PDA

View Full Version : Mets Team Store or Game Used Contact?

MRMusial
08-26-2008, 04:16 PM
In reading various threads, I've noticed that some teams have contacts available at their team store or directly by email - like the Detroit Tigers, for example - and members have been kind enough to share that information.

With the Mets and Steiner parting ways (so I've read but the last Steiner rep I spoke with not too long ago says they still have a relationship, who knows?), does anyone have a contact at the Mets team store or an email address for someone handling Mets game used items at Shea? I'd like to get on a mailing list, etc.

If you do, that'd be appreciated....

Mike

Ozric
08-26-2008, 05:01 PM
I have had really good luck with Tyrel. Here is his information:

Tyrel Kirkham
Merchandise Coordinator
New York Mets
123-01 Roosevelt Ave
Flushing , NY 11368
Phone: (718) 559-3108
Fax: (718) 449-1886
tkirkham@nymets.com

TNTtoys
08-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Mike,

You know how much I used to buy from Steiner... Despite their high prices, they worked with me, offered very good discounts, and made me privy to some good sale prices from time to time.

That said, I receive the communication from Mets game used regularly. I have not bought a single item from them, because I feel that they have lost touch with the collector. For example, they were asking $600 for a game used bat for a semi-star, and told me that they would go as low as $550. That said, a bat from this player just sold on ebay for under $150. I hope the Mets realize what they are doing with the game used items in time, but am not immediately hopeful. I think this "mystique" of this year being the final year at Shea is helping create this false reality.

I just can't figure out if people are actually buying or not. Steiner often blew out items and are still left with 2000 items from 2005-2007. I'd love to hear some insight as to whether or not these 2008 items are starting to stockpile. I couldn't imagine that they aren't.

Nick

MRMusial
08-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Ozric, thanks for the information.

Nick, thanks for sharing your experiences with both the Mets and Steiner. Compared to a lot of others here, I'm still relative new to collecting game used items as I collected other sports memorabilia, including cards for a lot of years. I was trying to branch out and (after stumbling upon it by accident) began by joining this forum and with the help of others here continue to broaden my collecting horizons, as they say. I appreciate the time you took with your reply.

Although I'm not always in a position to buy, I love to look at what's out there and maybe jump on a deal or two should they pass my way. I was hoping that, like the Tigers, maybe dealing directly with the Mets rather than Steiner or MLB might be more reasonable. I'm disappointed to hear it's probably not.

Mike

TFig27
08-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Mike,

What's your email address?

Tom

TFig27@aol.com

Ozric
08-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Mike... My dealings so far have been great and I do not have any complaints regarding prices. I am in the process of picking up a spring training hat for $25, a catchers chest protector for $125, and a jersey for $300. These are actually a bit cheaper than what Steiner would have charged for them. They will even try and reserve items for you if they know they will be getting them. Give Tyrel a call and let him know what you are interested in and see what he can do for you. It's worth a shot...

Tim

MRMusial
08-26-2008, 08:47 PM
What's your email address?

mrmusial@gmail.com. Real original, eh?

MRMusial
08-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks again, Tim. I'll contact Tyrel. It never hurts to get on a mailing list or make a friend.

metsbats
08-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Mike,

You know how much I used to buy from Steiner... Despite their high prices, they worked with me, offered very good discounts, and made me privy to some good sale prices from time to time.

That said, I receive the communication from Mets game used regularly. I have not bought a single item from them, because I feel that they have lost touch with the collector. For example, they were asking $600 for a game used bat for a semi-star, and told me that they would go as low as $550. That said, a bat from this player just sold on ebay for under $150. I hope the Mets realize what they are doing with the game used items in time, but am not immediately hopeful. I think this "mystique" of this year being the final year at Shea is helping create this false reality.

I just can't figure out if people are actually buying or not. Steiner often blew out items and are still left with 2000 items from 2005-2007. I'd love to hear some insight as to whether or not these 2008 items are starting to stockpile. I couldn't imagine that they aren't.

Nick

Nick,

I agree with you on this one. I've not brought anything directly from the Mets because of the high prices. If you notice some of the items are on the listings are already on MLB auctions for much less starting prices. The Mets are trying to overprice things the way Steiner started out when Mets-Steiner was first started. The Mets like Steiner will realize that Met fans are not like Yankee fans when coming to pay for memoribilia.

While there will still be folks that will overpay because of the hype of the 2008 "Final Season" I rather wait till the hype is over and pick up these items at more reasonable down to earth prices on the secondary market.

David

allstarsplus
08-26-2008, 10:58 PM
My contacts tell me the Mets are interested in a game used deal like they had with Steiner. Don't be surprised if they get something done by the end of the season.

I think they missed the boat on the oppportunity for "Last year in Shea" and they don't want to miss the 1st year in Citi plus they are in the running to make the playoffs (as I watch extra innings with the Phillies lol).

MRMusial
08-26-2008, 11:06 PM
That sounds encouraging. Thanks, Andrew.

Several of us are suffering through this game ... I know Nick is watching too.

allstarsplus
08-26-2008, 11:15 PM
That sounds encouraging. Thanks, Andrew.

Several of us are suffering through this game ... I know Nick is watching too.

Thank goodness for the MLB Ticket on DirecTV. I am watching SNY HD on Channel 730.

What a game.

Just got back from the Nats Dodgers game which was also a nail biter.

Good luck to fans on both sides of the Jersey Turnpike.

Chris78
08-27-2008, 10:43 AM
I have bought a few items from the store, which I did not know existed until June 14th when my brother wanted to see where the Subway was and their prices. I agree that the prices are higher than they should be; although, the jersey prices seemed to be better. I bought on June 14th a Sandy Alomar Sr. MLB authenticated road jersey from opening day March 31st for $200, and on August 10th I bought one of the Spring Training jerseys (Tom Nieto) with Shea Stadium Patch ($200) and a Mike Pelfrey game used bat that was marked $250, but scanned at $200. Some of their prices, especially on bats, are high though.

Maybe next year they will lower the prices. I do not plan to go back to Shea again this year. I am curious though, when did this store open?

Thanks,
Chris