X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swoboda4
    • Nov 2005

Robin Ventura Mini Interview

Went to the MAB autograph festival this afternoon in Queens NY

The key to a big signing going smooth is NOT to have a card show with it. Most people had pieces to sign and with such a big line-up in a small place I was amazed. Anyway,brought the Mets away Ventura jersey and a bat for Robin to look at and sign "gamer" if appropriate. Went like this:
    How's the ankle Robin? Great.
    I have what I believe is a game used jersey of yours but the big question is have you on occasion ever shortened the jersey like this because it was too long.
    Ans. "Oh yea."
    Robin turns the hem over and glances at the label(with set and size tag) nods yes and signs:

I then show Robin the Rawlings bat and ask him about his habit of taping the bottom of the bat near the handle. He said yep,that's mine but be carefull because Edgardo Alfonzo would steal my bats and use them. I looked to my right as Edgardo was also signing but Robin said,"Na,he just
    left".

As dcrules01 mentioned ,Ventura is a great at signings and he wasn't wrong. He added the following as I left:
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Re: Robin Ventura Mini Interview

Originally posted by Swoboda4
    Went to the MAB autograph festival this afternoon in Queens NY

The key to a big signing going smooth is NOT to have a card show with it. Most people had pieces to sign and with such a big line-up in a small place I was amazed. Anyway,brought the Mets away Ventura jersey and a bat for Robin to look at and sign "gamer" if appropriate. Went like this:
    How's the ankle Robin? Great.
    I have what I believe is a game used jersey of yours but the big question is have you on occasion ever shortened the jersey like this because it was too long.
    Ans. "Oh yea."
    Robin turns the hem over and glances at the label(with set and size tag) nods yes and signs:

I then show Robin the Rawlings bat and ask him about his habit of taping the bottom of the bat near the handle. He said yep,that's mine but be carefull because Edgardo Alfonzo would steal my bats and use them. I looked to my right as Edgardo was also signing but Robin said,"Na,he just
    left".

As dcrules01 mentioned ,Ventura is a great at signings and he wasn't wrong. He added the following as I left:

Did you give Robin an answer to his inscription "Why do you collect my stuff?" Thats really kewl.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• Swoboda4
      • Nov 2005

The signed photo came about as I was explaining that these are mine and I'm not a dealer. I also have to say that B+E Collectibles is where I obtained this jersey. I mentioned them when I was in doubt(about the jersey) so I would be very wrong not to publicly thank them when they were proven right. I also obtained the Burnitz from them which was also G/U. So they're a long established game used and hobby source and recently somebody asked about knicks G/U items-they sell them also and Knicks warm-ups on occassion.

Robert

Comment

• metsbats
        • Nov 2005

Hi Robert,

Great story and great inscription!

Reminds me of the Mantle inscription to Barry Halper on the Starting lineup Baseball greats figurine set. Mantle wrote "Barry Aren't you too old to be playing with dolls?"

The closest thing I have to yours is an Ed Hearn ball which he inscribed "David Now you even have one of my balls!"

Enjoy
        David
        metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• dcrules01
          • Nov 2005

That is awesome glad it worked out..There is a Ventura bat on ebay now I was looking still waiting on additional photos..
          Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

• Swoboda4
            • Nov 2005

dc-email me about that bat on ebay. The seller "sensmetsjets" is the same seller who has been trying to sell the Ordonez jersey that we questioned. If you insist though make sure the bat,well e-mail me but check out the thread we just had about the Ordonez.
            From the thread;"Yet another Met jersey w/problems"
            ....AND FURTHERMORE, there is no possible way that on the name ordonez the tilde would be missing over the n! absolutely no way, bc i remember what a total pain in the ass is is to sew that on

Comment

• gameu08
              • Sep 2008

I sent ventura a game used bat for the show today which was purchased from leftfieldcollectibles.com I paid a little over a 100 not even realizing that there is a 50 on the knob im assuming for benny agbayani guess i really screwed my self with this one. now the bat is worth nothing....

Comment

• dcrules01
                • Nov 2005

I can't find your email addy ???

Comment

• dcrules01
                  • Nov 2005

Mine is dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

• Swoboda4
                    • Nov 2005

gameu-Not really those were still his bats and as he said today with a smile 'they"(team mates)would "steal" them. He never ordered the bats for them they would borrow one and end up keeping it.

Comment

• metsbats
                      • Nov 2005

Agbayani was a notorious bat stealer. I have a Darryl Hamilton gu Mizuno with Benny's no. 50 on it.

Alfonzo too. I have a Dennis Cook gamer with Fonzy's no. 13 on it and his typical tape job.

-David
                      metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• gameu08
                        • Sep 2008

so do u think it was still used by ventura even tho bennys number was on it?

Comment

• metsbats
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by gameu08
                          so do u think it was still used by ventura even tho bennys number was on it?
                          Depends.

In this case it may be easy to tell since Robin was a left handed hitter and Benny is a right handed hitter. Typically if the hit marks are on the left side of the labeling it would indicate use by a right handed batter and the right side of the labeling a lefty used it. (holding the bat up facing you)

Another tell-tale sign would be if Benny's 50 was written over a blacken knob or over a crossed out Robin's no. 4 or just written on the knob or barrel end without any defacing of another number involved. Depending on which situation it may add a clue however bear in mind the player borrowing the bat may have just taken the numbered bat fresh from the bat rack without the victim ever using it verses out of the shipping box. So you would have to take the first criteria under consideration.

Now the Mets typically numbered bats and kept the unused bats prepped for use in the storage areas. This made it easier for players to find their bats in storage like in the bat racks.

David
                          metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• Swoboda4
                            • Nov 2005

also if the bottom of the bat (knob) looks sanded to allow a new number it also may mean Ventura used it and Benny or the clubhouse guy cleaned off the 4 and added the 50.

Comment

• metsbats
                              • Nov 2005

Here are some photos of a Robin Ventura gamer, 2 Agbayani gamers, and a Hamilton used by Agbayani gamer. Ventura and Hamilton were left handed hitters and Agbayani a right handed hitter.

Note the absence of ball marks on the Ventura on the left side of the bat and the ball marks on the 2nd Benny and Hamilton. Also notice the absence of ball marks on the right side of the bat on the Benny and Hamilton and the abundance of ball marks on Ventura's.

The Ventura has moto stick type lighter pine tar on the handle while the Benny and Hamilton have more traditional dark pine tar. The Benny used bats also have pine tar application near the center labeling while the Ventura does not.

In the case of the Hamilton Benny's no. 50 was written over a rubbed off 18 (Hamilton's no.)

David
                              Attached Files
                              metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

Working...