PDA

View Full Version : New eBay Fees. Good deal or Not?

cohibasmoker
09-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Hello sports fans. I will be the first to say I am not a mathematician. With that said, this morning, I was going list some items and use eBay’s new .35 cents listing fees for all “Fixed Price” auctions.

FIXED AUCTION: The item I was going to list was 299.99. I added two photos and I was going start the auction later this evening. When I completed the listing, with the above extras, the listing fees were just .80 BUT, if sold, the Final fees, would be $21.00.
So, if sold, the total would be 21.80.

AUCTION STYLE: I thought that seemed like a lot so I switched the format to the traditional auction style and the price changed considerably. The listing fees were higher at $3.60 BUT, the final fees would have only been $11.78.
So, if sold, the total would be $15.38. That’s a savings of $6.42.

Is it me? It’s not a big difference but I will say that the auction style auctions have always worked better for me so why spend the extra money?

Here’s how the eBay fees break-down on their auction style listings

- 25.01- $1,000.00
8.75% of the initial $25.00 ($2.19), plus
3.50% of the remaining closing value balance($25.01 - $1,000.00)

Jim

bigtruck260
09-17-2008, 09:49 AM
I have some cards/photos on right now that are very low end...worth more than a dollar, but less than 10. So, rather than have them sell at $1.05 each, I listed them in a BIN/Best offer format, and was unhappy with the fees - both listing and final value....

But, I still come out better than if I had sold them at a garage sale, and based on how many have sold, someone apparently needs the stuff I no longer want. That's always been the plus of eBay. Regardless of the fees - I end up OK...

I just wish that they would deduct fees as you go rather than let them accumulate and bill you in one big chunk.

otismalibu
09-17-2008, 10:33 AM
I just wish that they would deduct fees as you go rather than let them accumulate and bill you in one big chunk.

You can just go into My Ebay and pay whenever you like. I don't sell very often, but when I do, I just pay my fees out of Paypal after the transaction is completed.

worldchamps
09-17-2008, 12:53 PM
I am actually really excited about this new pricing. I hope I am correct in my thinking....but if you can do a Buy it now or best offer for $.35 then there should be a lot of high end items being put on ebay???

To me I would rather put a good jersey with a $2000 buy it now or best offer, have it on there for 30DAYS....have the control of accepting the price I want, and if it doesnt selll then all I lost was 35 cents

I think for a smaller item, or a really hot in demand item you are probably best do auction style

But I feel you can control your item better and will get way more exposure

This is all assuming you can still do the Best Offer with it

Bill

cohibasmoker
09-17-2008, 05:22 PM
I am actually really excited about this new pricing. I hope I am correct in my thinking....but if you can do a Buy it now or best offer for $.35 then there should be a lot of high end items being put on ebay???

To me I would rather put a good jersey with a $2000 buy it now or best offer, have it on there for 30DAYS....have the control of accepting the price I want, and if it doesnt selll then all I lost was 35 cents

I think for a smaller item, or a really hot in demand item you are probably best do auction style

But I feel you can control your item better and will get way more exposure

This is all assuming you can still do the Best Offer with it

Bill

Bill, I read your comments and the 30 day thing seemed like a terrific deal so, I tried it again. When I did the 7-day fixed listing, the cost was $1.45 with the extras. When I did the 30-day fixed listing, the listing fees went up to $3.10.

Jim

trsent
09-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Bill, I read your comments and the 30 day thing seemed like a terrific deal so, I tried it again. When I did the 7-day fixed listing, the cost was $1.45 with the extras. When I did the 30-day fixed listing, the listing fees went up to $3.10.

Jim

Jim, extras, such as Sub-Title which usually cost 50-cents for up to 10 days now costs $1.50 for 30 days since it is running three times as long.