PDA

View Full Version : Hank Aaron bat ?

scottanservitz
03-18-2006, 08:08 AM
Hello. I recently keep seeing the Aaron game used bat being listed on eBay at $3,999. It is an R43-34in.-31oz. Are these specs correct on Aaron? I believe MEARS graded it an A5. What about the price on this? Do you believe that is consistent for an Aaron gamer? Mike, Jim, anyone? Thanks in advance.

MSpecht
03-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Hi--

These dimensions are not consistent with Hank Aaron's personal H & B factory records for the 1950 - 1960 labeling period which is the period for this bat. Most of Aaron's game used bats fall into the 35 inch length, 33 or 34 ounce range throughout his career, although a few orders of 34 inch and 35 1/2 and 36 inch models are documented.

The bat on Ebay is a Team Index bat, which means that R43 models with Aaron's signature on the barrel were ordered by the team - Milwaukee Braves in this case) in a variety of lengths and weights for use by any team members who wished to use them, including pitchers, minor leaguers, etc. The fact that it does not match Aaron's personal factory records, and is of a length and weight combination that is uncharacteristic of his personal orders makes it extremely unlikely that this bat was ever used by Hank Aaron in a professional game.

The MEARS LOA identifies this bat as a professional model bat, not matching Aaron's personal factory records, but matching team order records for the labeling period. The distinction there is sometimes lost on collectors --

This bat is a professional model bat maunfactured by H & B between 1950 and 1960 for use in a professional game, with characteristics indicating use in a professional game by an unknown player --

This bat is not authenticated as matching H & B factory records for Hank Aaron with characteristics indicative of game use by Hank Aaron himself.

Additional info on Team Index bats can be found searching the Game Used Universe forum archives. Remember, as has been said on this forum in the past, this hobby (I guess you can still call it that) is many times based on probability -- research, ask questions, and come to a determination whether there is a great probability or a lesser possibility that any specific item is truly what it is represented to be.

Here's some Hammerin' Hank Aaron trivia...In the 1970's, Oakland A's owner Charles O. Finley noticed a youngster named Stanley Burrell dancing on the streets around the Oakland baseball stadium. Finley took a liking to the young boy, and named him the A;'s executive vice president. His real job was to hang around the team and report to Finley what was happening. He nicknamed the boy "Little Hammer" for his resemblance to Hank Aaron. Burrell stayed in that position until 1980. As much as "Little Hammer" wanted to be a pro baseball player, it wasn't in the cards. He eventually took his nickname and entered another field of entertainment, and that's how Stanley Burrell found fame and fortune as rap music pioneer M.C. Hammer.

All the best.

Mike

scottanservitz
03-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Mike,
Thanks. As always, you are right on top of things. As far as M.C., I think I knew that, but very entertaining, none the less.