PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Orioles Jersey

G1X
09-29-2008, 12:17 AM
I picked up a Baltimore Orioles "Turn Back the Clock" jersey a few years ago (see photos) that supposedly came from a collection of Lonnie Smith items. According to the Baseball Almanac, Smith wore #39 in his final stint with Baltimore in 1994, so I am assuming that the jersey was worn that season.

I am hoping that someone can verify that the O's wore this TBTC style in 1994 and identify the game date that it was worn. Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

ironmanfan
09-29-2008, 06:46 AM
I can research the exact date, but I believe they played the Brewers in a TBTC game that season.

Rob L
09-29-2008, 10:29 AM
According to Bill Henderson's guide "MLB Game Worn Jerseys of the Double Knit Era (1970-2007), that is the jersey they wore in the 1994 TBTC game (no date included). It shows a Mitchell and Ness jersey with the Cooperstown tag.

ironmanfan
09-29-2008, 07:48 PM
As promised, I did a little research this evening and discovered that the jersey is from a 08/04/94 TBTC Game in Milwaukee between the Orioles & Brew Crew (style of the day was 1970).

Enjoy!

Bill
whhp72@yahoo.com

G1X
09-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Bill and Rob,

Thank you so much for the information!

I checked the box scores from that week and found that Lonnie Smith did not get into the TBTC game on August 4. He was at the end of his career and evidently not seeing much playing time as he played on July 29 and then did not see action again until August 6.

Thanks again for solving this mystery for me. I've had this jersey for a number of years and it has always been a favorite, but I was never quite sure when it was used as the Seller was unable to pinpoint any details.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Number9
09-29-2008, 08:50 PM
No help unfortunately, just saying hello Mark.

Mike

Rob L
09-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Bill and Rob,

Thank you so much for the information!

I checked the box scores from that week and found that Lonnie Smith did not get into the TBTC game on August 4. He was at the end of his career and evidently not seeing much playing time as he played on July 29 and then did not see action again until August 6.

Thanks again for solving this mystery for me. I've had this jersey for a number of years and it has always been a favorite, but I was never quite sure when it was used as the Seller was unable to pinpoint any details.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

No problem Mark. Btw, very cool jersey.