PDA

View Full Version : Majestic Tagging-retail Or Professional?

hblakewolf
03-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Forum Readers-
It is well known that Majestic incorporates two different 4 digit codes on their jerseys to distinguish them as being wither retail or pro. In the case of game jerseys, 0062 is the designation for team issued, 6200 retail (those jerseys made specifically for sporting goods stores, etc.). Granted, we have seen the rare exception where teams have used a 6200 (Cubs, etc.), however, it is pretty much accepted that the two different codes are used depending on the specific channel the shirt will be used in.

In regard to pre-games, batting practice, it is also known that the same type of tagging code is used between pro and retail. Pro BP's have the 0006, retail 6000. I have sold well over 100 Phillies and Orioles BP's over the years, and not a single one had the 6000 tag.

As I continue to sell some of my personal collection, I have decided to move my 1990's Tony Gwynn pre-game. I have attached a photo for your reference. As I was describing it to a prospective buyer, I noticed that code on the wash tag reads 6000! There is no doubt this is NOT a retail jersey, just from the following:

1. The Majestic logo on the sleeve is EMBROIDERED (retail is screened)
2. The size. It is a 50 (50 is not offered in retail, only team issued).
Likewise, the size tag is sewn into the tail, not the neck as seen in
retail versions.

The attached photos have the Gwynn tagging on the left, a 1996 Orioles Rockey Coppinger BP is on the right.

This jersey came from my contact in Philadelphia in the late 1990's. There is no doubt it is a Gwynn gamer.

I have not seen the retail code in a game worn pre-game, before. Has any other Forum reader also seen this?

If anyone has any interest in the Gwynn, please make me an offer or I'll just hang it back up until he enters the Hall.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

cbb5
03-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Howard,
I too have a bp jersey that has the retail code. There is no way it is a fake since it exhibits the same tell tale signs that yours does (i.e., emroidered Majestic logo, size tag in tail). In addition, it is also made of micromesh, which the Mets used in the late 90's, and was not available to the public. It is Pedro Martinez (no, not that Pedro Martinez) who had a cup of coffee with the big club in 1996. I can post some pictures when I get home. I recall it being a code 6500, not a code 0065.
Chris

bigtime59
03-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Things are always a little odd in Majesticland. I have an orange "Orioles" BP jersey, with 0006 code, sewn on logo...but two-hole buttons, single layer sewing and letter "XL" flag-tag sizing on the jock tag. I've never seen anything else like it...don't know if it was a prototype, salesmans sample, fantasy camp gamer, or what.

trsent
03-20-2006, 01:36 PM
What everyone keeps forgetting is the teams, players, coaches, equipment managers, etc. are not looking at the coding to determine if an item is available for a player to wear. Clothing is clothing, so wash codes are not examined all the time for the purpose of if a player can wear an item. We all know of examples of players wearing store model jerseys in rare situations.

They are not thinking about what items we are going to buy or sell because they often don't care about us in this whole big equation.

Oh wait, even Michael Jordan wore #12 one night in Bangkok.

I can go to bed now, the MEARS letter is up for that Vintage Bonds item Howard had me so concerned over.

"One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
You'll find a god in every golden cloister
A little flesh, a little history
I can feel an angel sliding up to me

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me"

flaco1801
03-20-2006, 02:46 PM
just checked a 95 astros bp and it also has the 6000 code. it has majestic embroidered and is a size 46 with the name mlicki. im sure its real it prolly came from hartel. who is gonna forge a mlicki he never made the squad lol (it also has the 30 year astro patch)

2000mvpfan
03-21-2006, 02:04 AM
Howard-
I have a mid 90's Oakland A's Giambi BP:6000 code,but sewn Majestic logo on sleeve,no tag in the neck,and size xl tag attatched to the jock tag.
I guess anything's possible with Majestic!

Joe