PDA

View Full Version : MLB Still Working on Maple Issues...

bigtruck260
09-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Now it is a question of quality control, something the owner of SAM bats has been telling us all along.

From CNN/SI:

MLB discussing quality control with maple bat manufacturers

Story Highlights

MLB has collected 1,700 broken bats over the past 2 1/2 months
MLB can't ban maple bats because their use is subject to the CBA

setActiveStyleSheet( CNN_FONT_COOKIE ? CNN_FONT_COOKIE : null );
var dartval = "baseball_mlb"; var re_teams = /(\/+baseball\/+mlb\/+teams((\/)*|\/+index\.html.*))$/; if (window.location.toString().search(re_teams) > -1) dartval += "/team"; document.cnnAdInterstitial = ( document.cnnAdInterstitial == undefined ? "ist" : "" ); document.cnnAdTile = (document.cnnAdTile||0) + 1; document.cnnAdRandom = document.cnnAdRandom || Math.ceil(1+1E12*Math.random()); cnnad_createAd( dartval, "spt=baseball_mlb;", 300, 250 );http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/3475.si/baseball_mlb/;spt=baseball_mlb;dcove=d;sz=300x250;? (http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/3475.si/baseball_mlb/;spt=baseball_mlb;dcove=d;sz=300x250;?)
adsonar_placementId=1292987;adsonar_pid=769769;ads onar_ps=-1;adsonar_zw=300;adsonar_zh=175;cnnad_createSL();

NEW YORK (AP) -- After collecting more than 1,700 broken bats over 21/2 months, Major League Baseball officials have started meeting with manufacturers to discuss quality control.
Although commissioner Bud Selig has expressed concern over the increase in broken bats among maple models, no action has been taken. He can't ban maple bats unilaterally because their use is subject to collective bargaining.
MLB's safety and health advisory committee, which includes players' union officials, said on Tuesday it collected every broken bat from July 2 through Sunday and compiled "its manufacturer, the model, its dimensions, the situation of the game when it was broken, the area in which the bat fragments landed, and video footage from MLB.com."
Baseball retained the USDA Forest Service's Forest Products Laboratory; the wood-testing agency Timberco Inc.; Harvard University professor Carl Morris and University of Massachusetts-Lowell professor James Sherwood to analyze data and design tests.
MLB said the committee hopes to make recommendations.

Chris78
09-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I wonder if the teams will start selling more bats again. The Phillies have not sold them at the game used stand since I was there on July 7th. I attended one game in August and another one recently on September 8th and they still did not have any bats for sale.

Chris

David
09-14-2008, 03:45 PM
I had read that quality maple can make safe bats, but the demand for maple bats, and thus the number of maple bats being made to meet the demand, is far higher than the amount of quality maple available. A bat manufacturer stated that he felt that a lot of the bats were being made from what he would consider lesser quality maple.