PDA

View Full Version : Collector to Collector Classifieds

trsent
08-26-2008, 09:44 PM
I am curious, what does the public think?

Since us dealers are not allowed to sell anymore on this forum, which I have no problem with, if a user has an eBay Store, wouldn't that give them "Dealer" status?

If you pay eBay to have a storefront (which I personally do not) wouldn't that mean you have a commitment to sell, which then makes you a dealer?

I thought this was to be a collector selling forum only, but it appears even full time eBay sellers, who have eBay Stores are sometimes not considered to be a dealer.

I think a clarification on this needs to be made.

metsbats
08-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Joel,

Good question.

In my opinion anyone who uses a reseller id and relies on dealing full time for a living is a real dealer.

However there are many dealers who have day jobs and still deal. One example of this would be John Taube. Also there are folks like Chris Boyd who are dealer/collectors.

It's a tough call. I agree it needs to be clarified. Having a storefront on ebay may make someone a dealer if they are doing this for a living but others may be dealing part-time to feed their collection or supplement their full time income.

-David

trsent
08-26-2008, 11:13 PM
It's a tough call. I agree it needs to be clarified. Having a storefront on ebay may make someone a dealer if they are doing this for a living but others may be dealing part-time to feed their collection or supplement their full time income.

There is no way to know some of the part time dealers, full time dealers, part time buyers and part time sellers. The rule is very vague, and we have to police the forum itself to be sure dealers are not selling, which is silly.

I just figure if someone pays eBay for a storefront, then they should be considered a dealer, correct? The argument that some dealers collect is silly, if you are a dealer sell through you business and don't complain about the rules Game Used Universe set.

Some collectors sell items they no longer want on eBay, but if you pay eBay a monthly fee to have an eBay Store, you should be classified as a dealer since you are paying to have an online storefront. Correct?

eGameUsed
08-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Joel,

I don't want to get in trouble any longer, but I do have a comment.

I formed my "business" in 2002 as I was starting to make some considerable profits through selling on eBay. I tried to convince myself that it was okay to make profits, put back into my collection, and not give Uncle Sam his cut. I was wrong, and have a close friend that will likely be paying off the IRS for 15 or so more years for it.

The fact is that if anyone of us have ever shown a profit during the year (not one sale, but all sales throughout a fiscal year, less all costs), we should have a business. It is known as a sole proprieter! I pay Uncle Sam a cut of my annual profits on all memorabilia I sell. I made that choice for a variety of reasons.

In the end, I consider myself a collector (ask my wife as she thinks I dump more in my inventory/collection than I make, which I do in some years). However, as long as I make a profit on the inventory/collection I sold, I owe Uncle Sam. Part of my advertising and "business" expense is having a website, which I rarely update, yet have it none the less.

In my opinion, I did the right thing, and am being punsihed in this venue. That is okay, because again, I was asked to not sell bats that cost me $20 for $15, so no big deal. I was trying to eliminate some bats sitting in the corner of my closet collecting dust, not trying to make an immense profit. Oh well. Life goes on; thank goodness for my 70 Hour a week real job!

Good night!

frikativ54
08-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Joel,

I don't want to get in trouble any longer, but I do have a comment. ...In my opinion, I did the right thing, and am being punished in this venue. That is okay, because again, I was asked to not sell bats that cost me $20 for $15, so no big deal. I was trying to eliminate some bats sitting in the corner of my closet collecting dust, not trying to make an immense profit. Oh well. Life goes on; thank goodness for my 70 Hour a week real job!

Can someone tell me what is going on here? I was having computer issues last weekend, so I may have missed something. Is there some elephant in the room, so to speak? :confused:

trsent
08-27-2008, 01:17 AM
Can someone tell me what is going on here? I was having computer issues last weekend, so I may have missed something. Is there some elephant in the room, so to speak? :confused:

To find your answer, just look in the mirror. :)

frikativ54
08-27-2008, 01:39 AM
To find your answer, just look in the mirror. :)

What are you talking about? I just asked what you guys are discussing, and then you try and insult me...:confused: Seriously, I just asked a question, since I don't know what Chris Boyd was referencing in his post. Are you accusing me of being the elephant in the mirror? I honestly don't understand, and I am posting for clarification.

metsbats
08-27-2008, 09:15 AM
There is no way to know some of the part time dealers, full time dealers, part time buyers and part time sellers. The rule is very vague, and we have to police the forum itself to be sure dealers are not selling, which is silly.

I just figure if someone pays eBay for a storefront, then they should be considered a dealer, correct? The argument that some dealers collect is silly, if you are a dealer sell through you business and don't complain about the rules Game Used Universe set.

Some collectors sell items they no longer want on eBay, but if you pay eBay a monthly fee to have an eBay Store, you should be classified as a dealer since you are paying to have an online storefront. Correct?

I think most dealers have ebay storefronts and it can be used as one of the criteria to determine if someone is a dealer if GUU wanted to. Though there are exceptions and it's not foolproof. For example Ball Park Heroes has an ebay storefront however John Taube does not. Both are dealers.

David

BergerKing22784
08-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Well I guess Chris is a dealer but his post was the kind of deals I was looking and hoping to see on the previous for sale and current collectors forum section. It saves me the hassle of having to post on the "wanted" section. I know sometimes there are items I wouldnt mind buying but dont think to request them on the wanted section and people naturally post them on the collectors forum.

I want that forum to be filled with tons and tons of stuff to be sold as long as its under the $500. I like Chris post granted I bought nothing from it before was removed. Also when people are allowed to post freely on there it leaves the "collectors" with many items to add to their collection.

I also feel we get better deals because of it. Some people tend to quote higher prices to you if you request a particular item on the wanted section rather than the item being naturally posted by the person trying to sell it without them having prior knowledge of there being a demand there. That classified section allows us to get items without that unnecessary "premium."