PDA

View Full Version : Sharpie Removal

thomecollector
08-29-2008, 06:25 PM
I picked up a pair of cleats the other day. I was wondering if anybody knows how to remove a personalization ? Any thoughts ? Lmk. Thanks,Roger :confused:

Fnazxc0114
08-29-2008, 10:33 PM
is the sig on the leather? where is the sig on the shoe.

thomecollector
08-30-2008, 08:46 AM
The sig is on on the leather. The top of the toe. Thanks.

59FIFTY
08-30-2008, 10:39 AM
You could use some soap and one of the green sponge's it will look a little bit scuffed but you won't notice it if you don't apply to mutch pressure.

Those green sponges are usually for scrubbing kitchens;)

34swtns
08-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Uuhhh, no........BIG negative on the green sponge.

Use a little "Goof-Off" on a paper towel. If it requires enough scrubbing that it starts to remove the shine from the leather, simply apply some weatherproofing wax from any shoe repair shop.
Also note that if the marker has permeated the leather, no amount of scrubbing will remove it. So test your "Goof-Off" on a portion of the sig and if there's a faint purple stain left where the marker was it's probably not going to come out completely. Then your only option would be to match the color of the leaher with some shoe polish and basically "paint" over the top of the stain.

kingjammy24
12-22-2008, 06:29 PM
has anyone ever successfully removed a sharpie/paint pen autograph from a batting helmet?

i've searched previous threads and all of the autograph removal threads seem to deal with bats or jerseys.

i'd think a helmet would be easier given that the autograph hasn't absorbed into any grains or fabric.

what works? olive oil? goo gone?

thanks,

rudy.

otismalibu
12-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Belt sander.

Ozric
12-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Cologne with a Q-Tip... Sounds funny, but it has worked for me on a ton of stuff that has a glossy type surface.

kingjammy24
12-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Cologne with a Q-Tip... Sounds funny, but it has worked for me on a ton of stuff that has a glossy type surface.

i'm guessing it's the alcohol in the cologne that does it. rubbing alcohol maybe then? hmm.

thanks for the suggestion.

rudy.

both-teams-played-hard
12-22-2008, 07:24 PM
There's something autograph pimps use to remove personalizations on 8x10 glossies for re-sell...can't remember the name...household product I think. Can someone jog my memory?

VALAIKA COLLECTOR
12-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Goo Gone has worked for me.

kingjammy24
12-22-2008, 07:30 PM
stuff i found re: sharpie removal:

"Since the ink is based on propanol, butanol and diacetone alcohols, rubbing alcohol will remove permanent ink writing.."

i've seen various compounds suggested but the thing they all have in common is alcohol so that's probably the thing that does it.

i'm also hearing that one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers might work well.

rudy.

camarokids
12-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Olive Oil will remove silver and gold ink pens from bats and batting helmets.

On bats use a no. 2 pencil eraser then a soft cloth, on the helmet you should just be able to use a soft cloth.

joelsabi
12-22-2008, 09:20 PM
what works for taking gold sharpie paint from a fielding glove?

kingjammy24
12-22-2008, 09:36 PM
okey dokey, i just used some goo gone and it worked perfectly. beautiful job with no side effects.

i didn't have any rubbing alcohol or a magic eraser in the house so i'm not sure how those would've worked. however, for removing gold sharpie from plastic, goo gone is great.

i guess i could've also tried some olive oil. but i didn't. just went straight for the goo gone.

note: there's goo gone and goo off. i used goo gone and i understand the 2 are different.

rudy.

VALAIKA COLLECTOR
12-22-2008, 09:38 PM
okey dokey, i just used some goo gone and it worked perfectly. beautiful job with no side effects.

i didn't have any rubbing alcohol or a magic eraser in the house so i'm not sure how those would've worked. however, for removing gold sharpie from plastic, goo gone is great.

i guess i could've also tried some olive oil. but i didn't. just went straight for the goo gone.

note: there's goo gone and goo off. i used goo gone and i understand the 2 are different.

rudy.

Goo Gone has never let me down, glad to see it worked for ya.

camarokids
12-22-2008, 10:01 PM
what works for taking gold sharpie paint from a fielding glove?

Olive Oil will remove silver and gold ink pens from fielding gloves as well.

Is the gold sharpie permanent ink? Is the gold sharpie the same as the gold and silver ink pens???? If so, Olive Oil will work, just use a soft cloth or Q-tip so you don't scratch the leather.

I had to remove some silver ink from my Seth McClung Rawlings glove due to smearing. I used a q-tip and just removed the smearing and preserved the autograph......

Here is a older thread on removing autographs.....

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=6581&page=3

Jays1fan
12-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Hey Rudy , DId you take the Rob Butler auto off that Helmet you got from me ? Did it end up being a Manny Lee Helmet ?
Scott

kingjammy24
12-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey Rudy , DId you take the Rob Butler auto off that Helmet you got from me ? Did it end up being a Manny Lee Helmet ?
Scott

i did indeed take the auto off. i just don't like game-used items with autographs. they weren't on the field with autographs on 'em. i like them in their original state.

did i "make it into a manny lee"? haha no. i think it was a butler all along because of the style of the back stickers. lee left in '93. a '91 would've had the desert storm stickers. i think in '92 they used 2 separate stickers for the MLB and the ABC logos. this has 1 sticker for both which i think began in '93. '94 likely would've had the little MLB 125 sticker.

rudy.

Jays1fan
12-23-2008, 04:16 PM
i did indeed take the auto off. i just don't like game-used items with autographs. they weren't on the field with autographs on 'em. i like them in their original state.

did i "make it into a manny lee"? haha no. i think it was a butler all along because of the style of the back stickers. lee left in '93. a '91 would've had the desert storm stickers. i think in '92 they used 2 separate stickers for the MLB and the ABC logos. this has 1 sticker for both which i think began in '93. '94 likely would've had the little MLB 125 sticker.

rudy.

Good Point on the Auto. I do like the Game Used Baseballs Signed , but I am a Jays auto collector too, so I guess I dont mind as much if the Game Used item came that way.
Glad you like the Helmet. Have a Great Christmas !
Scott

aeneas01
12-23-2008, 04:40 PM
helmets are injection molded products that incorporate releasing agents (lubricants) which keeps the plastic from binding to the mold, i.e. the lubricant allows the helmet to release cleanly. the thing is, the releasing agents also absorb into the plastic shell making painting, application of decals, etc. problematic unless the helmet is thoroughly prepped after it leaves the factory. consequently it's not surprising that ink (sigs) can be easily removed.

gamer35
01-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Rudy,
Did you do anything to rid the helmet of the Goo gone smell? I have removed an auto from a pair of autographed cleats but unfortunately the smell of the goo-gone is still quite strong.

kingjammy24
01-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Rudy,
Did you do anything to rid the helmet of the Goo gone smell? I have removed an auto from a pair of autographed cleats but unfortunately the smell of the goo-gone is still quite strong.

of course. goo gone itself smells and is oily. couldn't leave that on the helmet. after i goo gone'd the signature off, i cleaned off the goo gone residue with a very damp cloth and dried it. it's oily so it'll take a little effort to completely remove with water/damp cloth but you'll get it after a few tries. a damp cloth should work fine on cleats. don't use just a dry cloth because i imagine that'll just end up smearing the goo gone all over without actually removing it.

rudy.

otismalibu
01-03-2009, 03:42 PM

You didn't happen to use Goof Off, rather than Goo Gone? Goof Off is very strong and leaves a strong smell.

gamer35
01-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the help, Rudy.

Otis, I did use Goo gone but there is still quite a noticable smell. I will try the damp cloth and see if it helps.

Sheffield11
04-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Hi, I am about to buy a pair of game used signed batting gloves with faded autos, and I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas on how to remove the autos. The gloves are white, signed in blue sharpie. Thanks for the help.

eisenreich8
04-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Look online for a product called Ink-Away. We discussed it recently on here to remove Sharpie from jerseys (it works great). It should be safe for a batting glove too. Good luck.

Sheffield11
04-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Which product (ink away or amodex) do you guys think would work better on the top on a batting glove?

Manram
08-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Do any of you guys know how to remove Sharpie from a helmet?

cordovacollector
08-04-2009, 10:40 PM
What color Sharpie? And what color helmet?

Manram
08-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Silver Sharpie from a Green helmet

camarokids
08-05-2009, 10:17 AM
That is easy, use a soft clothe and virgin olive oil..... Olive Oil will also remove gold and silver pens from fielding gloves and bats.....

Here are some older threads that are related to your question.....

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=6581&page=3

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=21564&highlight=removing+silver+ink

camarokids
08-05-2009, 10:19 AM
That is easy, use a soft clothe and virgin olive oil..... Olive Oil will also remove gold and silver pens from fielding gloves and bats....

Meant to say will remove from bats and gloves as well as helmets.....

Manram
08-05-2009, 11:12 AM
By doing this do you remove any paint from the helmet?

camarokids
08-05-2009, 11:23 AM
By doing this do you remove any paint from the helmet?

No not at all.....

If you read the other threads, you will see where I tested olive oil removing silver sharpie on numerous types of plastics. Just use a soft clothe and you will be fine.....

If you want? test on any plastic surface, write on something with a silver sharpie then remove it....... I did and it worked fine.....

Olive oil will can also be used to "shine up" baseball bats, I just used it on a 1920's JC Higgans bat I found at a Antique Store. The olive oil really brought out the natural patina of the wood and took away the dull look it had. Just like putting skin lotion on your hands and feet.

Manram
08-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks huge help

mdube16
08-05-2009, 05:16 PM
A Chic eraser works too

grenda12
08-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Maybe someone should start a post that contains secrets on how to remove autographs, sharpie, etc from certain items.

gameused
09-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Has anyone tried a dry erase marker to remove silver sharpie ink on a black bat barrel? Wanted to know the results.

Thanks, Bobby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD-MJ-nF55M

dwn1955
03-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Has anyone here had any experience or luck removing Sharpie writing from a polyester jersey?

allstarsplus
03-20-2010, 07:34 PM
If it is on the white fabric you can look at MarkFD's post about removing a blue Sharpie screwup sig with a bleach pen!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark put up before and after photos!!!!!!!!

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=33649&highlight=desmond+ian

kings418
03-21-2010, 02:28 AM
I have a great success with Spot Shot. Some autos come off very quickly, others take a little time and patience.

Vince

dwn1955
03-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks for your replies, I imagine a black sharpie will take alittle more effort. Will this harm the material or fade a pinstripe right next to what a person wants to remove?

Manram
05-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Is there any way to remove an autograph from a ball. Specifically if the autograph is in black sharpie

island_style
05-23-2010, 05:02 AM
Has anyone tried to remove a personalization or signature from the number on the back of a jersey? The material is that satin-type that is commonplace on today's baseball jerseys. It is a black personalization on a white number.

I checked the thread, but I didn't see anything about removing Sharpie ink from a number on the jersey.

Goo Gone? Nail polish remover? Ink Away? Bleach pen?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

eisenreich8
05-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Hi Ron,

I used Ink-Away on fabric and the Sharpie ink just vaporizes, really nice to see it happen. It doesn't just spread the ink stain,or wash it further down into the material, it makes it just vanish. I would prefer this on a number sewn on as well as polyester over Goo Gone or something similar that may leave an oily residue.

Also, I would go ahead and launder the item on a gentle cycle to rinse out any residue. No detergent needed. Good luck!

island_style
05-25-2010, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the Ink Away recommendation for the Sharpie personalization on a number. I've searched a few places and haven't been able to find it yet. I'll post the results after I've tried it.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

hockeytigers
05-25-2010, 06:20 AM
You can buy it at www.jondon.com (http://www.jondon.com)