PDA

View Full Version : Shea Stadium Seats

MRMusial
08-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Seats are now available for sale to the general public.

The New York Mets and the City of New York are giving all Mets fans the opportunity to purchase pairs of seats by seat color - orange, blue, green, and red - for $869 per pair plus state sales tax (8.375% for NY residents and 6.5% for FL residents). A limited inventory of seat pairs will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
www.mets.com/shea (http://www.mets.com/shea)

:)

costas
08-25-2008, 12:54 PM
why are Florida residents being charged a tax?

MRMusial
08-25-2008, 01:26 PM
why are Florida residents being charged a tax?
My guess. It's related to the Mets spring training operations in Florida. They probably have some state tax liability as a result of their presence there.

costas
08-25-2008, 01:30 PM
My guess. It's related to the Mets spring training operations in Florida. They probably have some state tax liability as a result of their presence there.

good call, that must be the reason

JimCaravello
08-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Now this is ridiculous - people are already trying to flip their seats on ebay! This person has two listings for sale. With over 57,000 seats hitting the market, there will be plenty of buying opportunities the next few years - and oh, by the way - Shea ain't no Fenway, Wrigley, or Yankee Stadium.................

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shea-Stadium-Blue-Loge-Seats-Set-of-2-Seats_W0QQitemZ170255090919QQihZ007QQcategoryZ5011 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

metsbats
08-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Funny thing is, if you go to the Mets sale site (I just did a minute ago) the blue log seat pairs are still available at 869 + NY or FLA tax. Why would anyone offer this guy anything unless it's BELOW the Mets price at this point?

-David

metsbats
08-25-2008, 01:57 PM
I read that only 16,000 or 32,000 seat will be available for public sale which accounts for the season ticket holder offering and now the general public.

Does anyone know what happens to the other 24,000 seats??

Jim, Do you know what is happening with the Yankees stadium seats yet?

David

JimCaravello
08-25-2008, 02:28 PM
I have heard that everything is going to be for sale - but haven't heard or seen any details yet. The best seats were pulled out of Yankee Stadium in the early 70's and am fortunate to have two singles and two doubles - the existing seats at Yankee Stadium are plastic and just don't do a lot for me personally. Shea's seats are plastic too - but is a little different - they are nicer looking to me than the Yankees seats and the different colors are kind of neat......plus, they are older than the Yankees seats...........

MRMusial
08-25-2008, 02:29 PM
With over 57,000 seats hitting the market, there will be plenty of buying opportunities the next few years

The article I read said they're only selling 16,000 seats to the general public. I assume, since they're sold in pairs, that actual total may be 32,000. I wonder if the remaining seats are those available to season ticket holders prior to the general public sale that began today. Not sure though.

oh, by the way - Shea ain't no Fenway, Wrigley, or Yankee Stadium.................Everyone is entitled to their opinion but to those that spent time there as kids, teenagers or adults it's something special. It holds a lot of memories for a lot of people for various reasons. To me, for sentimental reasons, it's better than Fenway, Wrigley and Yankee Stadium combined. No need to rain on anyone's parade.

JimCaravello
08-25-2008, 03:04 PM
I spent a lot of time there as a kid too - and loved the place - have some great memories at Shea in the early 70's - As a family went there more than Yankee Stadium as my dad did not like to go make the trip to the Bronx. My comment really relates to the age of the Stadium and the long history that other parks have that are still standing - also, my comment is about the ebay price of $2000 for the pair. That's a little ridiculous. I think the Mets online price is really quite good. Sounds like all the lower level orange seats are gone through an online inquiry.

Didn't mean to offend you - and if I did, I apologize - sometime in the future I will get a pair of those orange seats and display them proudly in my sports room with my Yankees seats...........

MRMusial
08-25-2008, 04:35 PM
I spent a lot of time there as a kid too - and loved the place - have some great memories at Shea in the early 70's - As a family went there more than Yankee Stadium as my dad did not like to go make the trip to the Bronx. My comment really relates to the age of the Stadium and the long history that other parks have that are still standing - also, my comment is about the ebay price of $2000 for the pair. That's a little ridiculous. I think the Mets online price is really quite good. Sounds like all the lower level orange seats are gone through an online inquiry.

Didn't mean to offend you - and if I did, I apologize - sometime in the future I will get a pair of those orange seats and display them proudly in my sports room with my Yankees seats...........

No problem, Jim. I know Shea seats aren't quite the investment that those other stadium seats would be - you would know, you've got a few of them I see - but for me this is one of those times it's not about that. I'm happy to be able to have something that connects with those great memories, especially having been able to take my 5 year old daughter to her first Mets game at the place I went as a kid before they tear it down. :) Nice to hear you had some good times there too.

I agree that Shea certainly doesn't have the same history as those others and I appreciate those places too. Shea's still tops in my book and I'm sorry to see it go actually. :(

I'm with you on that eBay listing... outrageous. When I first visited your link, I thought that was a typo! :eek:

As for the Shea prices, it was more than I wanted to spend - one seat would have been fine too - but I bit the bullet. I was lucky enough to grab a set of the orange seats early this morning.

metsbats
08-25-2008, 05:06 PM
I read the price of the seats was determined by the 2 WS championships the Mets won in 69 and 86 hence the 869 price.

David

TFig27
08-25-2008, 05:24 PM
I picked up a pair of the Orange ones.

Anyone else pick up a pair? Color?

metsbats
08-25-2008, 05:29 PM
I picked up a pair of blue Loge seats. The price is higher than other recent stadium seat sales but when you factor in that shipping and restoration (repainting) of the metal bases were included it makes it less of a sting. Additionally the MLB authentication is a great plus too.

I brought my wife, 2 daughters, son to their first ball games at Shea.

Lots of fond memories there for me too just like Mike.

-David

DonFan23
08-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Another thing that everyone looking for seats from the Shea and Yankee Stadium demolitions needs to keep in mind is that although capacity for both parks is around 56k, at a minimum every 3rd seat is lost in the breakdown due to the nature of the continuous rows.

Each pair of seats needs to have the framing/armrest in between the pair and on each outer end. Therefore, in a row with 10 seats connected, you will not yield 5 pair, but only 3, and possibly a single seat from the other end, thus greatly reducing the quantity available.

My guess is that there will also be a flood of seat backs/bottoms that make their way to the market, either unsigned or with autographs of current/former greats attached.

MRMusial
08-25-2008, 07:41 PM
The price is higher than other recent stadium seat sales but when you factor in that shipping and restoration (repainting) of the metal bases were included it makes it less of a sting. Additionally the MLB authentication is a great plus too.

I'm with you, David. I imagine the cost of shipping could be expensive, relatively speaking. Also, the fact that restoration is included - as you mention - as are metal floor brackets for the blue, green and red seats (the orange seats are already floor-mountable) made the price a little more "reasonable". I like the fact that they'll arrive ready to display no matter which color you buy.

Mike

JimCaravello
08-25-2008, 07:50 PM
David - glad you snagged a pair of the orange - those were goine when I e-mailed the Mets today. If anyone who has bought orange and changes their mind and wants to sell before they are shipped - please let me know, as I prefer the floor mounted seats......thanks! Jim

metsbats
08-25-2008, 08:21 PM
David - glad you snagged a pair of the orange - those were goine when I e-mailed the Mets today. If anyone who has bought orange and changes their mind and wants to sell before they are shipped - please let me know, as I prefer the floor mounted seats......thanks! Jim

Tfig27 actually picked up an orange set. I have an orange single seat which I picked up from fellow forum member Kidhof03 (Abe K) a couple of years ago. I picked up a pair of blue loge which in my opinion and from other Met fans I've spoke too are fewer in numbers than the orange field or upper deck red seats. Though I agree those orange floor mount seats which can stand on their own are nice. I believe though the majority of the current orange seats at Shea are the new type with the cushion like seat.

DonFan23 thank you for explanation regarding the reduction in availability in complete pairs of seats.

David

metsbats
08-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Field Level - 11,149 (orange)
Loge Level - 8,852 (blue)
Mezzanine Level - 14,156 (green)
Upper Deck - 20,420 (red)

For those interested here's a breakdown of the seating capacity of Shea by levels.

David

skyking26
08-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Last October the Tigers had their sale from Tiger Stadium. They took a chain saw thru every third seat to get the pairs. I picked up a pair of blue TS seats. They arrived months later all loose and in not the greatest of shape, but they'll do. Signage went high, I did not get involved in any of that...

My parents took me and brother Jeff down at least once a year as kids. Saw alot of HOF'ers there, chased many a broadcaster from the booth for signatures. I just had my 2 kids at Comerica tonight. Nice night, terrible team, another loss. Oh well.

RK

MRMusial
08-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Always great to hear others experiences. Thanks, skyking.

Also nice to see others creating ballpark memories for their own kids. When I took my daughter in April she had a great time (cotton candy, ice cream, hot dogs - who wouldn't) but, honestly, it meant more to me just being able to share that with her. Something I'll never forget. :)

Ripken
08-28-2008, 10:09 AM
If you missed it, here's the info on the company hired to do the seat removal at Shea...

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/latest/mets-sign-seat-deal.html

metsbats
08-31-2008, 06:21 PM
The blue loge seats are sold out.

Mezz green and Upper Deck reds are still available.

David

Swoboda4
09-01-2008, 11:30 PM
I haven't bought any seats but if I did I wouldn't be too happy with this.....
The metal seat frames, which date back to Shea's opening season in 1964, will be stripped and repainted in their original color to meet standards for indoor use...."

this is from the company hired ready the seats for sale.

Do you really want them to strip the original paint off it?

B1SON
09-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Are these the repainted versions????

metsbats
09-02-2008, 06:37 AM
The metal seat frames, which date back to Shea's opening season in 1964, will be stripped and repainted in their original color to meet standards for indoor use...."

this is from the company hired ready the seats for sale.

Do you really want them to strip the original paint off it?

Swoboda4,

The Mets state that this is why they are doing this:

"After the last out of the last game, the seats will be removed and repainted. That's because paint on the metal frames, which date back to opening season in 1964, contains lead, a metal that can affect brain development."

That said they and the City of NY probably don't want to be part of some class action lawsuit in the future with collectors claiming they all got lead poisoning from their seats.

Now I do have an old orange seat with the metal frames unrestored and worn out. I'm wondering if I have a toxic land mine in my basement ?

As long as the seats I ordered has the original color restored and not hot pink I'm ok with it.

David

MRMusial
09-02-2008, 08:18 AM
If you missed it, here's the info on the company hired to do the seat removal at Shea...

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/latest/mets-sign-seat-deal.html

I hadn't seen that article. Thanks.

MRMusial
09-02-2008, 08:33 AM

Swoboda4,

The Mets state that this is why they are doing this:

"After the last out of the last game, the seats will be removed and repainted. That's because paint on the metal frames, which date back to opening season in 1964, contains lead, a metal that can affect brain development."

I had heard the same as David. While it's probably not the best from a collectible value standpoint, I doing this one for sentimental reasons. At least they're doing it to all the seats in this sale...

Mike

nyjetsfan14
09-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Hello gentlemen. Although I am a lifelong devout NY Jets fan I was a young SoCal native when the Jets played their final game at Shea and thus I am unfamiliar with the seating arrangement of the era. If any of you Shea veterans get the time is it possible you could e-mail me at nyjetsfan14@yahoo.com I'd like to pose a couple questions pertaining to past Shea seating and configuration. Thank you very much in advance for the time and happy collecting. As always...

God Bless America,
Matthew

TFig27
09-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Just posing this question. If you had a chance to pick the two consecutive numbers of your seats, what would you pick?

MRMusial
09-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Just posing this question. If you had a chance to pick the two consecutive numbers of your seats, what would you pick?
Hmmm. Maybe...

#7 - 8 (Reyes/Kranepool - Cater)

or...

#16 - 17 (Doc - Mex)

Good question though ... made me think.

nyjetsfan14
09-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Hmmm. Maybe...

#7 - 8 (Reyes/Kranepool - Cater)

or...

#16 - 17 (Doc - Mex)

Good question though ... made me think.

Oh that's a no brainer: 12 & 13 = Namath and Maynard...the greatest passing combo in AFL history! I think the Jets history at Shea is getting lost in the hoopla. I know they haven't played there in 25 years BUT they did put the AFL on the map in Shea and that was their home as they shocked the world and changed the game of football forever. Name a bigger star than Namath to grace the grass of Shea? There is none. GO JETS!

MRMusial
09-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Name a bigger star than Namath to grace the grass of Shea?

When you mentioned Namath at Shea it made me think outside the box...

Some - not necessarily me - might say the Beatles... :)

metsbats
09-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Here are two orange seats which probably won't make it into the Shea sale inventory. Or will they be cleaned up and sold?

David

TFig27
09-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Here are two orange seats which probably won't make it into the Shea sale inventory. Or will they be cleaned up and sold?

David

Photomatched seats! What's better than that.

MRMusial
09-13-2008, 08:11 PM
The Mets plan to move next year into a new ballpark, Citi Field. (Chipper) Jones wanted some keepsakes from the old place to put in his house, so he paid full price -- $869 -- to secure a pair of orange, field-level seats.

"I bought 'em. They're not giving anything away here," he said. "I'm sure that a bunch of people who sat in those seats have called me a bunch of names, but they're going to be residing in my house here before too long. So, just a little memento for my little dungeon down in my basement, my little memorabilia area."Even Chipper bought a pair....

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spshea0914,0,4792328.story

metsbats
09-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Even Chipper bought a pair....

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spshea0914,0,4792328.story

Quick! Someone send Chipper the MeiGray Shea inventory list. I'm sure he'd find something with the Shea name on it.

David

MRMusial
09-15-2008, 11:51 PM
fyi.

ckesten
10-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Does anyone have any idea how the metal frames might look on the green, blue and red seats? I just found out about this and I'm a little concerned that its going to be an eye saw or someting unpleasant.

Has anyone seen anything like this done on any other seat...

Someone ease my fears!!!

thanks

stadiumseating.net
10-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Hello ckesten,
I'm not sure I understand your question and concern. I'm very happy to answer any questions you have about the Shea Stadium seat removal and shipping.
My company is the company that has taken out the seats from Shea... S&S Seating... www.stadiumseating.net (http://www.stadiumseating.net)
Thanks,
S&S Seating

stadiumseating.net
10-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi everyone,
S&S Seating (www.stadiumseating.net (http://www.stadiumseating.net)) has a new press release coming out on Friday announcing the completion of the seat removal process at Shea!
The seat removal was a huge success and was completed on schedule.
There are still seats available for purchase (green and red) at www.mets.com/shea (http://www.mets.com/shea)

Feel free to send me any questions about Shea Stadium or any of the other stadium projects that we have coming up (Texas Stadium; Fenway; Yankees potentially). Our website is www.stadiumseating.net (http://www.stadiumseating.net).

Thanks,
S&S Seating

raider1088
10-16-2008, 06:29 PM
i got a pair of the blue seat as soon as they went on sale.as a die hard mets fan i can't wait to get them.i wasn't at first because of the cost and the way the economy was going but i told my wife if i didn't get a pair i would be kicking myself in the a**.

Metsfan808
10-17-2008, 07:49 AM
i got a pair of the blue seat as soon as they went on sale.as a die hard mets fan i can't wait to get them.i wasn't at first because of the cost and the way the economy was going but i told my wife if i didn't get a pair i would be kicking myself in the a**.

I was in the same boat as you were and because I hesitated I missed out on the orange seats. After they took my order for the orange the evening they went on sale ( I spent all morning debating whether to buy them or not), I got a call the next mornign telling me they were sold out and that I could choose the blue, green or red seats, or I could get a refund. I got a pair of the blue, which I am OK with, as long as it was not the green or the red I was OK with it. The only regret I have is that the blue seats are not floor mounted and come on the stands, but it not that big of a deal that I would not take them.

MRMusial
11-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Liverpool museum buys Shea seats for Beatles exhibit

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/music/ny-etseats145926130nov14,0,1891451.story?track=rss

metsbats
11-15-2008, 08:19 AM
The interesting aspect of the Liverpool purchase is that the seats they just purchased were not exactly the same seats that stood in Shea in 1965 during the Beatles concert.

Only the metal armrests and frames are the original from 1964. Wonder if they are aware of that.

David

TFig27
11-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Anyone have any news on when they will start shipping?

metsbats
11-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Supposedly 6-8 weeks after the last game which means about now if they were accurate.

I'm waiting for the angry call at work from my wife when they end up at my door step.

David

metsbats
11-23-2008, 09:27 PM
http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=83432&page=66

I'm a member of www.baseball-fever.com (http://www.baseball-fever.com) too and been enjoying viewing their Shea Stadium Demolition thread.

Looks like the Stadium seats have start getting to collectors. Check out the paint job.

Enjoy!
David

metsbats
11-23-2008, 09:30 PM
http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=83432&page=66

I'm a member of www.baseball-fever.com (http://www.baseball-fever.com) too and been enjoying viewing their Shea Stadium Demolition thread.

Looks like the Stadium seats have start getting to collectors. Check out the paint job.

Enjoy!
David

Here's the photo. not sure if non-members can see the photos.

skyking26
11-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Supposedly 6-8 weeks after the last game which means about now if they were accurate.

I'm waiting for the angry call at work from my wife when they end up at my door step.

David
Swallow hard and take it, that call is coming. I had several of them with 2008 purchases I made and hid from my wife - but it was basically a once in a lifetime opportunity.

metsbats
11-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Swallow hard and take it, that call is coming. I had several of them with 2008 purchases I made and hid from my wife - but it was basically a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Bob,

I dread the next few days and weeks as that large UPS 70lb package heads to my home. I can hide a jersey and with some skill a bat tube but this is the motherload of all deliveries that knows no hiding place on this earth.

If you guys don't see me posting within the next few weeks I may not have survived this one.

David

skyking26
11-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Bob,

I dread the next few days and weeks as that large UPS 70lb package heads to my home. I can hide a jersey and with some skill a bat tube but this is the motherload of all deliveries that knows no hiding place on this earth.

If you guys don't see me posting within the next few weeks I may not have survived this one.

David
Dave: I slipped up a few years ago and took $$ out of bank acct and used a cashier's check to pay for a jersey. In 30 days, because I took $$ direct from the acct and used it for the check, it appeared on our statement. I had been doing stuff like this for years. Now wife watches my every move. Holidays are good distractions though, but not enough to hide these seats. Best thing to do here is wait til she is in a good mood, and then tell her what you did and that it is a Christmas present for you - she does not have to get you anything else... If this does not work, another thing I do is have stuff delivered to our work instead of home and then I pick it up. You'd have to get it from work and get it home and wherever you are going to put it on a day when you knew she was not around....:cool:

AWA85
11-23-2008, 11:45 PM
All this talk is telling me I need to collect big time now, before I settle down! :D

metsbats
11-24-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm picking up my mother in law tomorrow night so she can sleep over thru the holidays. I'm hoping the seats come during her stay:D She and the holiday (all my wife's family coming over and i'm cooking) may be just the right distraction I'll need.

AWA85 you are right. Before I got married I purchased anything I like anytime. Once your married you'll need to be more selective.

David

skyking26
11-24-2008, 01:00 AM
My mother-in-law passed on a year ago this past August. A very quiet, kind lady. She had many illnesses before her passing, and living alone 45 minutes away she was always welcome here. Sure, she distracted my wife from my collecting spending, no doubt. However, having lost my mom at age 51 she was a close 2nd to a mom, and I miss her. Dave, enjoy her visit, distractions or not...

mbrieve
11-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Liverpool museum buys Shea seats for Beatles exhibit

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/music/ny-etseats145926130nov14,0,1891451.story?track=rss

I visited this museum 7 or 8 years ago. Not all that impressed. They had some neat Beatles collectibles, but the Hard Rock Cafe in London had more/better memorabilia.