PDA

View Full Version : Bo Jackson bat prices

sylbry
09-03-2008, 08:02 AM
What happened to the prices of Bo Jackson game used bats? Two years ago you could easily pick up a gamer in the $150 to $200 range. Heck, I once picked one up for $20 a couple of years ago. Now you need to shell out $500 if you can ever find one for sale. Where did this price spike come from?

And for that matter where have all of the good bats gone? Two years ago you could easily find bats of Hall of Famers such as Puckett, Winfield, Boggs, Molitor, Rickey Henderson, ect... in the $250 to $350 range. Now you can't find anything.

Vintagedeputy
09-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Stars of the 80's are popular right now. I've noticed that trend.

89ASMVPBats
09-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Sylbry:

I must admit that as a Bo Jackson bat collector the increased prices are more than a bit frustrating. Just last year I picked up a Bo Jackson Worth bat, later authenticated by John Taube, for $150. I was also able to pick up a few other Bo bats last year for around $300 a piece.

Something has changed. The Bo Jackson bat that sold on eBay last night, which I assume precipitated this post, went for just under $500 with light use (according to the description) and knob and barrell markings that seemed a bit odd to me. A few months back I lost out on a Jackson Rawlings bat that went for north of $600!

I too am confused about where all of the Bo Jackson gamers have gone. I know that his career was brief, but there have to be more bats out there.

If you, or anyone else reading this post, have any Jackson bats that you are looking to move, I would be very interested.

Drew
eighty9asmvpbats@yahoo.com

sylbry
09-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi Drew,

Yes, it was the bat Shane had for sale that ended last night the prompted this comment. Based on the use and the interesting knob and barrel markings I figured it would be a $250 bat at most in this market. I was prepared to pay $400 because I really wanted that inscription but actually cancelled my snipe with 10 minutes remaining after seeing the bidding activity.

I can think of three Bo gamers that have sold on ebay over this past year and all have been in the $500 to $600 range. (There was a LS BO16 that nearly topped $600 too, if my memory serves me correctly.)

Where are these bidders coming from and why are they pushing the prices up so much? It isn't like Bo is a Hall of Famer. And where will it end? Will he be up there with Mattingly in a few years? For comparison's sake Shane also sold a Will Clark bat that ended last night in the low $100's. Will wasn't a cult icon like Bo but was nearly as popular in the same era.

And speaking of that knob did it look like the number 34 was written and BO was written over that?

Glad I don't collect Bo gamers. It is a tough market. Best of luck to you Drew.

Bryan

89ASMVPBats
09-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Bryan,

The knob did appear to have "BO" written over what used to be a "34," and the "BO" together with his Royals #16 just didn't look right to me. I too set a final bid of around $400 because I would like to add a 1990 LS to my collection.

Drew

eighty9asmvpbats@yahoo.com