that look like they're the same, but actually have 10 differences. I once heard that Lou Lampson suffered a mild seizure trying to complete one of those. That was probably just a rumor though.

Good luck!

My wife and I often play Photo Match on those machines in the taverns. :cool:

lund6771
08-23-2008, 01:23 AM
No offense, but don't waste any more time. This is not the first or last time Grey Flannel has passed off a piece of crap as a game used jersey. They could not authenticate a boyle on their own behind.

I can't even imagine how they could sell a questionable shirt, of a HOF inductee, at a live auction at the HOF

It amazes me

trsent
08-23-2008, 01:43 AM
I can't even imagine how they could sell a questionable shirt, of a HOF inductee, at a live auction at the HOF

It amazes me

Has anyone contacted them about the posted issues with this jersey? I have not because I have no desire to bid on it, but has anyone who is a legitimate Grey Flannel bidder emailed them?

jdr3
08-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Respectfully, Joel, this is Grey Flannel we're dealing with. This is the same company that made fools of themselves on national television regarding their ability to analyze uniforms and did not seem to learn anything from the experience. If this were a company that had a track record of reliability, that would be one thing, but there are at least 5 pieces in every GFC auction that are flat out jokes, such as this Ewing jersey. They do not deserve the benefit of the doubt that they are making an honest mistake. Secondly, a former GFC employee posted here that GFC employees regularly look at this board, so I guarantee you they know about the issues. Thirdly, I know for a fact the FBI reads this board daily, and they are well aware of GFC's questionable merchandise. This thing with Mastro is the tip of the ice berg. Other auction houses are being HIGHLY scrutinized, and you can bet GFC is one of them, whether they realize it or not. According to GFC, the jersey was supposedly consigned by Ernie Perveil, whoever that is, and it has been in his collection for "about 15 years."

jdr3
08-23-2008, 09:22 PM
As of 10:20 pm est on 8/23/08, the jersey does not appear online.