PDA

View Full Version : Ocho Cinco Costs Mucho Dinero!

metsbats
09-10-2008, 10:08 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/It-ll-cost-mucho-dinero-for-Chad-Ochocinco-to-sw?urn=nfl,106605

The cost to Johnson for changing his name and jersey!

David

both-teams-played-hard
09-10-2008, 10:43 PM
¿Cuál es la gran cosa? Él cambió su nombre. Es un país libre. Aposté que él vende una barcada de jerseys. Pregúntese cuánto un " firmado; eighty-five" ¿Jersey vendería para? Él conseguirá probablemente mucho dinero de repartos del endoso. ¡Señor de largo vivo Chad Johnson!

Vintagedeputy
09-10-2008, 10:47 PM
yah, I'm sure there are just oodles of people dying to wear a Bengals jersey........way to go 85

David
09-11-2008, 02:15 AM
As Kramer would say, "I didn't think that far ahead."

jetersbatboy
09-11-2008, 03:19 AM
¿Cuál es la gran cosa? Él cambió su nombre. Es un país libre. Aposté que él vende una barcada de jerseys. Pregúntese cuánto un " firmado; eighty-five" ¿Jersey vendería para? Él conseguirá probablemente mucho dinero de repartos del endoso. ¡Señor de largo vivo Chad Johnson!

Someone please translate. :confused:

trsent
09-11-2008, 03:48 AM

Translated:

Which is the great thing? He changed his name. It is a free country. I bet that it sells a boatload of jerseys. Pregúntese how much " signed; eighty-five" Jersey would sell stops? He will secure probably much money of distributions of the endorsement. Gentleman of alive length the Chad Johnson!

FastLane80
09-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Translated:

Which is the great thing? He changed his name. It is a free country. I bet that it sells a boatload of jerseys. Pregúntese how much " signed; eighty-five" Jersey would sell stops? He will secure probably much money of distributions of the endorsement. Gentleman of alive length the Chad Johnson!

If anything AT BEST he may break even. Yes it's a free country but that doesn't mean that there aren't consiquences to your actions. I understand Reebok's stance and I think it's justified. I'm sure they're dying to re-sign this guy to another endorsement deal<sarcastic> They should make the necks wider in the "Ocho Cinco" jerseys to fit over this guy's over inflated head. "Ocho Cinco" may also think about starting to play well and earning his money the old fashion way...by being productive rather than being the shock-jock of the NFL.

trsent
09-11-2008, 02:24 PM
If anything AT BEST he may break even. Yes it's a free country but that doesn't mean that there aren't consiquences to your actions. I understand Reebok's stance and I think it's justified. I'm sure they're dying to re-sign this guy to another endorsement deal<sarcastic> They should make the necks wider in the "Ocho Cinco" jerseys to fit over this guy's over inflated head. "Ocho Cinco" may also think about starting to play well and earning his money the old fashion way...by being productive rather than being the shock-jock of the NFL.

That is fine if you feel that way, but I believe the guy is having fun and Reebok and The NFL have no right to tell a person they cannot legally change their name - For any reason - It is not their business.

I feel the guy changed his name and did it legally so who is Big Brother to tell him he cannot go by that name?

Jags Fan Dan
09-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I think the relevance of Chad Johnson (or Ocho Cinco) the persona has permanently surpassed that of Chad Johnson the player.

David
09-11-2008, 02:47 PM
He'd better have a good year this year on the field, because if he has a poor one he'll look like a joke. Whatever your name, kids don't want to buy the jersey of a guy who had 29 catches and 1 touchdown.

David
09-11-2008, 02:59 PM
I think some outrageous athletes mistake public attention for public respect. Curly Moe got great ratings, but that doesn't mean the viewers had admiration and respect for him. In fact, the very reason for Curly's popularity was because even his most loyal viewers found him laughably stupid.

FastLane80
09-11-2008, 03:53 PM
That is fine if you feel that way, but I believe the guy is having fun and Reebok and The NFL have no right to tell a person they cannot legally change their name - For any reason - It is not their business.

I feel the guy changed his name and did it legally so who is Big Brother to tell him he cannot go by that name?I don't think anyone has a problem with him changing his name but when it directly affects the profit of your sponser, that's when it becomes and issue. When "Big Brother" is paying you, you'd better fall in line or expect to suffer the reprecussions of your actions. If someone just cost you an estimated $4 million is sales because of an act such as this, I think you'd be upset too.

gingi79
09-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Anyone remember if Michael Vick was sued too? I mean removing the "Johnson" name plate and re-sewing "Ocho Cinco" is a lot easier than trying to sell a #7 Falcons jersey now right? I mean I just don't believe they have that many jerseys fully customized. He changed his name, it's sewn on a nameplate, I fail to see why it's so hard to fix? Maybe I'm just slow.......

BergerKing22784
09-15-2008, 11:15 PM
It has to do with the replica jerseys. Those are screen printed and you can not take off the name plate and put a new one on there like you could with an authentic.

jppopma
09-16-2008, 12:24 AM
I doubt Reebok will loose that much money on the ordeal. They likely have it all calculated in the inflated prices of the jerseys they do sell.

Players change names from time to time; Kareem Adbul-Jabbar, Bison Dele, etc. On top of that, players get traded and teams change designs. I'm sure that any company making jersyes is not hurting in the least.

Maybe I'm wrong and the powerful Reebok will win a court battle to change the name back...and Adidias will move the Sonics back to Seattle because they still have too many jerseys on hand.....

59FIFTY
09-16-2008, 01:32 PM
They make the jerseys for 8,- and expect Ocho Cinco to pay the full price for every jersey, what a cheap ass company Reebok is:cool:

David
09-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Two points:

1) With collectors (like us), the old jersey often becomes more valuable than the new, overmarketed jersey.

2) Whatever the contract, Johnson's agent no doubt negotiated and perhaps even wrote it, and Johnson signed it for his personal financial benefit. If there are problems, the contract's dictates as as much Johnson's baby as anyone else's. Johnson liked the upside of his million dollar contract but didn't like the downside-- well boo hoo. Fire your agent.

David
09-16-2008, 05:06 PM
One thing I'm sure of is Chad is contractually not allowed to publicly berate Reebok, as he has the NFL and team. If you hired to endorse and promote a company, expect to be be financially/contractually liable if you do the opposite. In fact, they might sue and win if he is paid to endorse and promote, takes the money then purposely turns fans against the company or products.