PDA

View Full Version : biggest sacrifice??

markize
08-28-2008, 07:22 PM
i was wondering what is the biggest sacrifice anyone has made to continue their collection? anyone out there with 1 kidney (lol)? seriously, what is the one piece you thought you would never part with, but did? do you look back now in regret? did you ever come across that same item for sale again?

mark

geoff
08-28-2008, 11:33 PM
I lost my last GirlFriend because she wanted me to stop Collecting and Move in with her etc.That was a 6 Year Relationship and I picked Collecting over her.

frikativ54
08-28-2008, 11:39 PM
I lost my last GirlFriend because she wanted me to stop Collecting and Move in with her etc.That was a 6 Year Relationship and I picked Collecting over her.

Wow! I just don't understand people who want their significant others to stop doing what they love. Marriage is not supposed to be a straight jacket. Do others on this board have similar experiences?

kylehess10
08-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Wow! I just don't understand people who want their significant others to stop doing what they love. Marriage is not supposed to be a straight jacket. Do others on this board have similar experiences?

My ex was an a$$. She wanted me to sell everything. She was a golddigger too; she wanted me to sell a piece I had for $1,500, and she wanted me to give her HALF too. Thank god she's gone. I've been with someone new for 4 months now, and she already told me that she doesn't care if I collect it; and I even asked her, "you don't care if I collect used socks and dirty jerseys?" and she said "I don't care because you like it and I'm not gonna stop you". Talk about amazing :D

markize
08-29-2008, 05:11 AM

wow, i would have loved to seen her face when that train derailed. i bet she didnt see that coming! mark

Jags Fan Dan
08-29-2008, 06:34 AM
I agree with this. When I was about to get married, everybody told me things were "going to change". I said "They'd better not!" Luckily, they didn't, and my wife is tolerant of my collecting.

skyking26
08-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Hmmm, interesting topic. I've been married for 12 years. Wife before marriage went with me to shows and was by my side while I chased autographs. 2 kids later, did I expect that to continue? No, of course not. My collecting has always been very passionate for me. It takes alot of my time as I have a large circle of friends I communicate with.

That said, late last year I had the opportunity to buy many items from my childhood item. I was offered the opportunity to buy the whole thing, asked often why I did not, and my answer is simple - I could have financially but would probably not be married not (afterall we need to evaluate the importance of everything in life, collecting is not #1, my family is). Instead, I took a different road where the items went somewhere else and I was given the chance to buy what I wanted. A few items got away, but it went well. The bad part was hiding purchases from wife. She tripped me up a few times, still is not on board with everything, but I think ultimately she knows it was a once in a lifetime thing.

My first GU jersey was a Kingman 1975 home Mets I bought for $350 in 1988. That jersey was on my wall since then until last March, when I sold it to a longtime friend and Mets collector for $2K to fascillitate the purchase of a home 1973 Giants Kingman jersey. Do I regret it? Not really. It was quality for quality, vintage for vintage. I had the chance oddly enough to buy ANOTHER 75 Mets Kingman and turned it down, so I guess I can live with my choice. As a collector, we have to realize that you can't have it all, even though that is what we feel as our passion is always there.

There were, as I spoke of, 2 or 3 other items that got away. The 2 collectors who have the items know where I am, and I'll always be there if they decide to sell. Now, I'm just trying to figure out the best ways to showcase items. My room is full, and I have to catch the wife in a rare mood where she'll let me have another area, perhaps the office, to hang a jersey, etc. Has not happened yet.........

RK

godwulf
08-29-2008, 09:41 AM
The key to being let alone to do your collecting thing - at least in my own case - is choosing a mate who has an even more expensive hobby than your own.

My wife recently qual'ed as a Divemaster, and flies all over the World (she's in Bermuda at the moment, with my daughter) on dive trips.

We'll have been married twenty years in January, and she's never had a bad thing to say about the 800 bats, or any of the rest of it.

When you swim with sharks, I guess you don't have a lot of room to criticize how your significant other spends his money. :D

geoff
08-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah my Girlfriend now understands and asks questions about my Collecting Habits.She even lets me Display some of these Items on the Walls in our Condo.She lets me have a Corner in the BedRoom for my Game Used Stuff also.She even goes with me when I chase for Autographs sometimes but she really does not care to do that and Calls me a Stalker in a Playful way.

3arod13
08-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I think it should only become an issue when you are buying things for your collection that you can't afford, and you do anyway, and it is hurting your family financially.

It's all about choices and how you make them.

mvandor
08-29-2008, 10:22 AM
I think it should only become an issue when you are buying things for your collection that you can't afford, and you do anyway, and it is hurting your family financially.

It's all about choices and how you make them.
Agreed, collecting anything can easily become a compulsion pushing you to make poor life choices. Gotta keep it under control, like gambling, drinking, sex... :)

joelsabi
08-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Hmmm, interesting topic. I've been married for 12 years. Wife before marriage went with me to shows and was by my side while I chased autographs. 2 kids later, did I expect that to continue? No, of course not. My collecting has always been very passionate for me. It takes alot of my time as I have a large circle of friends I communicate with.

That said, late last year I had the opportunity to buy many items from my childhood item. I was offered the opportunity to buy the whole thing, asked often why I did not, and my answer is simple - I could have financially but would probably not be married not (afterall we need to evaluate the importance of everything in life, collecting is not #1, my family is). Instead, I took a different road where the items went somewhere else and I was given the chance to buy what I wanted. A few items got away, but it went well. The bad part was hiding purchases from wife. She tripped me up a few times, still is not on board with everything, but I think ultimately she knows it was a once in a lifetime thing.

My first GU jersey was a Kingman 1975 home Mets I bought for $350 in 1988. That jersey was on my wall since then until last March, when I sold it to a longtime friend and Mets collector for $2K to fascillitate the purchase of a home 1973 Giants Kingman jersey. Do I regret it? Not really. It was quality for quality, vintage for vintage. I had the chance oddly enough to buy ANOTHER 75 Mets Kingman and turned it down, so I guess I can live with my choice. As a collector, we have to realize that you can't have it all, even though that is what we feel as our passion is always there.

There were, as I spoke of, 2 or 3 other items that got away. The 2 collectors who have the items know where I am, and I'll always be there if they decide to sell. Now, I'm just trying to figure out the best ways to showcase items. My room is full, and I have to catch the wife in a rare mood where she'll let me have another area, perhaps the office, to hang a jersey, etc. Has not happened yet.........

RK

RK

You certainly have perspective in life. Collecting is not everything. There is more things in life that are important like having a family, friends, seeing you kids grow up, etc.

I also thinks its important to share with your significant other your passion for collecting before you get married too.

Good luck on the negotiation for display space.

JS

3arod13
08-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Agreed, collecting anything can easily become a compulsion pushing you to make poor life choices. Gotta keep it under control, like gambling, drinking, sex... :)

True. At 48, I can say I do make better choice. However, when I was younger and I wanted something bad enough for my collection, common sense and savng money was the farthest thing from my mind.

jonincleve
08-29-2008, 10:45 AM
in 2005 i sold some of my collection to save money for our adoption in russia. best thing i ever did, now i have a little girl to pitch to in the back yard....at 4 she has more power than duane kuiper :) the rule i made when starting to sell things was...if it was 1 of a kind i kept it...if i could get it back at a later date i sold it. i ended up selling a 1956 topps set, also i was 2 pins short of a complete 1956 topps pins set. i love those sets. in another year i will start to rebuild them, currently re-building other stuff sold. no regrets...i started collecting when i was 5-6 years old back in 1976. the fact i accumulated all my collection allowed me the ability to sell it at the right time for a great cause. my wife puts up with my collecting, doesn't understand it but she knows it brings me enjoyment.

take care
john

joelsabi
08-29-2008, 11:47 AM
my wife puts up with my collecting, doesn't understand it but she knows it brings me enjoyment.

take care
john

I have the same sentiment. My wife know its brings me enjoyment as much as it does for her when she shops. Never understood having more than 2 pairs of shoes.

frikativ54
08-29-2008, 12:07 PM
I have the same sentiment. My wife know its brings me enjoyment as much as it does for her when she shops. Never understood having more than 2 pairs of shoes.

LOL! My Mom has a closet full of shoes; I never understood this either. I have a pair of Nike Shox and that's it. Why do so many women like to shop? Personally, I hate going to the mall, unless they've got a team shop.

Rob L
08-29-2008, 12:27 PM
in 2005 i sold some of my collection to save money for our adoption in russia. best thing i ever did, now i have a little girl to pitch to in the back yard....at 4 she has more power than duane kuiper :) the rule i made when starting to sell things was...if it was 1 of a kind i kept it...if i could get it back at a later date i sold it. i ended up selling a 1956 topps set, also i was 2 pins short of a complete 1956 topps pins set. i love those sets. in another year i will start to rebuild them, currently re-building other stuff sold. no regrets...i started collecting when i was 5-6 years old back in 1976. the fact i accumulated all my collection allowed me the ability to sell it at the right time for a great cause. my wife puts up with my collecting, doesn't understand it but she knows it brings me enjoyment.

take care
john

John, No sacrifice there. That's awesome.

joelsabi
08-29-2008, 12:33 PM
John, No sacrifice there. That's awesome.

I had difficulty locating the sacrifice too.

skyking26
08-29-2008, 01:35 PM

take care
john
What a beautiful little girl. A win-win situation all the way around!

skyking26
08-29-2008, 01:38 PM
RK

You certainly have perspective in life. Collecting is not everything. There is more things in life that are important like having a family, friends, seeing you kids grow up, etc.

I also thinks its important to share with your significant other your passion for collecting before you get married too.

Good luck on the negotiation for display space.

JS
Thanks Joe. My kids are 7 and 11 now. The eldest, a son, has shown interest in the collection. I've grazed the subject that there are a number of things I'd like both kids to keep and hand down after I kick off. Hopefully they will listen.

geoff
08-29-2008, 04:07 PM
This is also why just recently instead of Buying Items I also have been trying to make some Trades.I am always willing to pull a trade to add to my Collection.

Thanks
Geoff

skyking26
08-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Trades are near impossible to do. Especially when you are talking GU stuff. I've tried to trade with different people as well as have been offered a trade for different pieces - but I find it is difficult for everybody to agree on the value of their item...

Fnazxc0114
08-30-2008, 02:33 PM
i really havent sacreficed much when it comes to collecting. my wife of four years gives me a hard time about it sometimes in a joking manner. the only rule she has given me for the moment is no more bats until i get a bat rack made for the game room. the funny thing is is i have a whole garage full of tools and power equipment and no earthly idea on how to use them. in the last month i have found something else to take up my time and money and that is a local homeless shelter. i live in a pretty affluent area and was surprised to find one in my town. so more money has been going to them as opposed to buying bats/jerseys. my wife and i were able to provide school clothes for the first day of school for over 30 kids this year. this is something we plan on making into a tradition. i still plan on spending money on my g/u addiction but it doesnt give me the same excitement as helping other people.

markize
08-30-2008, 02:50 PM
i really havent sacreficed much when it comes to collecting. my wife of four years gives me a hard time about it sometimes in a joking manner. the only rule she has given me for the moment is no more bats until i get a bat rack made for the game room. the funny thing is is i have a whole garage full of tools and power equipment and no earthly idea on how to use them. in the last month i have found something else to take up my time and money and that is a local homeless shelter. i live in a pretty affluent area and was surprised to find one in my town. so more money has been going to them as opposed to buying bats/jerseys. my wife and i were able to provide school clothes for the first day of school for over 30 kids this year. this is something we plan on making into a tradition. i still plan on spending money on my g/u addiction but it doesnt give me the same excitement as helping other people.

wow! from a psychology standpoint, it looks like you have reached self-autualization status. very cool! having spent some time working at a local food bank myself, it gives you a new respect for how others live. with regards to your "problem" with having tools, but not knowing how to use them.........get some scrap wood, etc and practice.....especially if the wife is giving you the green light! you would be suprised that pluging them in can be the toughest part, but as a carpenter it's something i enjoy.

mark

Fnazxc0114
08-30-2008, 03:43 PM
my awakening came after reading a book called same kind of different as me. you should check it out its a great story. i will probably wait till it cools down here in texas to get in the garage and fire up the tools. i saw a kid cut off the tip of his finger in 8th grade shop. since then i have been leary of the blade. in 05 i asked for this stuff for christmas and got a lot more than i bargained for.

Nathan
08-31-2008, 12:09 AM
in 2005 i sold some of my collection to save money for our adoption in russia. best thing i ever did, now i have a little girl to pitch to in the back yard....at 4 she has more power than duane kuiper :)

Does she have any home run balls yet? I'm having a hell of a time matching my collecting goal (the one in my signature).

MRMusial
08-31-2008, 12:13 AM
in 2005 i sold some of my collection to save money for our adoption in russia. best thing i ever did, now i have a little girl to pitch to in the back yard....at 4 she has more power than duane kuiper

Same here and I've gotta agree, John, best thing we ever did too ... twice. We adopted from Belarus in 2003 and from Russia in 2006. I'm broke, but happy... :D My 5 year-old is more of a line drive hitter who hits for average but with some pop. Maybe it was her new surname, who knows? The 3 year-old is more akin to Max Patkin.

I've had to scale back collecting so I need to be more selective now and always love a deal. If the wallet were only as big as the eyes....

Mike

jonincleve
08-31-2008, 03:29 PM
nathan, sorry no kuiper home run baseballs...i heard they marked his home run baseball with a '*' he was juicing with too much orange juice that day :)

mike very cool, we have thought about another child but currently have a handfull. send me an email if you get a chance jonincleve@sbcglobal.net

take care
john

www.jfkcollectibles.net

Rob L
08-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Mike and John,

Kudos to both of you. Like I said earlier, I don't see the sacrifice. Both of your kids are adorable.

Take care.