PDA

View Full Version : Another Game Used Unitas Helmet...

aeneas01
09-22-2008, 08:50 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290261191421

although unitas was a riddell man throughout his career, it doesn't seem to stop buyers from dropping big bucks on other types of helmets said to have been worn by him. a macgregor "unitas" helmet sold for $50k, a rawllings "unitas" helmet sold for thousands and now this "unitas" helmet seems to be attracting collectors as well - unbelievable. unitas was one of the most photographed and filmed nflers in history yet not a photo or film frame exists of him wearing anything but a riddell in a game as far as i've seen. apparently a magic marker scribble and/or a decal is all the evidence some collectors require - even when it comes to coughing up thousands of dollars...

i would love to see just one game photo of an nfler, any nfler, wearing a "trojan" helmet - mama mia...

cohibasmoker
09-22-2008, 10:13 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290261191421

although unitas was a riddell man throughout his career, it doesn't seem to stop buyers from dropping big bucks on other types of helmets said to have been worn by him. a macgregor "unitas" helmet sold for $50k, a rawllings "unitas" helmet sold for thousands and now this "unitas" helmet seems to be attracting collectors as well - unbelievable. unitas was one of the most photographed and filmed nflers in history yet not a photo or film frame exists of him wearing anything but a riddell in a game as far as i've seen. apparently a magic marker scribble and/or a decal is all the evidence some collectors require - even when it comes to coughing up thousands of dollars...

i would love to see just one game photo of an nfler, any nfler, wearing a "trojan" helmet - mama mia...

Robert, I like the hand-written #19 on the back. I was an artistic touch.

mvandor
09-22-2008, 11:49 AM
i would love to see just one game photo of an nfler, any nfler, wearing a "trojan" helmet - mama mia..
Youth helmet? Size 7 seems small. Auto looks legit though...

aeneas01
09-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Robert, I like the hand-written #19 on the back. I was an artistic touch.

yeah, pretty typical of every game photo you see of that era - the colts were really big into scrawling 12" numbers on the back of their "trojan" lids with blue magic marker, eh?

youth helmet? i don''t think so - it's a well made lid. the thing is helmet manufacturers during that era weren't up against the crippling product liability issues of today - as such there were a ton of companies making helmets, quality adult helmets. but not many of them could compete with the riddells, rawlings and wilsons of the world and they rarely (if ever) made it to the big show. one of the nicest, well padded, best made helmets i've ever seen was made by a company called protective products inc. - a handful of pro players sported them for a short while but that was about it. anyway i've never heard of "trojan" before and have never seen an example of a pro wearing a "trojan" lid.

but i would honestly love to be wrong about something like this - i would really love to see just one, one, example of a pro wearing such a helmet. or unitas wearing a macgregor or rawlings. it would be fun and interesting.

Nathan
09-22-2008, 11:24 PM
youth helmet? i don''t think so - it's a well made lid. the thing is helmet manufacturers during that era weren't up against the crippling product liability issues of today - as such there were a ton of companies making helmets, quality adult helmets. but not many of them could compete with the riddells, rawlings and wilsons of the world and they rarely (if ever) made it to the big show. one of the nicest, well padded, best made helmets i've ever seen was made by a company called protective products inc. - a handful of pro players sported them for a short while but that was about it. anyway i've never heard of "trojan" before and have never seen an example of a pro wearing a "trojan" lid.

Considering the number of paternity suits and illegitimate children, I don't think most pros have heard of Trojan or worn a Trojan helmet either.:eek:

aeneas01
09-23-2008, 02:58 PM
i've seen it all....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/ju.jpg

helmets
09-23-2008, 04:03 PM
That is awesome! I take it the first name of that bidder is Nate.

Go Nate Go!

aeneas01
09-24-2008, 12:33 AM
That is awesome! I take it the first name of that bidder is Nate. Go Nate Go!

how many "trojan" lids do you have in your collection? amazing, eh? btw did you happen to see the dozen or so vintage lids on ebay last week? some very, very nice helmets that went for a song (i meant to get in on the bidding but snoozed - forgot to even set up some snipes). a couple of micro-fits, one or two m155 lids, a tak29, a couple of tk2 lids and even a great looking gladiator. did you pick any of these up? most went for around $100 or lower - great looking vintage giants gamer (i think it was an m155) that went for about $150...

helmets
09-24-2008, 11:26 AM
I was going to get in on the Giants helmet, but decided not to at the last minute. I did pick up a real nice TK helmet from 1965 that was in real nice shape. I nailed it with the BIN before you got on and beat me to it...

Some of those helmets would have made great projects helmets. The problem with that for me, is that I have a ton of helmets that I have bought over the years - like the Giants that are project helmets that I just don't have time for. They are piling up at an alarming rate. I knew it would just wind up in box in a garage. Recently, I have been trying to use a bit of self control.

mvandor
09-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Recently, I have been trying to use a bit of self control.
We all know "self control" is as big an enemy to serious collectors as budget. :D

helmets
09-24-2008, 11:32 AM
how many "trojan" lids do you have in your collection? amazing, eh?

Sorry, to answer the first part of your question, zero. I am ashamed to say that I have never heard of Trojan helmets. I have a Viking (Brand name, not the team) prototype helmet from the 60's that looks like a motorcycle helmet, but no Trojans...

helmets
09-24-2008, 11:35 AM
We all know "self control" is as big an enemy to serious collectors as budget. :D

Yes, they are both enemies, but often times, related...

Fnazxc0114
09-24-2008, 08:39 PM
did any of you guys read the ad in scd about the suspension helmets for sale. they say they can make any helmet you want. wonder how long it takes for them to get into the market as g/u.