PDA

View Full Version : Consider this bat to be photo-matched? Opinions?

Number9
09-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Wow, what a day. Financial nightmare and time in a dentist's chair. Good night to get engrossed in a hobby. Hope everyone keeps their jobs.
Anyhoo, do you guys consider this bat to be a photomatch? I think it is the same bat, there's several things that match, the dot near the knob, some pine tar near the knob, the grains on the barrel in relation to the stampings, a ballmark on the barrel, BUT he loaded it up with pine tar again after this photo was taken so that doesn't match. So I can't decide if this should be called a photo-matched bat or not.
The photo is from the playoffs and this is an uncracked bat he left behind after the season so that checks out too.
By the way, the rosin you see on the bat in the photo of him at the plate, is under the new coat of pinetar on my bat, so that is there too, just covered up mostly now by pine tar.
Consider this bat photomatched or not?
Thanks for opinions.

ML

Number9
09-29-2008, 08:57 PM
PS, sorry for the big photos, I thought I re-sized them all. I guess not.

Vintagedeputy
09-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Its a match....everything that remains on the bat matches up.

Rob L
09-29-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm not Kyle, but it looks like a match too me.

brianborsch
09-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Is it me or does the pine tar in the game photo have dust or dirt on it, but the pine tar on e bat in a still shot is just straight tar. Couldn't be a match right? Still a nice bat though...b

corsairs22
09-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Doug might have put some fresh pine tar on it after the photo was taken, so it could still be a match. No?

HENMICK44
09-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Interested In Selling It????????????
henmick44@optonline.net

Number9
09-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Yeah, that's what I mean. He loaded it up with pine tar again so that has changed on the bat since the photo. As I said, you can see the white rosin under the new pine tar on the actual bat now.

There's also another good blue ballmark on the bat barrel since the photo so he used it after the photo was taken for sure.

But that is the crux of my question, and maybe it is more philosophical than physical: If a bat has changed since a photo (changes made by the player's use) do you still consider if a photo-match?
Thanks guys.

Mike

corsairs22
09-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Mike, if you can still ID the bat with the photo, then yes, it is a match. I guess I look at this as a forensic exercise.

joelsabi
09-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Yeah, that's what I mean. He loaded it up with pine tar again so that has changed on the bat since the photo. As I said, you can see the white rosin under the new pine tar on the actual bat now.

There's also another good blue ballmark on the bat barrel since the photo so he used it after the photo was taken for sure.

But that is the crux of my question, and maybe it is more philosophical than physical: If a bat has changed since a photo (changes made by the player's use) do you still consider if a photo-match?
Thanks guys.

Mike

good question. there seems to be permanent marks on the bat that would seem to be a match. but is it now a photo match.

if you have a photo matched bat and your son accidentally uses for batting practice in the backyard, is it still a photomatched bat?

Number9
09-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys.

To me, its the same bat as there's about 5 things that match, BUT I am reluctact to label it a 'photo match' since he has used it more and made it look different by adding more pine tar.

On the white rosin, it appears sometimes he bats with pine tar only, and other times he adds rosin on top of it. I am guessing it has something to do with sweat on his hands and the fact that he doesn't use batting gloves.

Not looking to sell it, just trying to decide if I could/should consider it a photo-match or not. Always interested in the opinions of other collectors.

Mike

Rob L
09-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Definite photo match with subsequent use.

indyred
09-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Nice work Rob L. Solid match from your breakdown. I love how eyechart cakes up his bats. I've seen a few of his helmets as well and he looks like he dumps pine tar on them also.

Number9
09-30-2008, 12:36 AM
That's awesome Rob, thanks very much. I saw a lot of those but never could have displayed it as neatly and well as you just did. Thanks for the effort and help.

Mike

skyking26
09-30-2008, 07:43 AM
This is a no brainer here...definate photomatch. It amazes me how you guys find such exact pics. There was a guy on here with a Youkilus helmet some time ago that amazed me. Number 9 and the guy with that Youkilus helmet...if you are not doing forensic work as a career you have a calling...

RK

joecoco
09-30-2008, 10:53 AM
What a great bat!! Based on the evidence I would say it is a total match. The pine tar ordered by the Yankees is the "Horse Health" type, which is thicker than what you can buy in stores, but still will smudge when handled. In addition, when rosin is added to pine tar, eventually it will set in after a few days and not leave the whitish color anymore. If you notice on this bat there is a hint of white color in the top of the Louisville slugger logo, evidence of the rosin placement. Again, a great bat that I am jealous is not in my collection:) Cheers - Joe Coco

gameused
09-30-2008, 11:21 AM
This is a no brainer here...definate photomatch. It amazes me how you guys find such exact pics. There was a guy on here with a Youkilus helmet some time ago that amazed me. Number 9 and the guy with that Youkilus helmet...if you are not doing forensic work as a career you have a calling...

RK

Mike,

Thats a definite photo-match! Great job in finding the match.

RK, I'm the guy with the Youk W.S. helmet, it's time consuming looking for a match, but it's all worth it when you finally find it.

Thanks, Bobby

skyking26
09-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Bobby - where did you get that helmet anyway? I'm guessing Steiner?

Rob L
09-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Oops. Missed an obvious one:

Rob L
09-30-2008, 11:54 AM
This time with the photo:

gameused
09-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Bobby - where did you get that helmet anyway? I'm guessing Steiner?

Skyking,

I got it from Steiner, would like to have picked up Manny's beat up-pine tarred helmet but Manny kept it. This was the next best thing, I had it matched before I purchased.

Bobby

Number9
09-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys.
And Rob thanks again for making it a LOT clearer.
Joecoco, thanks for the info about the rosin/pine tar.
From what I have seen you have the best Mientky bats around, I don't think any of mine are as good as yours, I'm just happy to have a few solid ones.
It's a great reflection on you that you collect Mientky bats yet you are so unselfish and classy that you can be happy for another collector. I feel the same about your stuff you have posted before, I am happy for you that you have them as I know you have consistently looked for the best ones for some time so you deserve them.
If I ever need to sell this one, and you are interested, I will e-mail you first.
Thanks.

Mike

joecoco
10-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Wow Mike- Thanks a lot for the kind words! Beleive me, I feel the same way about your bats as well:) It is a funny thing with this hobby as you really have to put in the time and patience looking for a piece for it to pay off. 9Unless you have crazy team-connections, which I can only dream about!) I guess that is what makes those moments so special when you get a bat you really want! Keep up the pics of your collection as it is always nice to see a hammered Mienty gamer like yours:) Thanks for keeping me in mind too-:D happy collecting to all - Joe Cocozzella
jcocozz1@jhmi.edu