PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Harrison Game-Worn Colts Jersey Question

RKO18
09-23-2008, 01:49 AM
Hi, im new to the boards and this is my first post so hi to everyone. I saw this auction on ebay for a 2002 Marvin Harrison Game-Worn jersey, the link is here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEUSX:IT&item=160283490929

It was also certified by MEARS who graded it an A5 and called it a 2002 pre-season game because it lacked the patch worn in the regular season.

The jersey looks solid, has game use, team repairs, same size as other authenticated Harrison gamers, etc... But a few things worried me a bit.

-The sleeves are a bit shorter then all other Harrison gamers I've seen.
-There is no 'made in berlin' tag on the inside.
-Why would there be dirt marks on a home jersey of a dome team?

But it is the right size, has the extra length, came from grey-flannel auctions which i hear is reputable. The signature has been authenticated, etc.

Is there any chance this is not the real deal? What do you guys think?

Thanks so much.

mvandor
09-23-2008, 08:16 AM
My first guess was that the Colts played a pre-season game that year against a team that wears white at home, like Dallas or Washington, but their two away pre-season games were versus the Saints & Seahawks, both of whom wear colors at home to the best of my knowledge.

Very fair question on the uni dirt if it's a pre-season jersey.

John in KY
09-23-2008, 08:48 AM
My first guess was that the Colts played a pre-season game that year against a team that wears white at home, like Dallas or Washington, but their two away pre-season games were versus the Saints & Seahawks, both of whom wear colors at home to the best of my knowledge.

Very fair question on the uni dirt if it's a pre-season jersey.

While it is possible the Saints wore white at home since they do tend to mix things up a bit (and in all honesty I don't remember what their preferred look was back in 2002 but they typically wind up wearing white at home at least once per season) the real problem is the dirt marks. Both the Saints and Seahawks also play on turf, so there shouldn't have been any marks.

ironmanfan
09-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Hi, im new to the boards and this is my first post so hi to everyone. I saw this auction on ebay for a 2002 Marvin Harrison Game-Worn jersey, the link is here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEUSX:IT&item=160283490929

It was also certified by MEARS who graded it an A5 and called it a 2002 pre-season game because it lacked the patch worn in the regular season.

Maybe I'm missing something here because I looked at the link to the auction and I didn't see any mention of MEARS in the auction description (just Grey Flannel & JSA).

RKO18
09-23-2008, 12:11 PM
the auction doesn't mention anything about MEARS. But if you look at the default picture which was from Grey-Flannel, you can see the hologram sticker so I asked the seller about it. He was helpful and I asked MEARS about it from there. They said they didn't see anything off with the sleeves but they clearly look different to me.

RKO18
09-23-2008, 04:57 PM
What do you guys make of the sleeves being different?

But in regards to Grey-Flannel auctions, how reputable are they and is it likely they would sell something that wouldn't be authentic? Doesn't the fact that it has a real signature make it more likely that the jersey is the real deal?

Jags Fan Dan
09-24-2008, 02:17 PM
In regards to dirt on a Colts home jersey, I think it is especially more likely to find that on a pre-season used jersey due to the time of year, as the home team gets to choose which jerseys they want to wear. For example, if there was a pre-season game at Jacksonville in August (95 degrees plus), the Jags are going to opt for their white jerseys (cooler) and make the visiting team wear their dark jerseys. Just a thought.