PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Johnny Bench autograph story

Vintagedeputy
09-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Just read this on another website......if its true, its just flat out awful...

I went last night to the Boston University Bookstore for a book signing by Johnny Bench. I was planning on buying his book and having it signed, but my real goal was to have him sign my HOF bat. I've been working on this bat for about 15+ years, where I have been getting as many Hall of Fame people to sign it. I'm close to 30 now. (My experience has been that at book signings, usually the people will only sign their book and not other things, but I figured I'd take a chance.)

I went into the signing area and left the bat in my car, and figured I'd ask Bench to see if he'd sign it first. (It's pointless to ask bookstore people, since they'll just say no.) So I waited in the small line, went up to Bench, had him sign my book, then asked him:

Me: Mr. Bench, I have a bat out in my car that I've had about 30 Hall of Famers sign. I would be thrilled if you would sign it for me as well.
Bench: Ah, well, ask my son what he thinks (pointing to back of room).

His son is about 20 years old and goes to BU - hence the appearance there. I'm confused, but I do as he said and go talk to his son. I repeat the story to the son, and he says sure, although he's not sure why Johnny told me to ask him. I go back out to my car, get the bat, wait at the back until the last 10 people or so get their books signed, then I go up to the front where Bench is, by himself.

Me: Thanks to you and your son for agreeing to sign the bat for me; I greatly appreciate it.
Bench (taking my pen and signing my bat): My son told you I want fifty bucks for doing this, right?
Me: Excuse me?
Bench (somewhat snapping at me): I'm here to sign books, not your bat. I want fifty bucks.
Me: No one said that to me. I had no idea.
Bench (angry now): Don't give me that crap. If you've had 30 people sign this, you know how it works. You want it signed, you pay up. (He's now holding my bat, not giving it back.)
Me (opening my wallet and showing him): I've got 24 bucks on me; I came in with 50, but just spent 26 to buy your book. And honestly, I haven't paid anyone else to sign my bat.
Bench: So you think I'm here to just sign your bat for free? Ridiculous. (Rolls the bat back across the table at me.) And to think I tried to give you a break - go to my website next time, and you'd have to pay 100 bucks.
Me: So do you want my 24 bucks?
Bench: Get out of here, will ya?

skyking26
09-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Oh man, that is a classic. I still remember meeting Hank Aaron at a show in the mid 90's. He sat in a limo in the parking area watching college football on a tv and made everybody in line wait. Then he comes in, speaks with few, and when I get up to him, I kindly asked if he'd sign my ball and add 756. He had a guy on either side of him and never spoke directly to me. He preceded to angrily state to these guys that he was there to sign his name, nothing else (obviously directing this at me). What an a*s. It was a question.

Or maybe the time Reggie J did a signing and I used to see a handicapped girl watch signers from the side line. She could not afford autos but would watch standing with her arm braces on. I overheard Reggie's guys tell him it would look good for him to go talk to her. He said he had no time. They kept on him and he finally turned on the charm and walked over. It was all a show. The only good thing was the girl had no clue.

Sad..........

GarkoCollector
09-25-2008, 07:53 AM
I was at a press conference for Bonds in the late 90's. There was a kid in the audience that had been brought there by Make A Wish to meet Bonds prior to a game. When Bonds was walking out, the kid yelled HEY BARRY!!!! Bonds looked at the kid, rolled his eyes and kept going. His press told him that the kid was there from Make A Wish. He came back out and smiled at the kid, signed a baseball and handed it to him. The kid looked at it and threw the ball on the ground. He tells Bonds, "I'm sick, not an idiot."

I love that story.

BULBUS
09-25-2008, 08:09 AM
I went to a Phil Simms book signing at the Yogi Berra museum. He was awesome! I had him sign my book, then asked if he would sign my football. He said sure and signed it with a beautiful large signature and added the SB MVP inscription. That was my only book signing experience.

wahboom22
09-25-2008, 08:19 AM
When Bench asked about the $50 bucks you should have said that you already paid his son and he would have signed and then you should have gotten the hell outta there! Then you would be telling a story about how you out smarted Johnny Bench!

And for all you boy scouts that are going to call it stealing......get over it.....guys charging crazy prices to sign stuff and being complete jerks is the real crime.....

Bench would not be able or willing to press any type of charges and really there is no law that you would be breaking, unless there was a stated price to sign other items then the book. actually it would be your word against his on the agreement made to sign the bat. Do you really think Bench wants a news station or the papers picking up a story about him having a fan arrested for having an item signed? I think not!

ironmanfan
09-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Waboom; the guy ended up getting the bat signed for free. It was while he was signing it he asked for the $50.....The guy offered the $24 he had, but Bench declined. No crime committed here.

mvandor
09-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Some of these older jocks played for chump change back in the day and I believe are resentful that they have to now parade themselves in public signings to get by, while more recent lesser players are rolling in dough.

I think that resentment comes out in the way they deal with the public all too often, unfortunately. If $50 is that big a deal to Bench, he's either greedy, tight, or financially challenged.

godwulf
09-25-2008, 10:20 AM
When I hear things like that Bench story, and the one about Kirk Gibson and the helmet, I have to consider myself lucky to have gotten away as cleanly as I did when The Big Unit signed my World Series bat. Compared to either one of those jerks, Randy was an absolute angel. :rolleyes:

MRMusial
09-25-2008, 10:20 AM
I went to a Phil Simms book signing at the Yogi Berra museum. He was awesome! I had him sign my book, then asked if he would sign my football. He said sure and signed it with a beautiful large signature and added the SB MVP inscription. That was my only book signing experience.He's one GIANT class act... :)

costas
09-25-2008, 10:27 AM
when did this take place, I don't see any mention of this book signing on his site's event calendar

http://www.johnnybench.com/events.php

godwulf
09-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Joe Garagiola did a signing last year at a local bookstore. I actually bought the book, which was pre-signed, the day before at that bookstore, because the pre-signed copies had a signed HOF postcard and another signed card in them, and I didn't know whether those would be included in the copies for sale the day of the signing.

Anyway, I went up to Joe with a baseball and an old photo of him in his Cardinals uniform, and assured him that I'd bought the book the day before, and asked him to sign my ball and photo. He looked over to the bookstore owner (who knows me and my wife well) and said, "Is this guy okay?" She assured him that I was, and Joe said, jokingly, "Well, if he didn't buy the book, lightning's gonna strike him."

shirkr
09-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Bench makes a yearly week long trip to Wichita. He takes part in a golf tournament, catchers clinic at Wichita State, etc. The big part of his trip is presenting the NCAA D-I Catcher of the Year award (I'm sure there's another name for the award). Anyways, good friends with a couple that was sitting with Bench at one of the award shows a few years ago. He would not sign anything for adults. Would sign for kids only and one item only. I was lucky enough to get a few cards signed though :D .

David
09-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Since probably half the stuff they sign for free shows up on eBay the following week, I don't begrudge them for being wary of signers. I'm sure if they could differentiate between the eBay resellers and the people wanting keepsakes, they'd often be very friendly to sign for the keepsake collectors. I can't blame a fomer player who doesn't feel it's his obigation in life to provide income for eBay dealers.

commando
09-25-2008, 12:21 PM
I know the original scenario mentioned here is a little different, but keep in mind that when celebrities are brought in for book signings, often they are NOT allowed to sign things other than their book. They are specifically there to represent the bookstore and a being paid under contract to do so.

David
09-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Good point, Anthony. The book seller hires the author to appear so they can sell copies of the book. The rule about only signing a store purchased book may be the store's rule enforced on the author.

David
09-25-2008, 12:51 PM
One thing I don't understand is why a collector intentionally breaking store rules and trying to get a signature for free or dirt cheap ($24 is dirt cheap even by eBay forged signature standards) is considered cute collecting behavior, but Bench chosing not to accomodate his ploy is boorish. As already noted, Bench may not have been allowed to sign anything other than books.

David
09-25-2008, 01:23 PM
As many know, astronaut Neil Armstrong is perhaps the toughest living celebrity signer, as he refuses to autograph. He used to autograph, but said he quit when he learned how many forgeries of his signature were for sale and how many people requested his autograph only so they could turn an a profit. He decided the autograph hobby wasn't something he was willing to participate in anymore.

godwulf
09-25-2008, 02:32 PM
As many know, astronaut Neil Armstrong is perhaps the toughest living celebrity signer, as he refuses to autograph. He used to autograph, but said he quit when he learned how many forgeries of his signature were for sale and how many people requested his autograph only so they could turn an a profit. He decided the autograph hobby wasn't something he was willing to participate in anymore.

It seems to me that if someone were genuinely concerned about their autograph being forged, they'd sign anything and everything, every chance they got and every time somebody asked - until their signature was essentially worthless as a "collectible" item. Everybody who wanted a Neil Armstrong autograph would have one, and if you didn't have one, you could pick one up for $9.99 on eBay. :rolleyes:

As for worrying about what other people do with your autograph...again, if you want to minimize the profit motive, you increase the supply; it doesn't make any sense to refuse to sign anything, thereby vastly increasing the scarcity of your autograph, demand for same, and the motive to sell it for big bucks.

Danny899
09-25-2008, 03:26 PM
I know the original scenario mentioned here is a little different, but keep in mind that when celebrities are brought in for book signings, often they are NOT allowed to sign things other than their book. They are specifically there to represent the bookstore and a being paid under contract to do so.

Anthony,
Your post is right on the money. At nearly all of these book signings, there are plenty of signs stating in effect that no memorabilia will be signed other than the offered book. Even the ads leading up to the show usually indicate this rule. Yet there is always some knucklehead in line with a ball or a bat looking for a freebie. By the time they get up there, naturally a confrontation ensues leaving the athlete angry. Then you have to deal with him still steaming when it's your turn to get up there (by no fault of your own). As far as the original post goes, there is only one side of the story listed. I'm sure Mr. Bench could offer his version which really demands nothing more than, "Hey read the signs or I can only sign books." I've been to many shows where Bench has signed some quite valuable items for me and he has always shown himself to be friendly, accomodating and profesional.

Nathan
09-25-2008, 03:33 PM

In baseball, Dr. Mike Marshall won't sign anything except for one private signing a few years ago. Bill Corcoran out of Tampa apparently made an irresistable offer, so Marshall signed 100 baseballs.

If you see one, they sell for around $300 apiece, which is staggering considering that he's a fairly accessable 65-year-old in perfect health.

His philosophy is basically "I played baseball. Go get an autograph from someone that did something important."

godwulf
09-25-2008, 04:15 PM
His philosophy is basically "I played baseball. Go get an autograph from someone that did something important."

That's his prerogative, of course, but it sort of misses the whole concept and point of it being fun to collect autographs of people associated with something that you really enjoy - like Baseball.

Yes, a lot of things in life are more important than sports...we all recognize that. Given the choice of getting a baseball signed by a famous heart surgeon, or an astronaut, or even a President of the United States, and getting one signed by the backup outfielder on my favorite Baseball team - there's no question but that I'm going for the ballplayer.

I don't believe that makes me a shallow person, or someone who is confused about his priorities - it just makes me a Baseball fan.

xpress34
09-25-2008, 05:14 PM
It seems to me that if someone were genuinely concerned about their autograph being forged, they'd sign anything and everything, every chance they got and every time somebody asked - until their signature was essentially worthless as a "collectible" item. Everybody who wanted a Neil Armstrong autograph would have one, and if you didn't have one, you could pick one up for $9.99 on eBay. :rolleyes:

As for worrying about what other people do with your autograph...again, if you want to minimize the profit motive, you increase the supply; it doesn't make any sense to refuse to sign anything, thereby vastly increasing the scarcity of your autograph, demand for same, and the motive to sell it for big bucks.

GodWulf -

While that reasoning sounds very plausible, it's actually very flawed when used in the context of a HOF player or very popular player, etc (also know as 'the exceptions to the rule')...

Examples: Mickey Mantle. I grew up in Dallas and Mantle worked the shows there in the late 80's and early 90's constantly. He has a TON of Authentic (whether Authenticated or not is another story) Autos out in the hobby. Hell, in the early 90's, local shops in dallas bought AUTO baseballs from him by the case (12 count) and they could be found for about $35 or so... his AUTO after his death surged and has never come back down.

Nolan Ryan. Ryan has oft been quoted as saying, "I will sign anything for anybody. Then when I'm gone, the auto won't be worth anything" (paraphrased - not exact word for word quote - you get the idea). While Nolan is taking the idea you expressed and putting it into action, the fact he is a HOFer and very popular has kept his AUTOs a pretty decent value. I mean look how many cards he signs for sets - and his auto is always one of the higher $$$ ones in the set. When he is gone, his autos - just like Mantle's - while undoubtedly skyrocket.

As far as Bench, I've never met the man - but I've heard conflicting stories - and I have been on the end of good and bad autograph stories myself while having friends tell me of completely opposite tales of their meetings with the same people I had experiences with.

And yes, it is generally the decision of the store owner/signing rep/etc to determine what can or cannot be signed at a specific event, although somes places do leave it up to the athlete.

Case in point - Matt Holliday was signing at Listen Up about a week and half ago on behalf of Sharp TV and they had special Topps cards made up for the signing. The 'handlers' said that the cards were what were supposed to be signed, but if Matt agreed to sign other items, they would allow it. Matt signed balls, bats, etc and even inscribed (he had already signed) my 2007 GU WS Hat - and verified it was the ONLY one he wore for all 4 games of the WS. Mike Schmidt on the other hand was at an event my friend attended at a Toledo Mud Hens game and would ONLY sign the ED Medication 5x7 cards that the phamaceutical company he was representing had made up - no balls, not bats, no baseball cards.

Ultimately, it all boils down to the athlete... this last tale happened to a friend of mine here in Denver about 14 years ago at the National when it was held here in Denver - Mickey Mantle was the BIG signer - and he took a glove that his dad had given him as a kid (a Mantle Model) fro Mick to sign.

He paid his $75 signing fee to UDA (yes, Upper Deck Authenticated was 'handling' the Mick) and when he got to the table, he was informed by UD that he could NOT have his glove signed as they were considering making replica gloves for Mick to sign. NONE of this was listed/posted/etc - just a decision by the UD rep at the table - so they gave him an 8x10 to get signed for his $75. He was pretty upset, and made it very clear that he was upset and Mantle heard the whole deal. After Mick signed the picture and he was walking away, a security guard approached him and asked him to come talk to him. He thought he was in big trouble for making such a scene.

The guard told him to be at a certain elevator in the Denver Convention Center at a cetain time and not to be late. He went, the doors opened and the guard and Mantle were in the elevator. Mick asked him to come in, apologized for the BS he had to go through from UD and signed his mitt and dropped him off at the next floor. That is a class act!

I always like reading people's interactions with players and I will add some more of my own later...

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
09-25-2008, 05:16 PM

GodWulf -

While that reasoning sounds very plausible, it's actually very flawed when used in the context of a HOF player or very popular player, etc (also know as 'the exceptions to the rule')...

Examples: Mickey Mantle. I grew up in Dallas and Mantle worked the shows there in the late 80's and early 90's constantly. He has a TON of Authentic (whether Authenticated or not is another story) Autos out in the hobby. Hell, in the early 90's, local shops in Dallas bought AUTO baseballs from him by the case (12 count) and they could be found for about $35 or so... his AUTO after his death surged and has never come back down.

Nolan Ryan. Ryan has oft been quoted as saying, "I will sign anything for anybody. Then when I'm gone, the auto won't be worth anything" (paraphrased - not exact word for word quote - you get the idea). While Nolan is taking the idea you expressed and putting it into action, the fact he is a HOFer and very popular has kept his AUTOs a pretty decent value. I mean look how many cards he signs for sets - and his auto is always one of the higher $$$ ones in the set. When he is gone, his autos - just like Mantle's - while undoubtedly skyrocket.

As far as Bench, I've never met the man - but I've heard conflicting stories - and I have been on the end of good and bad autograph stories myself while having friends tell me of completely opposite tales of their meetings with the same people I had experiences with.

And yes, it is generally the decision of the store owner/signing rep/etc to determine what can or cannot be signed at a specific event, although somes places do leave it up to the athlete.

Case in point - Matt Holliday was signing at Listen Up about a week and half ago on behalf of Sharp TV and they had special Topps cards made up for the signing. The 'handlers' said that the cards were what were supposed to be signed, but if Matt agreed to sign other items, they would allow it. Matt signed balls, bats, etc and even inscribed (he had already signed) my 2007 GU WS Hat - and verified it was the ONLY one he wore for all 4 games of the WS. Mike Schmidt on the other hand was at an event my friend attended at a Toledo Mud Hens game and would ONLY sign the ED Medication 5x7 cards that the pharmaceutical company he was representing had made up - no balls, not bats, no baseball cards.

Ultimately, it all boils down to the athlete... this last tale happened to a friend of mine here in Denver about 14 years ago at the National when it was held here in Denver - Mickey Mantle was the BIG signer - and he took a glove that his dad had given him as a kid (a Mantle Model) for Mick to sign.

He paid his $75 signing fee to UDA (yes, Upper Deck Authenticated was 'handling' the Mick) and when he got to the table, he was informed by UD that he could NOT have his glove signed as they were considering making replica gloves for Mick to sign. NONE of this was listed/posted/etc - just a decision by the UD rep at the table - so they gave him an 8x10 to get signed for his $75. He was pretty upset, and made it very clear that he was upset and Mantle heard the whole deal. After Mick signed the picture and he was walking away, a security guard approached him and asked him to come talk to him. He thought he was in big trouble for making such a scene.

The guard told him to be at a certain elevator in the Denver Convention Center at a cetain time and not to be late. He went, the doors opened and the guard and Mantle were in the elevator. Mick asked him to come in, apologized for the BS he had to go through from UD and signed his mitt and dropped him off at the next floor. That is a class act!

I always like reading people's interactions with players and I will add some more of my own later...

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
09-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Sorry!!! :o

Didn't mean to post twice - I rcvd an error message and resubmitted!!!:cool:

skyking26
09-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Bias here. Dave Kingman. Sure, I've known him for years. Was dating my wife back in 94 and I talked her into taking a road trip with me to see Kong in NYC (from MI). It's a llllooooonnnnggg drive. We go to the show the next day and Kingman spots us when he comes in, comes over and speaks with us a minute. After the show the limo driver comes over to tell Dave he is here and they can go when he is ready. Dave tells the driver to never mind, he's going to the airport with me!!! After the driver left, I had to tell Dave I did not have a clue where the JFK airport was. Needless to say I still remember him a little concerned on the drive over, but I'll never forget that.

RK

geoff
09-25-2008, 09:07 PM
All I have to say is Wow.

David
09-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Knowing of Dr. Marshall's personality, he likely thinks the autograph hobby about as profound and worth his time as the beannie baby hobby or Barbie Doll hobby.

skyking26
09-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Here's some more negative stories:

Al Kaline. Almost every encounter thru the years, paid or unpaid have been negative. An icon here in Detroit, Kaline is usually weary of anyone approaching him for anything. I used to hang out by the broadcast booth at Tiger Stadium and hit up many former player-turned broadcaster. I still remember standing there on crutches with my wife and a ball for Kaline to sign after a game. Upon asking, he took his briefcase and threw it across the cement. Funny thing was, he signed and inscribed the ball all the way complaining profusely. His demeanor has been very similar at almost any paid appearance I have seen him at. Very serious, very miserable guy.

Kirk Gibson: Gibby had a place for some time about 50 miles from my place in Lapeer MI. Knew a guy who went to his place on a service call for Detroit Edison. He did not know upon arrival Gibson lived there. Nice looking woman answers the door, and as she tells him that the problem is in the basement and he enters, he is met by a grouchy guy in a towel. The man informs him that he is not to touch a thing other than the electrical panel. Guy goes down in basement, sees some trophy cases and realizes he is now in Kirk Gibson's home. He performs his job, and as he is walking out he takes his hands and smears them all over the cases...

Nathan
09-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Knowing of Dr. Marshall's personality, he likely thinks the autograph hobby about as profound and worth his time as the beannie baby hobby or Barbie Doll hobby.

That's about it.

The man is absolutely brilliant; frankly I found it a lot more interesting to talk with him for about three hours than to ask him for an autograph.

godwulf
09-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Has anyone ever encountered Ryne Sandberg in a non-paid autograph situation?

The reason I ask is that he's coaching or managing (can't recall which at the moment) one of the Arizona Fall League teams next month, and while I'm not a huge Cubs fan or anything, I thought that if the opportunity arose, I might get a ball signed while I'm out there taking my annual two weeks' Baseball-watching vacation.

There are huge numbers of Cubs fans here in the Valley, so I'm sure there's gonna be a whole lot of folks with the same idea.

HENMICK44
09-26-2008, 10:16 AM
I've heard that about Bench, he's a real nasty s.o.b.

aeneas01
09-26-2008, 11:25 AM
seems to me that the guy that wanted his bat signed understood the score when it came to sigs, understood the game. further, it seems to me that he was looking for a freebie from bench, was willing to circumvent the venue's policies in order to get the freebie, yet cries woe is me because bench calls him on it.

my apologies to the many forum members that collect sigs but i just don't blame athletes for acting the way they do and, frankly, i'm surprised how many athletes actually tolerate it. right out of college i worked at a major hotel in san francisco that had a contract with the nfl and mlb - when teams came to sf to play the niners or the giants they would stay at the hotel. it was my first introduction to autograph hounds and it was an ugly sight. as a matter of fact the sight struck me as greedy, thankless beggars in action - greedy and thankless because these hounds would shove items in a player's face and actually try to rush the player along so they would have time to nail a few more players before they boarded the bus. and the crap the hounds would give the players if, god forbid, they were not interested - many of these guys would actually show up with duffle bags full of stuff. security did its best but it was always a losing battle.

as such, i will never begrudge an athlete for not signing an item - even if the one asking for the sig was little jimmy from the corner orphanage because, more than likely, little jimmy would be working the floor for himself or someone else...

mvandor
09-26-2008, 12:07 PM
seems to me that the guy that wanted his bat signed understood the score when it came to sigs, understood the game. further, it seems to me that he was looking for a freebie from bench, was willing to circumvent the venue's policies in order to get the freebie, yet cries woe is me because bench calls him on it.

my apologies to the many forum members that collect sigs but i just don't blame athletes for acting the way they do and, frankly, i'm surprised how many athletes actually tolerate it. right out of college i worked at a major hotel in san francisco that had a contract with the nfl and mlb - when teams came to sf to play the niners or the giants they would stay at the hotel. it was my first introduction to autograph hounds and it was an ugly sight. as a matter of fact the sight struck me as greedy, thankless beggars in action - greedy and thankless because these hounds would shove items in a player's face and actually try to rush the player along so they would have time to nail a few more players before they boarded the bus. and the crap the hounds would give the players if, god forbid, they were not interested - many of these guys would actually show up with duffle bags full of stuff. security did its best but it was always a losing battle.

as such, i will never begrudge an athlete for not signing an item - even if the one asking for the sig was little jimmy from the corner orphanage because, more than likely, little jimmy would be working the floor for himself or someone else...

I do believe the Internet and ebay has destroyed the original auto collection hobby for the true fans that just want the memory and the reminder in the auto of meeting the athlete. So much is flipped for sale it's crazy and the athlete's cynicism is quite understandable. Accordingly, I pay for my sigs 99% of the time so I have a right to request location, color ink, inscriptions as part of the business arrangement.

Amazingly, there are exceptions to the rules. Some great guys will still sign through the mail, or in person, for free. My fav personal case - I scored Dan Fouts' Oregon home address from a Chargers message board, purchased a new Mitchell & Ness throwback jersey (signed jerseys on the market are usually cheap garbage) and mailed it to his home. A week later, it was in my hands signed with his HOF inscription and is now one of my fav non-game used NFL collectibles.

AWA85
09-26-2008, 12:52 PM
On the Sandberg..... Living in Burlington I saw him a few times a year and he is one of those that does not care to sign at all but he does do a few. I've got him the two times I've tried and he adds the HOF inscription any everything just don't plan on much convo.

He usually waited just a little bit before the games started so he would have limited time. The last game of the year that Peoria came to town I did not even bring my camera because I thought there is no way with all the people. Well after being here a few times in the past two years only a handful of people showed up to grab his signature (small community also). He did a little posing with some of the younger kids and signed for all those there.

Hope that helps! Think I may be one of those done going after him with a bat, baseball, card and 8 x 10 photo all signed.

BergerKing22784
09-26-2008, 01:01 PM
I will start off with saying this first. I know players or celebrities owe us nothing besides giving it their best in the sport they play, the movie they star in or whatever their proffesion they are getting paid for. They have no obligiation to us other than that 9 innings of baseball they get paid to go play in front of us. So I hope that stops people from throwing that argument out there when they respond to my comments I am about to make.

I do believe players bring a lot of what they see on themselves though. Back in the day you could go to a baseball game to get a players autograph with a little bit of patience and trying. Well than it got popular and you could say profitable but to me I dont see how anyone makes any money off anyone who isnt the top line superstars because you can get almost anybody on ebay that is authentic for slightly over the unsiged items cost.

But anyway than it got harder to get autographs at games as more people were doing it and less players were signing.

So people moved to hanging out in player parking lots to get autographs or outside the stadium as players came in. That went well and still does go well sometimes but it def has gotten a lot harder than before. (I used to be one of those guys who would sit out front of the stadium at 11:30am for a 7:00pm game) Players quit signing for people at the stadium and found ways to try and be sneaky to avoid signing.

So the really determined people moved to stalking players at hotels for autographs as less crowds ment better odds, well security and people acting a damn fool made this even suck. I always hated bugging players at hotels because that is their home away from home but players brought it upon themselves by not being accessible to fans at their place of employement.

I think players just need to embrace it. Take the if you cant beat em join em mentality. Autograph hounds are not going to go away so why not take the few minutes to take care of the people so you dont have to deal with all their crap they will give you if you dont or deal with them doing crazy annoying things until you do or until you leave town. The casual fan isnt going to stalk you and do those crazy things but if you finally get a reputation of hooking people up at the stadium your less likely to see those people. I know for me personally if I could get the players I wanted at the stadium sitting out front I would never be tempted to go bug them at the hotel or have to do that stalker type stuff to get an autograph for my collection.

David
09-26-2008, 01:27 PM
My opinion is that we live in the United States and a celebrity doesn't have to sign an autograph if he doesn't wish to. There's nothing in the Bill of Rights that says a baseball player has to sign an autograph no matter how rude and pushy the fan.

Bill Russell used to not sign, but would shake the fan's hand and converse if the fan wanted to. He said both he and the fan got a lot more out of that than if he scribbled a signature and walked away.

David
09-26-2008, 01:41 PM
The flip side is it is the very fans houding you for autographs that made the player rich and famous. Without the hoards of fans, NFL and MLB players would be making millions to play a kid's game.

sylbry
09-26-2008, 02:12 PM
This thread is annoying to no end. Basically this is happening because someone had a bad experience and decided to gripe about it on the interent (in multiple places might I add) and now Bench's unfortunate encounter is gossip for everyone.

This seems to be the collector's version of high school character bashing.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=679846

godwulf
09-26-2008, 02:16 PM
On the Sandberg.....

Hope that helps! Think I may be one of those done going after him with a bat, baseball, card and 8 x 10 photo all signed.

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I'll just play it by ear and see how he reacts to other people's requests. If I don't get a ball signed, it's not a huge deal to me.

I normally get one ball signed by all the DBacks prospects, maybe a ball single-signed by the guy who looks like he's closest to being called up (last year I bet on Greg Smith, and I was right...but he was traded in the off-season and came up with the wrong club) and when I get ahold of a foul ball (I got four last year) I always get whoever hit the ball to sign it.

Aside from that, I don't do too much during the Fall League in the way of autographs, unless there's a major leaguer or former major leaguer managing or coaching and I happen to have one of his game-used items. Last year I got Matty Williams to sign one of his old gloves for me, and Damon Berryhill to sign one of his old Cooper bats. It was the only time I've ever seen Matty in anything like a bad mood - it was a couple of days after the story came out about his use of HGH, and he wasn't talking to anybody.

godwulf
09-26-2008, 02:34 PM
This thread is annoying to no end. Basically this is happening because someone had a bad experience and decided to gripe about it on the interent (in multiple places might I add) and now Bench's unfortunate encounter is gossip for everyone.

This seems to be the collector's version of high school character bashing.

If the story is essentially true, Bench and his fans have nothing about which to complain, in my opinion.

People who've slammed the poster for "violating the rules" about only books being signed are assuming that such was the case at that particular signing, and we don't know that it was. At the Garigiola signing I mentioned earlier, no such rule existed or I wouldn't have asked Joe to sign my baseball and photo.

The part of the story that I find distasteful is the whole money business. If Bench didn't want to sign the bat, a polite "Sorry, I'm only here to sign books" would have said it all - and if the fan persisted or whined or got angry, then he would have been the jerk. Sending the fan to talk to his son - as though talking about money was somehow beneath him, and something to be delegated to others - is just weird.

sylbry
09-26-2008, 03:31 PM
If the story is essentially true, Bench and his fans have nothing about which to complain, in my opinion.

People who've slammed the poster for "violating the rules" about only books being signed are assuming that such was the case at that particular signing, and we don't know that it was. At the Garigiola signing I mentioned earlier, no such rule existed or I wouldn't have asked Joe to sign my baseball and photo.

The part of the story that I find distasteful is the whole money business. If Bench didn't want to sign the bat, a polite "Sorry, I'm only here to sign books" would have said it all - and if the fan persisted or whined or got angry, then he would have been the jerk. Sending the fan to talk to his son - as though talking about money was somehow beneath him, and something to be delegated to others - is just weird.

I think my point is being missed. Because one person had a bad experience with Bench, two internet threads now exist bashing Bench. Is that really fair to Bench?

From what gather the original poster did everything in a correct and polite way. He first asked, retreived the bat, and got it signed. He didn't carry it with him expecting it to be signed. And who wouldn't blame him for being annoyed at the price request only after Bench signed, especially when he didn't have the money on hand that Bench was asking. But still, an unfavorable personal encounter between two individuals doesn't need to be reported, especially when that report is just going to fuel more unfavorable responses. I mean what kind of idiot burns a Bench autograph because Bench was a jerk to someone else? And people wonder why players do not necessarily like to sign autographs.

Just chalk it up to him having a bad day. People are still allowed to have those.

Danny899
09-26-2008, 03:41 PM

Yes, I am "assuming" that this was the case. Historically however, any book signing that features a Hall of Famer will have notifications clearly dictating that no other items will be signed. The poster is not being slammed by others here. They are merely opinions and replies to which you may not agree. Afterall isn't this forum supposed to be for the free and open exchange of ideas? Most importantly, wouldn't you like to hear Johnny Bench's side of the story? I'm quite certain it would be contrasting. Isn't it just a little odd that this individual can remember the exact conversation verbatim? Sounds self serving. Again, just an opinion.

godwulf
09-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Yes, I am "assuming" that this was the case. Historically however, any book signing that features a Hall of Famer will have notifications clearly dictating that no other items will be signed.

I've been to at least one, myself, where that wasn't the case, so I guess I have reason to at least give the fan in question the benefit of the doubt.

The poster is not being slammed by others here.

Okay, well, maybe "slammed" was not the appropriate word. Looking back, it appears that the worse thing he's been called is a "knucklehead", and even my mother called me that. Pretty frequently, as I recall.

They are merely opinions and replies to which you may not agree. Afterall isn't this forum supposed to be for the free and open exchange of ideas?

And I wouldn't have it any other way. My only point was that it really isn't fair to the fan to "assume" that he was breaking a rule, and then criticize him - even if it's only calling him a "knucklehead" - for breaking a rule that may or may not have been in force. That's my opinion...not that anyone should shut up and not express theirs - just that the opinion being expressed would seem to be based more on conjecture than known fact.

Most importantly, wouldn't you like to hear Johnny Bench's side of the story? I'm quite certain it would be contrasting.

Absolutely. And if Bench's side of the story was 180 out from the fan's, who would you believe?

Isn't it just a little odd that this individual can remember the exact conversation verbatim? Sounds self serving. Again, just an opinion.

When something that confrontational and disturbing happens, I think it's only natural for the average person to go over it again and again in his or her head - yes, absolutely making it fairly easy to remember a conversation verbatim. I'm 54 year old, and I can remember - pretty accurately, I think - a few very dramatic confrontations in which I was involved forty years ago.

I think the bottom line is that none of us was there, and that perhaps more than a little of all of our reactions to the story is dictated by our preconceptions - about athletes, fans, autograph seekers, and so forth.

Danny899
09-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Godwuf,

I appreciate your reply. I've been stuck behind these "knuckleheads" in line often enough that it sours the athlete's mood by the time you get up him. I will use nitwit next time to describe this type of practice. Enjoyed your post! Thanks, Dan

godwulf
09-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Oh, jeez, don't get me started on some of the people you encounter in signing lines.

It's gotten so about every other time I go to a signing now, I end up swearing that I'll never do it again.

I was in line to meet Steve Garvey last Saturday, and there was a guy who wanted his picture taken with Steve, and his wife tried for almost a minute to get her camera phone to snap a photo - all the while, Garvey and this guy are head to head, smiling at the camera like idiots.

I had Rain Man standing directly behind me for forty minutes, talking non-stop about whatever popped into his head to whoever would listen. ("I'm going to the ASU game after this. I think I'm going to change my shirt first. Do you like Steve Garvey?")

In situations like that, I need to remember to take an oxycontin and wear my radio headphones. The building could then be burning down around me and I'd be cool. :cool:

33bird
09-26-2008, 06:34 PM
I had a real good experience with Bench at a show. It was only 25.00 to get an autograph. He asked me where to sign it and with what kind of pen? He shook my hand. He asked if I needed a picture with him. I got more than my 25.00 worth to meet my childhood hero. I've read a ton of books about pro athletes and I haven't met one yet that loves to sign things. If I was in their shoes, I think I would hate it too. All these fans never leaving you alone-sign this, sign this...Then half the stuff or more ends up on ebay for a tidy profit. I'm with Bench. It would annoy me.
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

skyking26
09-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Another good guy story. Back in Chicago in '93. Joe Morgan signing at the National. I left his $15 auto. ticket in the hotel by mistake. Get to the show, realize I left it behind, drop my brother and a friend there and go back to the hotel. Coming back I got off in the wrong area and apparently was going wrong way on a one way street... Cop pulls me over and following ensues:

Cop: Where ya from?
Me: Michigan Sir.
Cop: Who's vehicle is this?
Me: Father's. We have the same name, I'm a JR.
Cop: You know what you did wrong back there
Me: Yes, I do now.
Cop: Any relatives in the Chicago area?
Me: No sir, here for the show.
Cop: Where in MI are you from?
Me: Port Huron, about an hour north of Detroit.
Cop: I'm going to get in my car, and I want you to follow me to the station...
Me: Why, I'll pay whatever fine, I don't understand...
Cop: Just do it.

We head to the station. Cop orders me to pay a $75 fine. I had the money but said I did not. He let me go, told me if I ever hit IL again and it was not paid I'd be arrested.

I go to the show, get up to Morgan, he asks how I am today... I tell him this story. He asks if I have another ball. I did. He takes it and has every autograph guest there sign it - returns it and says, "there, sell this and you should be able to get $75 for it. Hope the rest of your weekend goes better..."

Class act!

Swoboda4
09-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Why do we honor these ass clowns with more momentos and photos in our homes,than our own family? They should know by now that a guy with one baseball in his hand is not a dealer.
As far as Bench is concerned if this is what you made your entire career and your one of the best(Berra,Capanella)at your position you'd be grumpy to:
Team [Click for Roster]Uniform NumbersSalaryAll-StarWorld Series1967 Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1967&t=CN5)5$11,000.00--1968 Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1968&t=CN5)5$20,000.00Stats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1968as.shtml)-1969 Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1969&t=CN5)5UndeterminedStats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1969as.shtml)-1970 Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1970&t=CN5)5$40,000.00Stats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1970as.shtml)Stats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/yr1970ws.shtml)1971 Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1971&t=CN5)5UndeterminedStats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1971as.shtml)-1972 Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1972&t=CN5)5$80,000.00Stats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1972as.shtml)Stats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/yr1972ws.shtml)1973 Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1973&t=CN5)5UndeterminedStats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1973as.shtml)-1974 Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1974&t=CN5)5UndeterminedStats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1974as.shtml)-1975 Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1975&t=CN5)5$200,000.00Stats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1975as.shtml)Stats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/yr1975ws.shtml)1976 Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1976&t=CN5)5$200,000.00Stats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1976as.shtml)Stats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/yr1976ws.shtml)1977 Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1977&t=CN5)5$220,000.00Stats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1977as.shtml)-1978 Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1978&t=CN5)5UndeterminedStats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1978as.shtml)-1979 Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1979&t=CN5)5UndeterminedStats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1979as.shtml)-1980 Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1980&t=CN5)5UndeterminedStats (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1980as.shtml)-1981 Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1981&t=CN5)5Undetermined

Asfar as his web site and his prices,I was all ready to bash him but I must admit considering who he is,they are extremely fair:

http://www.johnnybench.com/autograph_information.php

33bird
09-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Yea, good point. He never made the money these bums make today. Nice story about Morgan too. Love both these guys.
Greg

David
09-26-2008, 09:15 PM
For years and years, the most compliant and happy celebrity signers have been politicians in office. This is as they see every autograph seeker as a potential voter. Hand them an election banner or campaign photo, and they will act as if it's their honor to sign it. Kiss your baby, sign your photo, that's part of their job.

Swoboda4
09-26-2008, 09:38 PM
The best baseball signers as a group are former MLB players who are now managers and coaches in the minor league system-BY FAR. They are viewed as old guys by many young minor league players and when fans in the stands are asking for the coaches autograph and not that of the player, it raises the coaches' stock in the minds of the player who now realize that the coach may know what their talking about. One ignorant player for the Aberdeen Ironbirds(class A -Orioles)upon seeing me ask for Andy Etchebaren's autograph on a baseball card asked Andy,"You used to play?" Andy would have signed all day for the respect it gave him.

skyking26
09-27-2008, 06:24 AM
Here's another from the creep file:

*Willie Horton: He did an outside event for a promoter a few years ago. My son and I went down to get him and a few other 68 Tigers on a summer afternoon during the Woodward Dream Cruise. Went thru the line and got my item (bat) signed by Willie. On way out the promoter stopped me as my son and I decided to go back thru and just get a picture with him empty handed. Promoter asked me to take some of his own stuff thru (this was a freebie signing). I said sure, we're going thru again... We get up there and Willie looks at me and says, "you guys been thru all ready, I'm not signing your stuff." I told him the stuff was for the promoter who was cowering in the corner. I mentioned I really did not care if he signed or not - all I wanted was a freakin picture. I then hollered over to the promoter and he looked so embarrased. Willie looked at me and said, "Well, if it's for the boy..." After I commented again it was for the PROMOTER he signed the stuff and took the picture.

Sad day, this guy acted like he was some superstar, you get outta Detroit city limits and nobody will remember him. Promoter was trying to pull something there, and here my little boy and I just wanted to get a stinkin' picture. He's 11 now and does not remember the incident which is fine by me. Willie, your still a star in your own mind m'man...

skyking26
09-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Good guy file:

*Frank Howard: Does not matter how many times I see this fine gentleman, he's the role model of good guy personified. What a class act. I doubt there is a mean bone in his huge body, just all heart. He'll stand and talk to anybody all day about nothing while paint dries on a wall. Just a breath of fresh air. He could send a baseball somewhere though!

RK

skyking26
09-27-2008, 06:32 AM
Creep file continued:

*Mark McGwire: I'm on a roll here. Get his auto after a Tiger game in the late 80's at a show. He's married but has a hottie sitting practically on his lap the whole signing. No attention to the customers. Fast forward to the 90's. He's a superstar now and just parked one over the roof at old venerable Tiger Stadium. I'm out by the bus now and just want a pic and hollered over to say what a shot that day. He looked at me like I was the lowest form of life and then got on the bus. Time was frozen there for a minute.

Get over yourself Mark, go juice some more and stay in hiding...

Oil Can Dan
09-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Carlton Fisk is also a grumpy SOB.

I think that if I were in any of these people shoes, and I wanted to avoid allowing other to profit from my autograph, I would simply insist that every autograph I give was personalized. Being a collector and not a reseller I would actually prefer a "To Dan" with whatever I got. I imagine that would lessen the resale value, but to me that doesn't matter.

Why don't more of these athletes take this approach?

Vintagedeputy
09-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Good guy file:

*Frank Howard: Does not matter how many times I see this fine gentleman, he's the role model of good guy personified. What a class act. I doubt there is a mean bone in his huge body, just all heart. He'll stand and talk to anybody all day about nothing while paint dries on a wall. Just a breath of fresh air. He could send a baseball somewhere though!

RK

+1 A true gentle giant

Vintagedeputy
09-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Now that I know we're talking 1986 here, but I got this Bench through the mail back then....

I love how he signed it in a way so that the pic is unobstructed.

Johnny Bench the 3rd baseman, hehe

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/448/benchttmvl2.png

godwulf
09-27-2008, 04:11 PM
+1 A true gentle giant

Speaking of gentle giants, I saw, and got some things signed by, Adam Dunn this morning. What a nice guy! The way he chats and jokes with fans, you'd think he was at a backyard barbeque.

Knowing that he may not be with the team next season, I told him, "Adam, I don't know what's going to happen next year, but on behalf of DBacks fans, I just want you to know that we won't forget you. We've really enjoyed watching you play, and we'll always be fans." He said, "I really appreciate that", and I could see in his eyes that he genuinely did. Then he shook my hand with one the size of a whole beef roast.

For anybody coming out to the Arizona Fall League, I don't think it's been formally announced, but Max Scherzer told me this morning that's he's going to get some more innings in pitching for the Phoenix Desert Dogs. His idea, and the team agreed to let him do it.

skyking26
09-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Speaking of gentle giants, I saw, and got some things signed by, Adam Dunn this morning. What a nice guy! The way he chats and jokes with fans, you'd think he was at a backyard barbeque.

Knowing that he may not be with the team next season, I told him, "Adam, I don't know what's going to happen next year, but on behalf of DBacks fans, I just want you to know that we won't forget you. We've really enjoyed watching you play, and we'll always be fans." He said, "I really appreciate that", and I could see in his eyes that he genuinely did. Then he shook my hand with one the size of a whole beef roast.

For anybody coming out to the Arizona Fall League, I don't think it's been formally announced, but Max Scherzer told me this morning that's he's going to get some more innings in pitching for the Phoenix Desert Dogs. His idea, and the team agreed to let him do it.
Hey Godwulf, I sent a bat into that signing! I'm glad to hear your comments. I sent the bat and am having it inscribed as well. Living in Michigan the chances of getting him to sign it in person are zip. I agree, he may possibly not be back with AZ next year. Where do you think he'll end up? I'm pulling for him to hit his 40th in the next 2 days...

PS: What did you get signed??

RK

AWA85
09-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Dunner is a great guy, I remember when I was in St. Louis for a day game and he comes out joking and talking with the fans. Some old lady yells "Hey Adam, I have a beer and a hot dog for you" Adam yells back, sorry I quit drinking (joking). She said what about the hot dog and Dunn tells her he quit eating to as he pats his stomach.

As a Reds fan I loved Dunn, really hoping to see that 40th home run also! It will be interesting to see who lands him, I could see him fitting with a number of teams.

AWA85
09-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Looks like the big Donkey got it tonight! Another 40 home run season.

skyking26
09-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Looks like the big Donkey got it tonight! Another 40 home run season.
Yea, following godwulf's words regarding the Dunn signing and then that 454' shot he hit to make it FIVE CONSECUTIVE YEARS OF 40+ HRS... For a guy with limited attention given to him, maybe he'll cash in as a free agent this year...

FastLane80
09-27-2008, 10:31 PM
For anybody coming out to the Arizona Fall League, I don't think it's been formally announced, but Max Scherzer told me this morning that's he's going to get some more innings in pitching for the Phoenix Desert Dogs. His idea, and the team agreed to let him do it.I'll be there. A good friend of mine...well...let's just say he knows some players and I'm tagging along. As much as I hate the D'Backs (Dodgers fan here), there are some guys I cheer for and Scherzer is one of them.

So far, I have yet to have a negative experience about any of the athletes I've met. In my line of work, I've had the privilege of meeting several athletes and sports personnel (owners, GMs etc) at their homes and all have been very pleasant. The only one who has ever turned down an autograph was Al Davis but he was polite and I'm sure he has his reasons.

I'd also like to note that I'm surprised by Reggie Jackson since I thought he was a collector as well. It may have been misinterperated but I wasn't there so I can't judge. Honestly, nothing surprises me anymore.

godwulf
09-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Hey Godwulf, I sent a bat into that signing! I'm glad to hear your comments. I sent the bat and am having it inscribed as well. Living in Michigan the chances of getting him to sign it in person are zip. I agree, he may possibly not be back with AZ next year. Where do you think he'll end up? I'm pulling for him to hit his 40th in the next 2 days...

PS: What did you get signed??

I just got two baseballs and two photos signed - one each for me and my sister - and a signature on my latest souvenir batting helmet (#4) that I get all Diamondbacks to sign.

The promoter's wife, who was sitting there punching the signing tickets, asked me, "Only five?" - 'cause she's used to me having a lot more stuff, particularly bats, for the guys to sign - and I said, "Yeah, well, I haven't got any of Adam's bats, yet." Adam says, "I've got a lot of bats to give away. I always give away a lot of stuff at the end of the season." I didn't want to embarrass him by asking if I could have or buy one, surrounded as we were by a hundred other people who I'm sure would love to have a Dunn bat, too, so I didn't say anything. If I could have done so privately, I'd have offered to put his bats up for auction to benefit his favorite charity, or something, and gotten (at least) one bat that way.

Oh, well. I'll have to wait and see what my team source can do for me. It won't be free, and it probably won't even be cheap, but I'll get one eventually.

ironmanfan
09-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Godwulf...not to hijack this thread but if you're ever going to a signing with Eric Byrnes as a guest, please let me know. I recently picked up his GU batting helmet from the 2005 season with Baltimore that I'd love to get signed.

Thanks

whhp72@yahoo.com

godwulf
09-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Godwulf...not to hijack this thread but if you're ever going to a signing with Eric Byrnes as a guest, please let me know. I recently picked up his GU batting helmet from the 2005 season with Baltimore that I'd love to get signed.

Thanks

whhp72@yahoo.com

Byrnes is supposed to be doing a local signing in November. As the time gets closer, and I get details, I'll let you know...and if you want to spring for a signing ticket and return shipping, I'd be glad to help a fellow collector out and get it signed for you.

godwulf1@cox.net

ironmanfan
09-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Yes...certainly let me know. I obviously would pay for the signing ticket and return postage. Thanks!

skyking26
09-28-2008, 07:21 AM
I just got two baseballs and two photos signed - one each for me and my sister - and a signature on my latest souvenir batting helmet (#4) that I get all Diamondbacks to sign.

The promoter's wife, who was sitting there punching the signing tickets, asked me, "Only five?" - 'cause she's used to me having a lot more stuff, particularly bats, for the guys to sign - and I said, "Yeah, well, I haven't got any of Adam's bats, yet." Adam says, "I've got a lot of bats to give away. I always give away a lot of stuff at the end of the season." I didn't want to embarrass him by asking if I could have or buy one, surrounded as we were by a hundred other people who I'm sure would love to have a Dunn bat, too, so I didn't say anything. If I could have done so privately, I'd have offered to put his bats up for auction to benefit his favorite charity, or something, and gotten (at least) one bat that way.

Oh, well. I'll have to wait and see what my team source can do for me. It won't be free, and it probably won't even be cheap, but I'll get one eventually.
Please keep me posted as to if you get a few Diamondbacks Dunn bats. I'd like an uncracked one! skyking442@hotmail.com Bob

warheel
09-29-2008, 08:14 PM
The best baseball signers as a group are former MLB players who are now managers and coaches in the minor league system-BY FAR. They are viewed as old guys by many young minor league players and when fans in the stands are asking for the coaches autograph and not that of the player, it raises the coaches' stock in the minds of the player who now realize that the coach may know what their talking about. One ignorant player for the Aberdeen Ironbirds(class A -Orioles)upon seeing me ask for Andy Etchebaren's autograph on a baseball card asked Andy,"You used to play?" Andy would have signed all day for the respect it gave him.

I have to agree. I have kind of made it a rule not to ask anyone for an autograph unless they are older than I am, which rules out just about every active athlete. I have had some very nice conversations with retired ballplayers in minor league parks, especially when I am able to comment about seeing him play. I remember one guy back in the 80s was on one baseball card..a 1958 Topps. I found it out of a common pile and took it to the game, I think I made his evening.