PDA

View Full Version : chargers helmet on ebay

kings418
09-01-2008, 09:36 PM
I am looking to buy my first football helmet, and a chargers helmet is one of the 4 or 5 teams I would like to own. Does anybody have any input on this one, does it seem legit ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SAN-DIEGO-CHARGERS-GAME-USED-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ170257741166QQihZ007QQcategoryZ868 28QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,
Vince

aeneas01
09-02-2008, 03:28 AM
the ebay helmet you linked to was part of a 3 helmet set that was auctioned off at grey flannel recently. the set, all 3 helmets, sold for $360 plus fees:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/xx.jpg

is it an authentic gamer? imo there's a lot to like about it and from the photos alone i would say it's the real deal. however i'm not sure it could have belonged to spencer given that by the time he joined the bolts in '85 i'm pretty sure that san diego had changed from the solid yellow back numbers to outlined numbers. it would be nice if the helmet for sale sported a front "chargers" decal as can be seen on the left but it wasn't uncommon for sd game helmets to be missing this decal during that era. you should contact the seller and ask him for the manufacturing date of the helmet which can be found stamped on the inside of the shell...

btw if you are new to helmet collecting and are interested in some wonderful authentic gamers, you should seriously consider posting your wants in the "items wanted" section of this forum - i guarantee you that forum members own the finest game used helmets in circulation. whether they want to part with them is something you need to find out for yourself!

Eric
09-02-2008, 11:52 AM
I haven't seen any of the date stamping, but i'd predict this is a 1983 bob gregor helmet. He played safety for the bolts from 81-84. like aeneas said, you'd like to see a yellow or blue chargers sticker on it. that would help date the piece BUT that by no means disqualifies it from being the real thing.

Here's a pic of Linden king from '83 with no sticker...

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/80289187.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1933B836CAF14D5D5C8B183B8260ADD0D9D 4854FFF91D748C6E

kings418
09-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the info. guys. Maybe until I become a little more educated on game used helmets, I should stick to buying off this forum. Thanks again for the input and advice.

Vince

Larry Pelliccioni
09-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Hello Vince,
For what it's worth, Robert who has posted above and provided you with some very solid information is one of the most respected and liked individuals on this forum.
You are not like to encounter a friendlier and more knowledgable person in the hobby when it comes to helmets.
His attention to detail is wonderful and he is solid about sharing it with anyone who asks.
Trust is critical so while you do right to be cautious, don't prevent that from buying what you and others may try to sell you.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Larry Pelliccioni

DrJ
09-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Here are a couple of photos from a helmet of mine showing the numbers Aeneas refers too (yellow outlined by white) and the decal Eric refers too, in this case blue as this helmet is from 86/87 time period.