PDA

View Full Version : 1955 Dodgers Jerseys on Ebay

ikovalchuk17
09-06-2008, 10:13 AM
What do you guys think of these 1955 Dodgers jerseys on ebay:

Ebay Link (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=32&from=R40&satitle=1955+dodgers+jersey+used&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=90071&sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search)

Thanks

FastLane80
09-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Every Dodgers jersey I've seen from the 40s through the 60s have the year embroidered into the jersey. Salesman sample maybe? In the description, it says they don't know what it is but it is "used". I guess if you buy a jersey at a store, wear it to a game and squirt ketchup on it, technically it's "used".

both-teams-played-hard
09-06-2008, 10:47 PM
These jerseys are real or damn crafty forgeries. Salesman samples are strictly OUT of the question, Store boughts are an impossibility. A forger would surely make a J. Robinson or Campy or something. A lot of work to forge semi-stars. I think the lack of posts mean that these shirts could be real and potential buyers are waiting in the wings. The chain-stitching looks good from the era. The Wilson tags are from the mid 50s. If you were dishonest, wouldn't you go ahead and cash in on a Jackie? Did Wilson make 1950s Dodger flannels?

hondotwigfan
09-08-2008, 07:51 AM
If memory serves me... These jerseys were part of a 'find' 15 or so years ago. They allegedly came from a former coaches house (Greg Mulleavy I think) and were found in a duffel bag by his wife/widow. They are not legitimate Brooklyn jerseys. Look at the Wilson tag. They look like they were 'copied' on a copier. The stitching in the embroidered tags is like nothing else you'll see on a Wilson.

I may be wrong... but somewhere there's probably an old Sports Collector's Digest around to back this up.

trsent
09-08-2008, 02:08 PM
If memory serves me... These jerseys were part of a 'find' 15 or so years ago. They allegedly came from a former coaches house (Greg Mulleavy I think) and were found in a duffel bag by his wife/widow. They are not legitimate Brooklyn jerseys. Look at the Wilson tag. They look like they were 'copied' on a copier. The stitching in the embroidered tags is like nothing else you'll see on a Wilson.

I may be wrong... but somewhere there's probably an old Sports Collector's Digest around to back this up.

I received an email from a friend who is an authenticator who I asked to look at these jerseys and he agreed with the comments above. He said the jerseys would need to be inspected in person, but he believes the material, length of the jerseys and cut of the lettering is all wrong.