PDA

View Full Version : yankees jersey question

ferro39
09-01-2008, 04:02 PM
ive been collecting hockey for a while now, but recently got into baseball and was hoping a yankees expert would be able to answer some questions

anyhoo, i picked up a 1990 yankees road jersey on ebay over the weekend with the martin #1 on the sleeve.

what i know is that it's tagged "garcia 90 2" in the neck, is a #17 and it's size 44.

damaso garcia was signed in the offseason and was cut in early april before the regular season started. he obviously wore the number in the spring and this jersey was prepared for him. however, the only player to wear that # during the regular season was claudell washington, who was traded for in late april.

would the yanks have prepared set 2 jerseys before the team even broke north for the season and before the final roster was even set?

the loa is also kinda vague and from what ive been reading on here, they're not always gospel. it reads "game worn road jersey (tagged garcia)," but seeing as how garcia couldnt have possibly worn a set 2 for the yankees in 1990, im assuming that this could only have been worn by washington.

am i right with this assumption? does anyone know if washington wore a 44?

thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide...and i also look forward to contributing here.

cheers,
philip

ferro39
09-05-2008, 07:09 PM
jersey arrived today

shows definite use in the collar with sweat stains and what looks like blood

no yankee experts have anything to add here?

costas
09-05-2008, 07:17 PM
how does it smell?

trsent
09-05-2008, 07:24 PM
ive been collecting hockey for a while now, but recently got into baseball and was hoping a yankees expert would be able to answer some questions

anyhoo, i picked up a 1990 yankees road jersey on ebay over the weekend with the martin #1 on the sleeve.

what i know is that it's tagged "garcia 90 2" in the neck, is a #17 and it's size 44.

damaso garcia was signed in the offseason and was cut in early april before the regular season started. he obviously wore the number in the spring and this jersey was prepared for him. however, the only player to wear that # during the regular season was claudell washington, who was traded for in late april.

would the yanks have prepared set 2 jerseys before the team even broke north for the season and before the final roster was even set?

the loa is also kinda vague and from what ive been reading on here, they're not always gospel. it reads "game worn road jersey (tagged garcia)," but seeing as how garcia couldnt have possibly worn a set 2 for the yankees in 1990, im assuming that this could only have been worn by washington.

am i right with this assumption? does anyone know if washington wore a 44?

thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide...and i also look forward to contributing here.

cheers,
philip

Phillip, what happens is the team would tag jerseys for whatever reason and could wear Set 1 first, or Set 2 first, or even Set 4 first. They do not care about an order, espically back then, like we care about it now.

Did this jersey come from Steiner? If so, it may be misrepresented as it has been found they do basic work, but sometimes do not properly label all jerseys as even The Yankees do not know who wore every jersey.

ferro39
09-05-2008, 08:30 PM
it is a steiner jersey...when i said sweat stains, i meant yellowing

like i said, the letter specifically reads "worn," however, it does not specify a player--just says "tagged garcia"

garcia only played with the team in the spring and claudell washington was the only player to wear the # in the regular season

kingjammy24
09-05-2008, 09:49 PM
despite being tagged with garcia's name, it's very possible that washington wore it. i've seen instances of the yankees recycling jerseys for years and years from player to player where the original tagging would still be intact and never removed or revised.

see here: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=802

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=723

rudy.

ferro39
09-05-2008, 10:16 PM
thanks for the help, guys

well, it is tagged as 1990 and the martin #1 remains intact on the sleeve, so at the very least, the jersey was last worn in 1990.

i know the yanks wear the pinstripes for the first spring training game, but did they wear the the grays during the spring back then?

if not, i guess id have my answer for sure

DonFan23
09-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Martin died on Chritsmas Day of 1989, so the #1 on the sleeve was worn in spring training as well as during the regular season.

And at that time I do believe that the Yankees were still wearing home and road jerseys throughout the spring, so it is possible that this was a spring jersey used by Garcia, and it may have stopped there.

However the Yanks were also notorious for recycling jerseys, and it's certainly possible that it was re-issued to Claudell Washington. I'm not familiar with his sizing history, but he was very slender and so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he used it as well.

RJB44
09-08-2008, 08:59 PM
I owned a 1989 Claudell Washington Angels Jersey, and it was a size 44, with extra length.