Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRMusial
    • Apr 2008

Shea Stadium Seats

Seats are now available for sale to the general public.

The New York Mets and the City of New York are giving all Mets fans the opportunity to purchase pairs of seats by seat color - orange, blue, green, and red - for $869 per pair plus state sales tax (8.375% for NY residents and 6.5% for FL residents). A limited inventory of seat pairs will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
    www.mets.com/shea

Attached Files
  • costas
    • Aug 2008

Re: Shea Stadium Seats

why are Florida residents being charged a tax?

Comment

• MRMusial
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by costas
      why are Florida residents being charged a tax?
      My guess. It's related to the Mets spring training operations in Florida. They probably have some state tax liability as a result of their presence there.

Comment

• costas
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by MRMusial
        My guess. It's related to the Mets spring training operations in Florida. They probably have some state tax liability as a result of their presence there.
        good call, that must be the reason

Comment

• JimCaravello
          • Jan 1970

Now this is ridiculous - people are already trying to flip their seats on ebay! This person has two listings for sale. With over 57,000 seats hitting the market, there will be plenty of buying opportunities the next few years - and oh, by the way - Shea ain't no Fenway, Wrigley, or Yankee Stadium.................

Comment

• metsbats
            • Nov 2005

Funny thing is, if you go to the Mets sale site (I just did a minute ago) the blue log seat pairs are still available at 869 + NY or FLA tax. Why would anyone offer this guy anything unless it's BELOW the Mets price at this point?

-David
            metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• metsbats
              • Nov 2005

I read that only 16,000 or 32,000 seat will be available for public sale which accounts for the season ticket holder offering and now the general public.

Does anyone know what happens to the other 24,000 seats??

Jim, Do you know what is happening with the Yankees stadium seats yet?

David
              metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• JimCaravello
                • Jan 1970

I have heard that everything is going to be for sale - but haven't heard or seen any details yet. The best seats were pulled out of Yankee Stadium in the early 70's and am fortunate to have two singles and two doubles - the existing seats at Yankee Stadium are plastic and just don't do a lot for me personally. Shea's seats are plastic too - but is a little different - they are nicer looking to me than the Yankees seats and the different colors are kind of neat......plus, they are older than the Yankees seats...........

Comment

• MRMusial
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by JimCaravello
                  With over 57,000 seats hitting the market, there will be plenty of buying opportunities the next few years
                  The article I read said they're only selling 16,000 seats to the general public. I assume, since they're sold in pairs, that actual total may be 32,000. I wonder if the remaining seats are those available to season ticket holders prior to the general public sale that began today. Not sure though.

oh, by the way - Shea ain't no Fenway, Wrigley, or Yankee Stadium.................
                  Everyone is entitled to their opinion but to those that spent time there as kids, teenagers or adults it's something special. It holds a lot of memories for a lot of people for various reasons. To me, for sentimental reasons, it's better than Fenway, Wrigley and Yankee Stadium combined. No need to rain on anyone's parade.

Comment

• JimCaravello
                    • Jan 1970

I spent a lot of time there as a kid too - and loved the place - have some great memories at Shea in the early 70's - As a family went there more than Yankee Stadium as my dad did not like to go make the trip to the Bronx. My comment really relates to the age of the Stadium and the long history that other parks have that are still standing - also, my comment is about the ebay price of $2000 for the pair. That's a little ridiculous. I think the Mets online price is really quite good. Sounds like all the lower level orange seats are gone through an online inquiry.

Didn't mean to offend you - and if I did, I apologize - sometime in the future I will get a pair of those orange seats and display them proudly in my sports room with my Yankees seats...........

Comment

• MRMusial
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by JimCaravello
                      I spent a lot of time there as a kid too - and loved the place - have some great memories at Shea in the early 70's - As a family went there more than Yankee Stadium as my dad did not like to go make the trip to the Bronx. My comment really relates to the age of the Stadium and the long history that other parks have that are still standing - also, my comment is about the ebay price of $2000 for the pair. That's a little ridiculous. I think the Mets online price is really quite good. Sounds like all the lower level orange seats are gone through an online inquiry.

Didn't mean to offend you - and if I did, I apologize - sometime in the future I will get a pair of those orange seats and display them proudly in my sports room with my Yankees seats...........
                      No problem, Jim. I know Shea seats aren't quite the investment that those other stadium seats would be - you would know, you've got a few of them I see - but for me this is one of those times it's not about that. I'm happy to be able to have something that connects with those great memories, especially having been able to take my 5 year old daughter to her first Mets game at the place I went as a kid before they tear it down. Nice to hear you had some good times there too.

I agree that Shea certainly doesn't have the same history as those others and I appreciate those places too. Shea's still tops in my book and I'm sorry to see it go actually.

I'm with you on that eBay listing... outrageous. When I first visited your link, I thought that was a typo!

As for the Shea prices, it was more than I wanted to spend - one seat would have been fine too - but I bit the bullet. I was lucky enough to grab a set of the orange seats early this morning.

Comment

• metsbats
                        • Nov 2005

I read the price of the seats was determined by the 2 WS championships the Mets won in 69 and 86 hence the 869 price.

David
                        metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• TFig27
                          • Oct 2006

I picked up a pair of the Orange ones.

Anyone else pick up a pair? Color?
                          sigpic
                          TFig27 - NY Yankees Collector
                          A. Boone - R. Cano - N. Swisher - T. Martinez - P. O'Neill - E. Hinske
                          J. Damon - R. Brogna - D. Bragg - W. Upshaw - K. Farnsworth

Comment

• metsbats
                            • Nov 2005

I picked up a pair of blue Loge seats. The price is higher than other recent stadium seat sales but when you factor in that shipping and restoration (repainting) of the metal bases were included it makes it less of a sting. Additionally the MLB authentication is a great plus too.

I brought my wife, 2 daughters, son to their first ball games at Shea.

Lots of fond memories there for me too just like Mike.

-David
                            metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• DonFan23
                              • Aug 2005

Another thing that everyone looking for seats from the Shea and Yankee Stadium demolitions needs to keep in mind is that although capacity for both parks is around 56k, at a minimum every 3rd seat is lost in the breakdown due to the nature of the continuous rows.

Each pair of seats needs to have the framing/armrest in between the pair and on each outer end. Therefore, in a row with 10 seats connected, you will not yield 5 pair, but only 3, and possibly a single seat from the other end, thus greatly reducing the quantity available.

My guess is that there will also be a flood of seat backs/bottoms that make their way to the market, either unsigned or with autographs of current/former greats attached.
                              R.J. Hinners

Always looking for Don Mattingly and other Yankees' game-used items and quality memorabilia.

Comment

Working...