MRMusial
09-16-2008, 10:59 PM
This one's for Vintagedeputy ... ;)

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyside0917,0,5693885.story

Vintagedeputy
09-16-2008, 11:11 PM
haha, told ya so! :)

I love this phrase from the article -

"In the past, some people who were arrested for theft of Stadium property have claimed they didn't know doing so was illegal and that they could be prosecuted"

Believe it or not, I have arrested people that were, yes, THAT DUMB!

jppopma
09-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Nobody ever knows anything is illegal. Thank goodness there is no stupidity clause in the laws.

Better than that are the people who will argue with the cops and try to claim that its all public property and they have a "right" to it.

orioles03
09-17-2008, 09:49 AM
you should have seen when memorial stadium closed the second time people were ripping seats out and trying to carry them out they had police at the gates people were wondering why they were getting stopped whith chairs in there hand .we did get a strip of a seat back and shoved it in our coat

bigtruck260
09-17-2008, 10:17 AM
It happened at Busch Stadium too...

Part of the problem is that the fans know that the organization will auction off most of the stuff they are trying to steal for far more than most fans can afford.

I think St. Louis set a standard in the Busch Lelands auction in 2005-06. Between that and the Fredbird Garage Sale, I have never been more embarrassed to be a Cards supporter.

They were selling 5" x 5" NO SMOKING signs for $100.

The stealing part is wrong - and those who steal should be dealt with accordingly...but if the organizations would offer items from the stadium
at somewhat affordable prices, much of this might be avoided.

Then again, the midwest is a little different than NY:D - I don't remember anyone stealing large items from Busch. I do remember people peeling off the MLB authentication stickers that were already on the seats late in the season - and a few people stole condiment dispensers and crap like that during the last series.

VintageDeputy - just curious...what would your 'speech' be to someone you were carting away for stadium theft?

worldchamps
09-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Well Derek Jeter has been on record saying, he knows exactly what he is going to take when the stadium closes.

Will he be arrested if he gets caught?

momen55
09-17-2008, 12:38 PM
selling everything overpriced is just greed. the place is getting torn down so why not let the fans get what they want? the yankees are going to make plenty of money selling the stuff they take out and there will be plenty left over. i don't see what the big deal is.

making it enjoyable for the fans and let them take something; dirt, grass, whatever. if they did that, they wouldn't have to spend the money for all the security. i agree with there being irreplacable items, but there is enough for evryone. call me what you want but that is my 2 cents.:)

momen55
09-17-2008, 12:40 PM
like worldchamps said, what about jeter? he publicly said he was stealing something. since he is the yankees' golden boy. that will be overlooked and the other cheek will be turn. who knows how many other players are stealing something. they are more than likely to be the first ones to do it.

Vintagedeputy
09-17-2008, 02:38 PM
VintageDeputy - just curious...what would your 'speech' be to someone you were carting away for stadium theft?

My speech would probably start off with something simple like, "Well, you aint too bright are ya? Just how stupid do you have to be to try to steal something from the Stadium with 4000 cops walking around and watching. I mean, I know some dumb people, but it takes a real nitwit to think that they could walk away with XXX and no one would know....so tell me now, is there anyone dumber than you in your family, 'cause I might really need some help down here and I know that the fellas back at headquarters could really use a good laugh. Wait until the other pillars of the community at the jail here about what you tried to steal. You'll be a gosh darn hero son, hell they'll be screaming your name into their pillows at night while they have their way with the "love hole" that they cut in their mattress.".....

Then, it would really go down hill..........

Vintagedeputy
09-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Well Derek Jeter has been on record saying, he knows exactly what he is going to take when the stadium closes.

Will he be arrested if he gets caught?

Now lets not jump to conclusions.....maybe he meant that he's taking his memories. Maybe the Steinbrenners promised him the last home plate used at YS. He could have been given a variety of things as the Captain by the team/owners and simply meant that he was taking that with him. He never stated that he was stealing anything, as far as what I heard.

bigtruck260
09-17-2008, 03:13 PM
My speech would probably start off with something simple like, "Well, you aint too bright are ya? Just how stupid do you have to be to try to steal something from the Stadium with 4000 cops walking around and watching. I mean, I know some dumb people, but it takes a real nitwit to think that they could walk away with XXX and no one would know....so tell me now, is there anyone dumber than you in your family, 'cause I might really need some help down here and I know that the fellas back at headquarters could really use a good laugh. Wait until the other pillars of the community at the jail here about what you tried to steal. You'll be a gosh darn hero son, hell they'll be screaming your name into their pillows at night while they have their way with the "love hole" that they cut in their mattress.".....

I was wrong about your sense of humor. PLEASE carry a small tape recorder if something like this ever happens.

Wonder how much a Sidney Ponson 'Love Hole' might go for....

Vintagedeputy
09-17-2008, 03:18 PM
I was wrong about your sense of humor. PLEASE carry a small tape recorder if something like this ever happens.

Wonder how much a Sidney Ponson 'Love Hole' might go for....

haha, that was me in my old life. I gave up the badge, but not the memories, nor the intensity.

As for Ponson, I dont think that he was in long enough to have a "love hole" in his mattress, but he may have had a "Fifi".....hehehe :)

MRMusial
09-17-2008, 03:51 PM

That's too much ... LOL ... :D

jppopma
09-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Vintagedeputy is either a very very nice cop...or real good at censoring stories.

Vintagedeputy
09-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Vintagedeputy is either a very very nice cop...or real good at censoring stories.

hey, its a family oriented forum!