PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Authentics auction - Marino jersey

dafivehole
09-16-2008, 04:24 AM
Where do I begin?!? With every Marino jersey I see being up for sale/auction, I eagerly look at the pictures/details to try and determine if it's legit or not... regardless of the LOA provided. I emailed VA last week regarding this jersey http://www.vintageauthentics.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=97664084&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=98010794 I have never dealt with VA so I didn't know what to expect with their reply. The reply I got to my very specific inquiry was less than acceptable "Roger these two pics are the best we can do, the pic of the sleeve on the site provides detail of the sleeve." The pics they sent me were "thumbnail" quality! Of course my reply to this was never answered... for a large auction house that has many nice pieces up for auction, I can't believe that this was their response! I'm not a tire kicker but can they afford to treat all requests like this?!? What a joke!

Here's what I found out in doing my research: the Dolphins rarely wear the aqua jerseys. I got ahold of the Wild Card game from that year against KC and the 75th patch placement matches up to five close up color photos I have of Dan. It is right on the seam where the auction jersey shows at least 1/8" seperation from the seam. There are also some marks on the #3 on the back... on the game footage, there are marks on the #3 but in distinctly different places (no match). The auction jersey does have the "HAY" on the 75th patch but that is a minor detail with everything else considered... so I can safely say that this isn't the jersey from the post-season of that year. I do have another pic from that year but the Wilson "W" on the sleeves is in a totally different location (below the Dolphins logo instead of above). So I've identified two seperate aqua jerseys that were worn that year... one in the post-season, the other unknown. I can't say exactly how many games they wore the aqua in that year but www.gettyimages.com (http://www.gettyimages.com) only shows the play-off game. They had to have worn them in at least one more due to the picture I have with the different "W" placement... but where does this leave the auction jersey?!?!? We may never know......

I hope all of this makes sense especially since someone has already bid up to almost $3K for this jersey. How much research "really" goes into a jersey before it's offered up?!? Who's doing this research too? If anyone can shed more light on this jersey, please let me know. I tried to be somewhat professional about this but this pisses me off the way auction houses work... what they're really saying is "It has our LOA and that's all you need to know!"

Thanks for reading this,
Roger

lund6771
09-16-2008, 08:29 AM
If you want videos from this season LMK...way better than a Lampson LOA