PDA

View Full Version : 1994 NFL 75th patches...

dafivehole
09-09-2008, 06:23 AM
I thought I read a post stating that the "real" patches had a name embroidered on the "7" on the patch... something like "Hess." Am I smoking crack here guys?!? Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,
Roger

RKGIBSON
09-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Here is a real one.

Roger

dafivehole
09-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks Roger... along the bottom half of the "7" there is supposed to be a name that is pretty legible (in the same red thread)... I can't see it on your pic.

Roger

CollectGU
09-09-2008, 08:33 AM
I believe it is the letters HAY that are sewn into the seven vertically downward. I don't know what they stand for...

Regards,
Dave

Eric
09-09-2008, 09:11 AM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/ecky3/Game%20Used%20Collection/Football/Other%20Chargers%20Throwbacks/HPIM2189.jpg?t=1220969460

RKGIBSON
09-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Here is a couple others that I have. I have not seen what you are talking about. I examined the ones that I posted with a magnifing glass and see nothing like your talking about.

I was told there some differences in the patches that were on authentic jerseys. I was thinking they had the years on them?

Roger

b.heagy
09-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Roger,
I can see it on both your patches. It's there.

dafivehole
09-09-2008, 12:45 PM
I was gonna say the same thing... you can see it on both patches you listed.

Thanks,
Roger (the other one)

Aloving77
09-09-2008, 02:05 PM
I did my best to show where the letters are. Sorry for the slopiness, but look at this one and then go back and look at the other pictures and you'll be able to see it.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u296/aloving77/Slater94patch.jpg

jppopma
09-09-2008, 03:14 PM
I ran to check mine and both of the ones that I have with 75th patches on them have the HAV. I'm always a little worried when I read these things that I may find something wrong..but I'm good here.

Does anyone know if the non-game worn ones do not have this on the patch? I love learning these little minor things to differentiate the real deal from some store jersey. Thanks.

halzeus
09-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Here is a thread from another forum I read.

http://nextleveltalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6907&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=the+word+hay

RKGIBSON
09-09-2008, 06:31 PM
I was looking for something stitched real small in black or white. It is there if you get it in the right light. This is the one on my Sanders jersey. Takes a critical eye to pick up on that. Thanks, I learned something.

Roger

gatorcollector
09-09-2008, 08:08 PM
I found it on my Trace Armstrong jersey. I had no idea that was there!

34swtns
09-09-2008, 10:49 PM
The fakes are generally missing the "HAY" stitching, and there are a lot of them out there. A lot of the questionable patches can even be found on Mitchell and Ness' throwback jerseys.

smallpapi
09-10-2008, 08:03 AM
I thought it was a tribute to Ralph Hay possibly the person who started and created what the NFL is today?

RKGIBSON
09-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Here are some pics of the stitching of each of the patches.
The white Packer jersey is sew with dark green thread and a zigzag stitch.
The yellow Ram alternate jersey is sew with black and a zigzag stitch.
The white Lion jersey appears to be hand sew with black. This is Barry Sanders jersey that had a lot of modifications.

Roger

Nathan
09-10-2008, 03:10 PM
I thought it was a tribute to Ralph Hay possibly the person who started and created what the NFL is today?

That would be my guess. Hay was the owner of the Canton Bulldogs, and it was in his Hupmobile dealership that the formation meeting of the NFL was held.

And just think...that's the only reason most people who aren't vintage car nuts have ever heard of Hupmobile.

kudu
11-13-2009, 03:00 PM
I have a 1993 Chargers jersey from a player that played for that season only, and it has the 75th patch on it. The patch has the "HAY" stitching. Is it possible they added the patch on after the fact?

Dave4Reds
11-13-2009, 11:11 PM
This is NOT a gamer...but I think I see something there. Am I imagining it?

CampWest
11-15-2009, 10:28 AM
I have an Authentic Pro Line jersey, purchased in 1994, that shows the same markings. My jersey is not game issued or game worn, but it is supposed to be same as a game issued, except for some tagging and sizing.

Not sure if that helps anything other than to say, the letters are not exclusive to player issued jerseys as it also appears on Authentic jerseys.

G1X
11-16-2009, 09:48 PM
kudu,

You indicated that you have a 1993 Chargers jersey with the 75th patch worn by a player who was with the team only in 1993. Please let me know who the player is and I might be able to assist.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

kudu
11-17-2009, 12:27 AM
kudu,

You indicated that you have a 1993 Chargers jersey with the 75th patch worn by a player who was with the team only in 1993. Please let me know who the player is and I might be able to assist.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Hey Mark,

Terry Crews is the guy. Thanks!

Kurt

G1X
11-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Kurt,

Terry Crews was with the Chargers in the preseason of 1994 before being released on August 29. It is not unusual for teams to "recycle" jerseys from one year to the next (especially in that era), so that could be the reason for the NFL 75th patch being on a 1993 tagged jersey.

HOWEVER, the Chargers used Russell in 1993 and switched to Starter in 1994 on their home and road jerseys. To confuse matters, they used Russell for their "throwback" jerseys they wore in 1994 (home and road). And to further confuse matters, it appears that the Chargers were still wearing Russell jerseys in the opener at Denver (Chargers wore white that day).

What some teams would do using "recycled" jerseys during a year when they switched suppliers was to remove (or hide) the logo from the sleeves of the recycled jerseys (such as the Russell "R"). That appears to be the case with the Chargers in the Broncos game. I do not have any photos from any of the preseason games to confirm if they were still wearing Russell jerseys in the 1994 preseason. Perhaps a Chargers collector such as Eric can comment.

I am making the assumption that your jersey is a Russell. If so, is the Russell "R" logo on at least one of the sleeves? If not, is their evidence that it has been removed, or else tucked and hemmed underneath the sleeve?

By the way, Terry Crews is now an actor and has been in many movies over the past decade!

I hope this information is helpful.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

kudu
11-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Wow, great info Mark! Yes, its a Russell and looks like logo was removed on left sleeve. He is a hilarious actor, which makes the jersey even more special. Thanks Mark!