PDA

View Full Version : Steelers game issued on Ebay

costas
09-24-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm new at collecting game football jerseys and wanted to get feedback on this

http://cgi.ebay.com/WILLIE-PARKER-PITTSBURGH-STEELERS-PRO-CUT-GAME-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ320301794488QQihZ011QQcategoryZ868 29QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have only seen game used Steelers from previous auctions/collections and noticed there are collar swatches in the back with players size and numbers. this one doesn't seem to have it but wanted to know if that is usually the case with game issued jerseys and if only game worn get the swatch on the collar back? thank you

mvandor
09-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Just a pro-cut jersey, certainly never came from the Steelers. I'd review his feedback as well, not a stellar record. Finally, this seller has a history of using the term "game issue" loosely and pushes alot of pro-cuts.

costas
09-24-2008, 09:04 AM
what are the differences between procut and game issued/used jerseys? I thought they are all the same and that's what separated them from retail jerseys? thanks

mvandor
09-24-2008, 11:23 AM
what are the differences between procut and game issued/used jerseys? I thought they are all the same and that's what separated them from retail jerseys? thanks

In the strict sense of the term, "game issue", to me, means it came from the team, is the same as what was used in games, but never made it to the field for whatever reason.

Some sellers, on the other hand, abuse the term to mean "very similar to" what is worn on the field. With helmets, that can mean "same model, same decals, same facemask" - or close to it. Same with jerseys.

"Pro-cuts" are typically VERY similar to on-field jerseys, longer tails, year tags in the collar, shorter elasticized sleeves. Depending on the alterations of the specific player they can actually be spot-on. That's why so many make it into the hobby as game used when unscrupulous people buy up pro-cuts, dirty em in the back yard, and falsely represent them as game jerseys. It can be tough to tell the difference sometimes. Little giveaways can be subtle, stitching, fonts on numerals or nameplates, position of logos, numerals, etc.

costas
09-24-2008, 11:35 AM
thanks mvandor, so what is the purpose of pro-cuts if they're not given to the team/player to be used in games and they are not designed for retail sale either? are they prototypes used as samples to prepare for the actual game jerseys? thanks

otismalibu
09-24-2008, 11:51 AM
I think they make hoops pro cuts that are available to the public. I've seen them listed on websites for a pretty hefty sum.

As far as Steelers jerseys go, I'm not sure where you'd get a current Steelers Reebok jersey that is made in Berlin, WI, other than from some sort of team source. That size tag on the jock tag is not a retail tag that I know of. Can't see FWP wearing a 56 either. Maybe he just customized a team blank??

This looks like a team issued jersey to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rashard-Mendenhall-Steelers-2008-Game-Cut-Issued-Jersey_W0QQitemZ330272360653QQihZ014QQcategoryZ249 70QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

costas
09-24-2008, 11:58 AM
I think they make hoops pro cuts that are available to the public. I've seen them listed on websites for a pretty hefty sum.

As far as Steelers jerseys go, I'm not sure where you'd get a current Steelers Reebok jersey that is made in Berlin, WI, other than from some sort of team source. That size tag on the jock tag is not a retail tag that I know of. Can't see FWP wearing a 56 either. Maybe he just customized a team blank??

This looks like a team issued jersey to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rashard-Mendenhall-Steelers-2008-Game-Cut-Issued-Jersey_W0QQitemZ330272360653QQihZ014QQcategoryZ249 70QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

that Mendenall jersey, is it common for the Steelers not to have a jocktag on their bottom left of the jersey?

otismalibu
09-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I've seen some Steelers jersey that are shortened, and they don't re-attach the jock tag. Like Hines' jersey...it's cut so it can't even be tucked in.

http://www.stadiumpanoramics.com/football/hines_ward_xl_photo_11.jpg

It may have been shortened, because I don't see the slits on the sides.

Just guessing though.

scottanservitz
09-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Steelers jerseys are very difficult to come by. Without team documentation or solid provenance, I would be very leery about any Steelers jersey out there.

Scott

mvandor
09-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Also missing year, size tag in collar. If you're looking for a legit from the team item, I really wouldn't buy this jersey. If you just want a nice looking pro-cut, buy it.