PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose 1979-80 Gu Jersey On E-bay

2000mvpfan
03-13-2006, 12:52 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pete-Rose-Game-Jersey-1979-1980-Philadelphia-Phillies_W0QQitemZ8779926296QQcategoryZ60597QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

Didn't the Phils use this jersey for just one game in 1979,and never again?And since that one game was at the Vet,what are the odds it was obtained by a Visitor's clubhouse man?Howard,Reid...any opinions on this one?

Joe

hblakewolf
03-13-2006, 10:07 AM

Forum readers-
The jersey in question is not real. Eric, I'm not going to say "in my opinion" because I can assure you, I have factual information that this "Pete Rose" jersey is not a game worn or team issued 1979 jersey.

In 1979, Rawlings was trying to secure the Phillies uniform business from Wilson. Wilson had been the supplier to the Phillies since the 1940's. As such, Rawlings made a very heavy weight maroon knit jersey and pants. The Phillies wore them for one game of a double header in 1979. Not only did it prove difficult for the television cameras to pick up the jerseys, the players hated them. They wore them on a very hot day, and at the suggestion of Greg Luzinski, they discarded them after the first game, and wore their regular home white jerseys for the second game of the double header. According to "The Bull", the players looked like grapes and they sweated their asses off!

The jerseys are quite unique however. They are full zipper, with single white tackle twill names and numbers. The names are huge 3" block letters on a plate. The tagging is found on the front right outer tail. It has the usual Rawlings tag, with a small flag tag SET 1 1979 to the right. There is also a small embroidered tag with 3 digets to the right. It has the size/year/set. The pants also have a huge strip tag in them.

After the game, the Phillies sold the jerseys for $75. with the pants. You had no choice on who you given, as it could be from Schmidt to the bat boy. These are very, very difficult jerseys to locate. I have had 6 in all of my years, and currently own 3: Luzinski, McCarver and Lonnie Smith, all with pants. I have no interest in selling any of them.

The Rose that Zane Burns has on Ebay is not even close to what was worn. It is void of the year tag and strip tag. Likewise, the name should be block letters on a plate, not vertical arch directly on the shirt. what's also interesting is that his jersey has mismatched 4's. Notice the tail on the front and back 4, as well as the inside area. I have contacted him, and he indicates it came from a NL clubhouse individual. I can assure you, based on the 6 jerseys I have had from this game, I have never seen one with the incorrect characteristics as this Rose.

I am attaching a few photos for your reference.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Eric
03-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Howard

Would you please send the info you posted here over to the ebay seller? Seems like he should get the heads up
Eric

BULBUS
03-13-2006, 11:16 AM
i dont know if the seller would respond. a few weeks back, i emailed them regarding a jorge posada game used bat they were selling on ebay. the description stated the bat was a 1995-1996 game used rookie bat. the bat had number 20 on the knob in black marker. jorge didnt wear number 20 until 1997. the seller continued to list the bat as a rookie bat until it sold.

byergo
03-13-2006, 11:40 AM
FWIW--I've done business with Zane and found him to be a stand up guy to deal with and well deserving of his ebay rating of 2619 (99.6% positive).

Eric
03-13-2006, 11:45 AM
The Pete Rose jersey has been taken down. Howard, did you send the info to Zane?

Bulbus, is it possible the posada bat was made in 96 but used in 97?
Eric

hblakewolf
03-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Eric:

***POST RE-WRITTEN TO REMOVE A PERSONAL EMAIL*** I communicated with Zane. I'm shocked at his statements, espcially the fact that he listed the jersey as having game use, and now indicates he is not selling it as game worn! He also referred to ebay as a "clearing house" which is equally troubling.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

BULBUS
03-13-2006, 01:37 PM
their description stated that the bat was used in 1995 or 1996. i told them that the bat couldnt have been used before 97, but they didnt change the description. theyshould have taken the word rookie out of the description and stated the bat was used circa 97. i have the same bat signed by jorge with "96 gamer" inscribed and it has his 1996 number 55 on the knob.