PDA

View Full Version : Privacy and GUU

frikativ54
08-28-2008, 06:27 PM
There has been something that has bothered me about the Game Used Forums for quite a while that I thought I would state here. Perhaps people could explain the administrators' thinking on the matter. Anyway, there is a practice on this board of referring to people by their first names. And Chris started referring to me using my first name last month, with other members following.

Additionally, many choose to sign their posts with their last name, as I do. My email address is my first and middle initials, plus my last name, so it is obvious what my last name is, by email alone. That being said, I appreciate not being called by my first name on these boards. Call me "Frik" for those of you who don't already, but I don't need my tastes in game-used memorabilia coming up on Google searches. Are there others who feel the same way as I do?

In my opinion, my love of Astros' memorabilia is private and does not need to be advertised on the internet.

Rob L
08-28-2008, 06:31 PM
You've signed posts in the past with your first name.

frikativ54
08-28-2008, 07:17 PM
You've signed posts in the past with your first name.

I don't think I have any time recently.

TFig27
08-28-2008, 07:19 PM
What would you rather come up when someone googles you?

Eric
08-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Everyone who wants to participate here first registers with a valid first and last name which can be found in the Hobby Network database on the toolbar at the top of the page.

People here aren't allowed to participate unless they supply this information. Unfortunately I think if you want to remain private, this isn't the place to go.

Eric

frikativ54
08-28-2008, 08:09 PM
What would you rather come up when someone googles you?

What I do outside of GUU, not my personal tastes about game-used memorabilia.

-Frik

TFig27
08-28-2008, 08:14 PM
But this is what you do. You can't pick and choose what shows up. I googled you and found a bunch of pictures of you. That would be more invasive to me than the fact that I collect game used items.

frikativ54
08-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Everyone who wants to participate here first registers with a valid first and last name which can be found in the Hobby Network database on the toolbar at the top of the page.

Can I use my first and middle initials? If so, then I will go and edit my registration.

sylbry
08-28-2008, 09:48 PM
After googling your name your posts make much more sense.

MRMusial
08-28-2008, 11:15 PM
In my opinion, my love of Astros' memorabilia is private and does not need to be advertised on the internet.

What I do outside of GUU, not my personal tastes about game-used memorabilia.

Not looking to pick a fight, but you seem to have volunteered that information yourself already. Below is a quote from an article freely available on the internet via Google search. Ironically, you provided game used memorabilia information in an article that was focused on what you do outside of GUU. (In respect of your privacy, I won't post the link or the question that was asked of you.)

"I have many interests. I am an avid Houston Astros fan, and I have been a devotee since grade school. Jeff Bagwell is a favorite of mine, so I collect his baseball cards and game used memorabilia. ..."Curious. If you're concerned about keeping things separate, why sign your posts with your last name? Why not choose an email address that doesn't contain personal information? It seems to me you let the cat halfway out of the bag.

Again, not trying to be critical, but you asked if others feel the same way so it's just my two cents...

By the way, since you brought it up, is Frik a nickname?

frikativ54
08-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Not looking to pick a fight, but you seem to have volunteered that information yourself already. Below is a quote from an article freely available on the internet via Google search. Ironically, you provided game used memorabilia information in an article that was focused on what you do outside of GUU. (In respect of your privacy, I won't post the link or the question that was asked of you.)

Curious. If you're concerned about keeping things separate, why sign your posts with your last name? Why not choose an email address that doesn't contain personal information? It seems to me you let the cat halfway out of the bag.

Again, not trying to be critical, but you asked if others feel the same way so it's just my two cents...

By the way, since you brought it up, is Frik a nickname?

Frik is a nickname, a shortened version of my username, given to me on another board. In short, I sign my posts with lazukor@gmail.com, because it's my main email address, and if I get an offer for game-used memorabilia, I want to see it. Perhaps in retrospect, I should not have signed my posts with my last name. But at the time, I didn't think it was that big of a deal, and since everyone else was doing it, I wanted to follow suit.

I didn't see any problem until I made a post about GUU and Chris called me by my first name, and everyone else did the same. I don't have a problem with revealing information about my Bagwell collecting on an interview that I gave last spring. What I have a problem with is posts from a baseball message board coming up on google searches, and I was hoping that people would respect that and call me "Frik."

MRMusial
08-29-2008, 12:43 AM
I have no problem calling you "Frik". Feel free to call me Mike...

metsbats
08-29-2008, 06:20 AM
Frik,

What is that telephone number under your signature? I would think if you are concerned about privacy you wouldn't put a phone number there.

Since folks seem to have googled you has anyone called you at that number?

Again like Mike my question is straight forward and not meant to pick a fight.

Can you please let us know what that number is and why it's there?

Thanks
David

Jags Fan Dan
08-29-2008, 06:29 AM
This is pretty wild. We are all on a public message board on the world wide web. You aren't going to find much privacy here.

platinum1
08-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Why bring this up? I think you just made it worst for yourself.
Most people here are going to start wondering and will start to google you. Many Many times in the past you have posted your views and thougths and if people google you they will find the same things they already know.

frikativ54
08-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Why bring this up? I think you just made it worst for yourself.
Most people here are going to start wondering and will start to google you. Many Many times in the past you have posted your views and thougths and if people google you they will find the same things they already know.

I guess I didn't realize the repercussions; I thought we could have a civilized discussion about privacy and GUU. But like so many things on this forum, people are more concerned with people than ideas. I find it kind of amusing; I want to talk about privacy, and all of a sudden everyone googles me. :eek:

Vintagedeputy
08-29-2008, 11:18 AM
I have been on vacation so I guess that I missed some of this -

First off, for the record, let me state that I will not be googling you....

now, let me see if I understand "today's" rant:

1 - you dont like being called by your first name

2 - you dont like anyone on the internet to know that you collect game used stuff

wow, glad that I clarified all that in my head. Now I can enjoy the rest of my vacation here in sunny Mexico..........

ps - who do I speak to about getting that 10 minutes of my life back?

platinum1
08-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I have been on vacation so I guess that I missed some of this -

First off, for the record, let me state that I will not be googling you....

now, let me see if I understand "today's" rant:

1 - you dont like being called by your first name

2 - you dont like anyone on the internet to know that you collect game used stuff

wow, glad that I clarified all that in my head. Now I can enjoy the rest of my vacation here in sunny Mexico..........

ps - who do I speak to about getting that 10 minutes of my life back?
Dont worry about getting 10 minutes of your life back. Just go to the bar and ask for Squirt with tequila and all your worries will be gone.

Mr.3000
08-29-2008, 11:32 AM
I guess I didn't realize the repercussions; I thought we could have a civilized discussion about privacy and GUU. But like so many things on this forum, people are more concerned with people than ideas. I find it kind of amusing; I want to talk about privacy, and all of a sudden everyone googles me. :eek:

Wow. Just wow. Let me see if I get thsi all. You post on many, many forums about your love of game used memorabilia, Jeff Bagwell, the Astros, squirrels, food and atheism. You have pictures of yourself plastered all over the world wide web. Yet, you want privacy? And your beef today (no different from may others days from what I've seen) is your dislike for people calling you by your first name?

All I can say is, we don't always get what we want. I'm sure we can all respect your wish to not be addressed by your first name. Past that, I can't see how much more privacy you can expect on the internet or GUU.

ndevlin
08-29-2008, 11:35 AM
If you are worried about privacy, which is no problem, I dont blame you. You should definitely consider taking off your phone # unless you own a business I suppose. Not only could people call you, it also tells us where you are located and who your provider is. Maybe taking off your email? People can just google you with that as well.

I myself didnt like my name and email on the web, but after a while I didnt really mind it as much. Guess I just got more comfortable with it and now I dont care.

worldchamps
08-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Goggle is an awesome thing....honestly when people started calling you Leslie, I assumed you were a guy and people were being mean calling you a name you did not like...goggle tells alot

Here is an interesting quote I found from Jeff Bagwell and his retirement press conference....goggle helped me find this

What led you to this decision? "What led me to this decision was the tremendous amount of pain that I couldn't deal with anymore. I played a couple days in a row, I came out that first game and then I played a couple of days and I got through it and I said 'Alright, let's see what's happening here.' I had to come out in the game in Detroit this week -- and I said I wasn't going to embarrass myself, and I felt like this was a joke. I could not get the ball to the infielders, and they were on the grass. God bless my teammates, even from the pitchers who come get the ball from me, it's amazing how great they've been through this. I just could not get it to them and I said this is not what I want. I'm not going to continue to do this. We are defending our National League championship this year and I'm not going to be this kind of distraction of a broken-down first baseman who can't throw to the infielders. I said I've got to go in a different direction."

frikativ54
08-29-2008, 12:03 PM
What led you to this decision? "What led me to this decision was the tremendous amount of pain that I couldn't deal with anymore. I played a couple days in a row, I came out that first game and then I played a couple of days and I got through it and I said 'Alright, let's see what's happening here.' I had to come out in the game in Detroit this week -- and I said I wasn't going to embarrass myself, and I felt like this was a joke. I could not get the ball to the infielders, and they were on the grass. God bless my teammates, even from the pitchers who come get the ball from me, it's amazing how great they've been through this. I just could not get it to them and I said this is not what I want. I'm not going to continue to do this. We are defending our National League championship this year and I'm not going to be this kind of distraction of a broken-down first baseman who can't throw to the infielders. I said I've got to go in a different direction."

I can be a fan of a player whom I don't agree with on everything. I am not so narrow-minded as to not root for a guy because he believes differently than I do. Bagwell never came out and said that Christianity was the source of all morality, like Berkman did. He wasn't out making comments about gay people; rather, he was concerning himself with baseball. And that's what I like, because I am a baseball fan, no matter my creed.

both-teams-played-hard
08-29-2008, 12:37 PM
What the Frik?

Since you are concerned about privacy, I will assume that ----------------is just a pseudonym. I will assume that isn't your real phone number. I will assume you fry squirrels in a popcorn popper. I will assume you love Jesus. I will also assume that you think W. keeps this country safe. I will assume you prefer a nice crease down the middle of your line-up cards.

Most famous people have mis-information on the 'net.
This post will rest in the anals of Google. Forever.

camarokids
08-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Actually, I think it is pretty cool , I google "Devil Rays game used bats".

Well Guess what?

At the top of the search results list is my Devil Rays Bats Wanted post on GUU!

sylbry
08-29-2008, 02:27 PM
I can be a fan of a player whom I don't agree with on everything. I am not so narrow-minded as to not root for a guy because he believes differently than I do. Bagwell never came out and said that Christianity was the source of all morality, like Berkman did. He wasn't out making comments about gay people; rather, he was concerning himself with baseball. And that's what I like, because I am a baseball fan, no matter my creed.

You called Josh Hamilton intollerant for asking a kid to recite a Bible verse before giving him a game used bat.

bigtruck260
08-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Frik -

Somehow, I think that this is just another one of your many attempts to cause controversy on this board. Now - everyone here (who bothered to test your hypothesis) knows what you look like. We know you are from Oregon, and that you have beliefs that you are passionate about.

Seems pretty normal to me. So normal in fact, that I wonder if you WANTED us all to check out your Google hits to learn more about your personal life outside of this board. For someone who is concerned about privacy, you don't hide much.

platinum1
08-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Frik -

Somehow, I think that this is just another one of your many attempts to cause controversy on this board. Now - everyone here (who bothered to test your hypothesis) knows what you look like. We know you are from Oregon, and that you have beliefs that you are passionate about.

Seems pretty normal to me. So normal in fact, that I wonder if you WANTED us all to check out your Google hits to learn more about your personal life outside of this board. For someone who is concerned about privacy, you don't hide much.
AMEN!!
OOPS CAN I SAY THAT

Jags Fan Dan
08-29-2008, 02:42 PM
I've known quite a few people in my life, but I have never known anyone who believed so strongly in not believing in something.

ironmanfan
08-29-2008, 04:39 PM
I swear to God that I'm an atheist :D

frikativ54
08-29-2008, 05:40 PM
What the Frik?

Since you are concerned about privacy, I will assume that [Frik] Zukor of Oregon is just a pseudonym. I will assume that isn't your real phone number. I will assume you fry squirrels in a popcorn popper. I will assume you love Jesus. I will also assume that you think W. keeps this country safe. I will assume you prefer a nice crease down the middle of your line-up cards.

Most famous people have mis-information on the 'net.
This post will rest in the anals of Google. Forever.

Perhaps you don't know the difference between anals and annals. But I don't know what you have against me personally. I have a very dear fondness for squirrels, and I have taken 10,000+ pictures of them, which I store on my computer file. I would never fry them. I don't love Jesus, but I don't have any problems with those that do, so long as they are not intolerant. And it is forcing one's religion upon others when Josh Hamilton makes a kid recite Bible verses to get a game-used bat. What does that say to atheists like me? Apparently, that we are undeserving of game-used equipment. Bush keeps America safe? I don't know of a President who has made a country as great a breeding ground for terrorists as G.W. Bush has done to Iraq. Maybe Ronald Reagan, but I know you are being sarcastic, so I won't belabor the point.

When I clearly make a request not to be called by my first name, and then you put my full name in print, it is extremely disrespectful. I thought this forum was about collectors respecting other collectors, and you have done hardly that.

Vintagedeputy
08-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Perhaps you don't know the difference between anals and annals. .

I think that this whole thread started out anal and only got worse.
------------------------------------------------ why do you come here to start trouble? Can't you just collect stuff like everyone else?

If you wanted collectors to respect other collectors, you'd stop wasting our time with this nonsense.

frikativ54
08-29-2008, 05:53 PM
I've known quite a few people in my life, but I have never known anyone who believed so strongly in not believing in something.

Atheists are all around you. Many have not come out of the closet, precisely because it will lead to the very type of flaming that I have received on this board. I don't know about other newspapers, but in the Houston Chronicle, there are always stories about athletes of faith, especially Christians. But rarely do you hear about an atheist athlete. Pat Tillman and Lance Armstrong were atheist athletes.

The only thing I have asked for is respect. And it is disrespectful when Lance Berkman says that Christianity is the source of all morality. It implies that I am immoral because I don't believe as he does. The same is the case with Josh Hamilton. I don't need religion to be sober. I've never gotten drunk, gotten tattoos, or gotten high. Why I should accept Jesus in my life is just beyond me.

frikativ54
08-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Frik,

What is that telephone number under your signature? I would think if you are concerned about privacy you wouldn't put a phone number there.

I have taken my phone number out and have created a new email address. Yet few have addressed my concern about privacy and GUU.

TFig27
08-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Atheists are all around you. Many have not come out of the closet, precisely because it will lead to the very type of flaming that I have received on this board. I don't know about other newspapers, but in the Houston Chronicle, there are always stories about athletes of faith, especially Christians. But rarely do you hear about an atheist athlete. Pat Tillman and Lance Armstrong were atheist athletes.

The only thing I have asked for is respect. And it is disrespectful when Lance Berkman says that Christianity is the source of all morality. It implies that I am immoral because I don't believe as he does. The same is the case with Josh Hamilton. I don't need religion to be sober. I've never gotten drunk, gotten tattoos, or gotten high. Why I should accept Jesus in my life is just beyond me.

I didn't know they stay in the closet too. It must be getting pretty packed in there. If you are so strong in your beliefs, then stop worrying what a baseball player says. I don't see how that affects you at all. I don't care about what you think and I don't want you to care about what I think. Accept whatever YOU want in your life.

frikativ54
08-29-2008, 06:15 PM
If you are so strong in your beliefs, then stop worrying what a baseball player says.

Honestly, I am surprised by what you say. It's not like I spend all night ruminating about Lance Berkman's religion. But when I am spending money on a collection, I don't want to collect a guy who insinuates that I am immoral if I don't believe in his God. I have never found Jeff Bagwell anywhere preaching about what he believes. I assume he is a Christian, but that doesn't really matter to me, because he has signed autographs for me without requesting that I say Bible verse.

3arod13
08-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Myself, I wish this would end. This isn't a chat room. This is a sports related and game used memorabilia forum.

This is really getting old!

frikativ54
08-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Myself, I wish this would end. This isn't a chat room. This is a sports related and game used memorabilia forum.

This is really getting old!

If people would have respected my wishes and listened to my original request, then this thread would have been done four pages ago. All I wanted was to be called "Frik".

3arod13
08-29-2008, 06:38 PM
If people would have respected my wishes and listened to my original request, then this thread would have been done four pages ago. All I wanted was to be called "Frik".

I think if you wouldn't cause to much negativity in this forum, people would take you more seriously and give you the respect.

b.heagy
08-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Doh ! I have Tattoos...........................

frikativ54
08-29-2008, 06:51 PM
I think if you wouldn't cause to much negativity in this forum, people would take you more seriously and give you the respect.

So what do you want me to do? I honestly post my concerns on the Game Used Forums, yet I get flamed. Maybe I was naive beforehand, but I have seen the lousy side of the business world interacting with members of this forum. In short, not everyone has had a completely positive experience on GUU. Plus, I just made a simple request regarding my name. If I would have known it would cause this much of a problem, I would have never even started this thread.

b.heagy
08-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Frik,
I respect your privacy issue. Perhaps your method could have been different. A subtle removal of your primary email and phone number and privately contact the Moderators with your concerns would probably have been more effective. Just my thoughts.

Eric
08-29-2008, 07:32 PM

Frik-

I will do you and everyone a favor and lock this thread. A suggestion- please stop looking for trouble with your posts. Enjoy this website, the hobby and the great people who are here to discuss it.

I'm sure you will disagree, but nearly every one of your posts seems to be negative and/or accusatory. Honestly, it's tiresome. I personally would appreciate it if your contributions to this forum were positive ones.

You are entitled to opinions. I disagree with people all the time, but there are ways of presenting your thoughts which perhaps might be more productive.

I am happy to answer any and all of your questions at ecky3@aol.com
Eric