PDA

View Full Version : Tigers cleaning house?

millerbr
09-11-2008, 09:10 AM
On the Tigers MLB autions, they are selling 2 jerseys in one auction. Are they just trying to clean house quickly or trying to get rid of the players that usually don't sell?

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=36190&cgmenbr=33072944&MoreSubs=N

PudgePollyMillerFan
09-11-2008, 06:59 PM
The answer would be "D" ......ALL OF THE ABOVE.
The Tigers have self destructed and completely destroyed the hobby of collecting Tigers items......they pumped so much crap out this year under the new management that no one wants any of it anymore and if you have some......good luck getting even half of what you paid for it! Several of us collectors warned them and wrote Marc about what he was doing to the value of Tigers jerseys and basically he gave the "hey we need to make as much money as we can so we are selling everything and making players wear numerous jerseys speech (and selling ink pens the players used to sign autographs etc)........If you have watched any of the last 3 or 4 on line auctions the jerseys are not selling and each time they end up putting them back on in a week or two at a much lower price and they are still not moving. Remember the days when Tigers gamers were hard to come by and worth something? I know collectors who are laughing at the $1000 price tags and offering them $300 and they are taking it because they can't sell crap anymore unless it is completely discounted beyond belief. Remember the Sheffields that use to be up around the $2000 mark.......with no wear and no home runs hit in it....now they can't even sell one that he hit two home runs in and one being a grand slam for $1000! Way to destroy the hobby Marc/Tigers.

Ozric
09-11-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm not sure about you guys, but I'm 5 weeks in from the end of a Tigers/MLB auction and I still do not have my jersey nor can anyone tell me where it is. I will not bid on any of their auctions ever again... On the contrary, I received my Mets equipment within a week from the end of the MLB auction.

Tim

cohibasmoker
09-11-2008, 10:32 PM
The answer would be "D" ......ALL OF THE ABOVE.
The Tigers have self destructed and completely destroyed the hobby of collecting Tigers items......they pumped so much crap out this year under the new management that no one wants any of it anymore and if you have some......good luck getting even half of what you paid for it! Several of us collectors warned them and wrote Marc about what he was doing to the value of Tigers jerseys and basically he gave the "hey we need to make as much money as we can so we are selling everything and making players wear numerous jerseys speech (and selling ink pens the players used to sign autographs etc)........If you have watched any of the last 3 or 4 on line auctions the jerseys are not selling and each time they end up putting them back on in a week or two at a much lower price and they are still not moving. Remember the days when Tigers gamers were hard to come by and worth something? I know collectors who are laughing at the $1000 price tags and offering them $300 and they are taking it because they can't sell crap anymore unless it is completely discounted beyond belief. Remember the Sheffields that use to be up around the $2000 mark.......with no wear and no home runs hit in it....now they can't even sell one that he hit two home runs in and one being a grand slam for $1000! Way to destroy the hobby Marc/Tigers.

Are the Tigers alone in "destroying" the hobby? I think not. I can't think of a single team, either in the NFL or MLB, that have made their game worn items available to the public and those items retaining their original value. As I've said a couple of times on this forum, it's all about "supply and demand".

In today's market, "patience" is the key. That item you HAVE TO HAVE today just may be available a few Months from now perhaps 30% less expensive.

Jim