PDA

View Full Version : Rehab Minor League jersey question

godwulf
09-11-2008, 01:40 PM
I have been given the opportunity to make an offer on a jersey, before it is put up for auction, and would like to get some input from you guys on what a fair and reasonable offer - in your minds - would be.

The player is a future first ballot Hall of Fame pitcher, very near the end of his career, who was on a rehab assignment this year with the club's Triple-A affiliate.

The jersey is a nice road grey, and comes with a COA from the GM of the club.

What would you think an item like this would be likely to fetch at auction? If I buy it, I'm certainly not intending to ever re-sell it, but I want to make the current owner a fair offer without spending twice what I have to.

I'm actually thinking of something in the $400-600 range. Does that seem high, low, or somewhere in the ballpark, to you?

ahuff
09-11-2008, 04:06 PM
I would say it somewhat depends. Is there a photo of the player in the jersey? Also, how much wear does the jersey have and does it still have the NOB of the player (if they had names on the back). I guess I'm saying has it been altered.

A few years ago, I offered the Peoria Chiefs a ton of money for Nomar's rehab jersey. From what I've been told, they wound up giving it to an advertiser of the team and that adverstiser auctioned it. I think they went pretty high, as the Peoria area would certainly pay top dollar.

However, I later found a BP jersey on ebay. It came with photo matches and a team COA. I offered the guy $400, as I recall, to Buy-it-Now. He declined the offer and said he wanted it to run the course of the auction. I think I got the jersey for around $150.

I know that another Nomar Trenton jersey has been offered several times as well. I can't recall what it sold for, but it was much less than the going rate. I guess what I am saying, is that these purchases were made during a time that he was an expensive jersey and that is all they commanded. I'm sure some would argue, but when sold on ebay, I would guess minor league jerseys are worth somewhere in 20-25% range of the regular MLB jerseys.

Rob L
09-11-2008, 05:07 PM
The jersey in question is on eBay. I had placed a bid on it and submitted a BIN offer. After a little research on use as welll as seeing this post, I rescinded my offer. My email address is on my website if you have any questions.

godwulf
09-11-2008, 05:52 PM
I'll drop you a line in a minute, Rob...thanks.

I was under the impression that the owner was going to wait for my offer before putting the jersey up for auction again. I was apparently wrong.