PDA

View Full Version : Question for Forum- Bonds Value?

Eric
03-13-2006, 12:44 AM
Hey everyone-

This question goes out to the forum

Considering the newest round of allegations against Barry Bonds which are represented in the book "Game Of Shadows" has your opinion on collecting
Bonds changed?

What effect, if any, do you think the allegations have on the value of his game used items now and if he passes Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron?

How do you feel about collecting items from McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, Giambi and any of the others who have been named in these stories in the past?

Let's hear what you all have to say.
Eric

sammy
03-13-2006, 01:14 AM
Who cares what these other juiced up clowns have done. It wasn't, nor is it still, natural talent.

Roger Maris is still, the true yearly home run champion.

Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth are still, and will be for a long time, the true long ball champions, regardless of what juicy-juice does.

I'll place my money on natural talent any day.

trsent
03-13-2006, 01:44 AM
Everyone knows and hates my theory, but to me the game is still a game, a season is a season and I am not going to judge anyone based on what they may have put into their body before baseball suspended players for putting this substance into their body.

Now, the general public, as seen previously on this forum, is disgusted by the actions of these players, and you will see the market drop for their memorabilia because of this.

Funny, I wonder if any pitchers were using the juice during these times. At least it would have been a level playing field. ;)

Oh by the way, not that it matters (maybe it does) but I have been clean and sober for 17 years. In other words, I haven't drank liquor and I have lived drug free since the age of 20.

Yankwood
03-13-2006, 02:10 AM
Regarding the collecting market, interest in items of Bonds, McGwire, Palmeiro and Sosa have plummeted since all this began. I don't think it's just a passing thing either. Most of my friends who are sports fans or even casual observers are really disgusted with it all, and I am too. Now for the sensitive portion of this post. Regardin Bobds, it's no secret that most of the collectors out there are white which makes sense since this faction of the population probably closely mirrors the racial percentages of the entire country. Barry Bonds has always struck a raw nerve with his obvious dislike of the white race. He has constantly said all along that eclipsing Babe Ruth's home run totals were more important to him than breaking Aaron's record. Gee, why is that? And now, word got out that he began his steroid taking because of the jealousy that he had for all the attention that Mark McGwire was getting in 1998. Aside from Giants fans and Bonds apologists, he just is not very well liked, obviously. When you cut down the market, you cut back the prices. As for the others, Palmeiro is dead in the water with collectors. He's almost become a laughing stock, as has Sosa, who suddenly didn't understand English in front of a congressional committee. And McGwire has all along been suspected by the public of artificial enhancement. His refusal to "talk about the past" is really an admission of guilt. I'm glad I never bought anything of any of these players anyway, but if I had, I'd be totaling the losses in my head. If you were a fan of one of these guys and did shell out alot of money for their stuff, you might as well keep it as it's too late to recoup all of it anyway.

trsent
03-13-2006, 05:23 AM
What would everyone think if a player came clean, and I don't mean a Jose Canseco, but one of the guys who was respected before this became a public issue?

For instance, what if Mark McGwire came out and admitted what he had done in the past? He could at least explain how and why, and even though the public would frown still, at least he made his past clear to the public. Sort of like if Pete Rose had come clean when he was first accused of betting on baseball and on The Cincinnati Reds (even to win).

Maybe if Pete had come clean at first and admitted he had a gambling problem, baseball wouldn't have down so hard on him. Sure, he was going to lose his managing job, but maybe they would have ordered him to some sort of rehabilitation and a shorter ban.

The steroid issue was one that was a time in baseball, we all know that it was something that at first was not publicly known what the legal ramifications really were. It was a trend, I do not know if steroids are addictive, but I'm sure hitting home runs was addictive to those abusing them.

It will be neat to see in ten years what power numbers are like when the game should be clear of the abuse that happened for a 10-20 year era in baseball.

suave1477
03-13-2006, 09:36 AM
There are tons of variables on this situation, and i have said many times before i still feel roger maris and babe ruth and hank aaron hold the records. As far as the game used items i have to say it is pretty sad, before all this happend i would have been estatic to have a Bonds or McGwire jersey. Now I could careless. People will always buy there stuff but the demand will not be as high which will cause the value to plummet. I see things have already started going down in value for Bonds now that the book is out its going make everything shoot straight down. Someone mentioned earlier that Bonds got jealous of McGwire, well McGwire got jealous of Canseco, remember in the late 80's Canseco was all the hype and McGwire was in Canseco's shadow.

geoff
03-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Babe Ruth will always in my eyes be the home run king.Even if or when Bonds does break the Record.Back then they had no clue what juice is.Thanks Geoff

both-teams-played-hard
03-13-2006, 02:41 PM
**I'm just going to take this comment down and we'll pretend it never happened**

suave1477
03-13-2006, 03:07 PM
R.C. Walker i agree!!!

BULBUS
03-13-2006, 03:09 PM
rc, you hit it on the head!

both-teams-played-hard
03-13-2006, 04:23 PM
**I'm just going to take this comment down and we'll pretend it never happened**

Why was my post removed? This forum is not fun when my comments are censored. NO forum rule was broken or challenged with my comments. I spoke of racism and its effect on major league baseball. Eric, you can ban me, suspend me, and stick bamboo shoots under my fingernails. However, this will not change history. Maybe you should read a book about Jackie Robinson.

both-teams-played-hard
03-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Educate your mind!
http://www.blackathlete.com/Reflections/ref041600.html

both-teams-played-hard
03-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Educate your mind!

Reading is Fundamental:
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0501/page051501.asp

"...I am delighted to remind everyone of how many old baseball records deserve to have an asterisk next to them in the record books. It would gently remind us of how long the races were not allowed to compete on the sort of level playing field that Americans of good will still are trying to achieve for our society today. "
-Clarence Page

trsent
03-13-2006, 05:36 PM
So, Babe Ruth's stats should all have asterisks next to them because he only faced white pitchers, right? Oh wait, everyone who player prior to 1948 should have the same issues.

I don't approve of everything in the past, but then again, a season is a season, a game is a game, so I believe Baseball's theory is simple: Forgive us for the past and let's Play Ball.

So, I guess the records will stand for those who may or may not have abused steroids - Even if you keep Babe Ruth or Hark Aaron in your heart.

MSpecht
03-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Don't forget Mr. Sadaharu Oh when you mention Maris, Babe, and the Hammer....at 5'9" and 170 lbs. plus change, he hit 868 dingers and certainly deserves some mention.

Mike

both-teams-played-hard
03-13-2006, 06:00 PM
So, Babe Ruth's stats should all have asterisks next to them because he only faced white pitchers, right? Oh wait, everyone who player prior to 1948 should have the same issues.

All baseball records prior to 1947 cannot be taken seriously. Ty Cobb wouldn't play against black players, simply because he didn't want to get beat. If you beat your sister while playing one-on-one in the driveway, that doesn't mean you are the best basketball player in the neighborhood.

bigtime59
03-13-2006, 06:12 PM
On the stated topic:
I couldn't afford a Bonds jersey last year, and doubt I'll be able to afford one next year, regardless of what happens to the man himself.
On the topic we wandered into:
In 2035, when MLB is 98% Hispanic, will we be arguing (in Spanish, probably) about records set when the sport still let domestic white guys play?
The only thing I have to say on supplements is that either everybody HAS to take 'em, or nobody GETS to.

kingjammy24
03-13-2006, 07:08 PM
If people feel that steroids lead to an unfair, unnatural advantage then can't the same also be said for amphetamines, which have been prevalent in the Majors for the past 30 yrs? Was it fair and natural when Willie Mays showed up at the park supremely alert due to a chemical, while other speed-free players were exhausted and could barely see straight?

Rudy.

stlbats
03-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Most of Bonds problem is he has been such a butt his whole career. Almost everyone, fans, media, baseball in general has it in for him because of his attitude. I dont care what color he is, he needs to get over himself. He could have been the best the real way. He deserves whatever comes to him. To this day he still has nothing but smart remarks to say.

Jason

suave1477
03-13-2006, 09:58 PM
You would think with Barry Bonds family tree that he is a great player with out the roids,

Bobby Bonds - Father

Reggie Jackson - cousin

Gary Sheffield - cousin

Willie Mays - God father ( ok well maybe Willie and him are not blood related but dam im sure Willie taught him something ) lol lol :D