Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

What items are photomatchable?

what items are photomatchable? i can see bats being photo matchedbased on bat markings but what other items can be photomatched. i see it being even tougher for basketball and football items.

there has to be something specific that says this is an exact match rather than a type match.

example would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.
  • GarkoCollector
    • Sep 2008

Re: What items are photomatchable?

Jerseys CAN be photomatched if theres some sort of marking. Usually a tear or stitch mark, place where the jersey has been repaired, etc.

Comment

• Lokee
      Banned
      • May 2008

striped jersey's are pretty easy to photomatch.

Comment

• joelsabi
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Lokee
        striped jersey's are pretty easy to photomatch.
        these is a nice story on matching the jersey used by roger maris to break babe ruth single season hr record. i read it in the smithsonian baseball book by wong. the truth is in the stripes.

non-stripes seems harded to go for positioning of patches, nameplates and numbers. is that correct?
        Regards,
        Joel S.
        joelsabi @ gmail.com
        Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• joelsabi
          • Aug 2005

was hoping for more input. i was hoping to gather a list of items that could be photomatched.

Has anyone ever photomatched a fielding glove, cleats, batting glove, pants, hat, wristband, baseball, or a batting helmet? What were you looking for? Are any of these item impossible to photomatch and more likely can just be called a style match?
          Regards,
          Joel S.
          joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• kylehess10
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by joelsabi
            was hoping for more input. i was hoping to gather a list of items that could be photomatched.

Has anyone ever photomatched a fielding glove, cleats, batting glove, pants, hat, wristband, baseball, or a batting helmet? What were you looking for? Are any of these item impossible to photomatch and more likely can just be called a style match?

From that list, I've been able to photomatch 2 pairs of pants, 1 helmet, and 2 hats. And I've been able to style-match a wristband and baseball from the play they came from.
            kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
            http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/

Comment

• trsent
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Anything possibly could be photo-matched, but most items can only be style-matched. I had two Brian Urlacher game used, autographed, dated and inscribed jerseys last year with grass stains that were dead on photo-matches.

Most items can only be style matched. People always are pulling at strings stating they have found a dead-on photo match, but they are just hoping. Most items are only able to be style-matched as the items photos are found of are just not close enough?

Comment

• BULBUS
                • Nov 2005

Anything can be photomatched as long as it has a distinctive mark that can be see in a photo.
                Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
                sigpic
                donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by kylehess10
                  From that list, I've been able to photomatch 2 pairs of pants, 1 helmet, and 2 hats. And I've been able to style-match a wristband and baseball from the play they came from.
                  kyle how did you photo match a hat? what were you looking for or at?
                  Regards,
                  Joel S.
                  joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• kylehess10
                    • Feb 2006

kyle how did you photo match a hat? what were you looking for or at?

Here's the two hats I photomatched......

the first is a Daryle Ward Braves hat. He only played 1 month in a Braves uniform, so I knew it had to be his anyways, but, there's a loose stitch on it which appears to match:

and the other hat is of Latroy Hawkins......and you can see the match without even asking:

kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:

Comment

• trsent
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2005

Here's the two hats I photomatched......

the first is a Daryle Ward Braves hat. He only played 1 month in a Braves uniform, so I knew it had to be his anyways, but, there's a loose stitch on it which appears to match:

and the other hat is of Latroy Hawkins......and you can see the match without even asking:

Kyle, this is what I was talking about - The first one is a style-match but the stitch makes it really close but no way it is a dead on photo match.

As for the second cap, I think you should blow-up the initials and place them side by side for all to inspect. Pretty cool cap either way. What did "RS" stand for?

I am still waiting for a photo-match for my bat. Then again, I do not think I have even opened the USPS box yet!

Comment

• kylehess10
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by trsent
                        Kyle, this is what I was talking about - The first one is a style-match but the stitch makes it really close but no way it is a dead on photo match.

As for the second cap, I think you should blow-up the initials and place them side by side for all to inspect. Pretty cool cap either way. What did "RS" stand for?

I am still waiting for a photo-match for my bat. Then again, I do not think I have even opened the USPS box yet!

I do realize that the Ward wasn't a dead-on photomatch, since I'm sure lots of hats would have loose stitches like that, but I still call it a photomatch being that he most-likely wore only one hat during his whole tenure with the Braves. Daryle Ward actually has a personal myspace, and I sent him a message asking him about a jersey I have of his plus this hat, but he read the message and didn't respond. As for the "RS" on the Hawkins hat, I'm still trying to figure out what it means. I guess the only way is to ask him in-person
                        kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:

Comment

• trsent
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2005

I do realize that the Ward wasn't a dead-on photomatch, since I'm sure lots of hats would have loose stitches like that, but I still call it a photomatch being that he most-likely wore only one hat during his whole tenure with the Braves. Daryle Ward actually has a personal myspace, and I sent him a message asking him about a jersey I have of his plus this hat, but he read the message and didn't respond. As for the "RS" on the Hawkins hat, I'm still trying to figure out what it means. I guess the only way is to ask him in-person
                          He doesn't also have a MySpace page?

My issues with the concept is a "photo-match" has to be dead on, no chance it is not the same exact item. A cap is very difficult to photo-match. A style-match is more appropriate as it doesn't give any false hope to buyers.

I know you are not selling these items, but when sellers abuse the term "photo-match" it is not fair if the item is not a dead on photo-match.

Comment

• bigtruck260
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by trsent
                            He doesn't also have a MySpace page?

My issues with the concept is a "photo-match" has to be dead on, no chance it is not the same exact item. A cap is very difficult to photo-match. A style-match is more appropriate as it doesn't give any false hope to buyers.

I know you are not selling these items, but when sellers abuse the term "photo-match" it is not fair if the item is not a dead on photo-match.
                            Kyle -

I would have no problem buying that hat as photo-matched based on your photos. You are gaining a reputation as a person who uses your resources and time...and you would save me money by doing so. Not to mention, I don't think you are planning on making a mint from that Ward hat.

Joel -

Totally understand your point too. For me, If I am buying an item for my collection (not to sell immediately), it's OK, but if I am selling, I would probably post photos and let the buyer decide without leading them on.

I've seen folks do this before, and I don't think it's unethical.
                            Dave
                            Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                            River City Redbird Authentics
                            http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• trsent
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bigtruck260
                              Joel -

Totally understand your point too. For me, If I am buying an item for my collection (not to sell immediately), it's OK, but if I am selling, I would probably post photos and let the buyer decide without leading them on.

I've seen folks do this before, and I don't think it's unethical.
                              As usual - You are correct, sir!

Comment

Working...