PDA

View Full Version : David Wright Game Used Jersey ASI on ebay

sandman02910
03-21-2006, 06:07 PM
I recall a ways back a thread involving ASI and Historic Auction. Currently on Ebay is a Game Used David Wright Norfolk Tides Jersey. It is being offered by ASI with a ASI COA. Last summer I sold this jersey on Ebay and it was won by Gulf Bay Trading Company whose location is the same city as ASI is. In the November Historic Auctions that ended in January this same exact Jersey was available for auction with an ASI COA and not the Norlfolk Tides Team COA that I had when I bought and sold it. The jersey was won on Jan 2nd at a bid of $400. Now less than 3 months later ASI is again offering the same Jersey for auction on ebay. It would appear that Gulf Coast Trading, Historic Auctions and ASI are all the same company. But why would anyone want to go through all that trouble. Why make it appear that someone won the auction through Historic Auctions when it clearly didn't sell. In fact the minimum bid was lowered during the last few hours down to $400 just to get a bid. I guess I just don't understand why a company would go through the trouble of hiding who they are or why they would get rid of a COA issued by the team to replace it with one of theirs. One thing I will say is that the jersey is at least good having bought it directly from the Tides myself with the Team COA.

kingjammy24
03-21-2006, 07:40 PM
My answer doesn't apply in this specific case or to any specific people or companies.

In a way, it's a form of laundering. It makes it easier to hide things. It makes it harder for people to connect the dots. For example, let's say I have 2 companies - A and B. I can purchase game-issued jerseys, lettering kits, blanks, known fakes, etc using company A, and sell them as "game-used" jerseys via company B. Nobody looking at company B would see all of the incriminating things I've purchased. Conversely, nobody looking at Company A would see that it's also selling "game-used" jerseys. However, if it was all 1 company, then you'd easily be able to connect the dots when you see it's buying game-issued jerseys and selling the same jerseys as game-used. Plus, if I'm caught in the act, then all I have to do is point the finger at my other company and say "they told me they were game-used!". If I had only 1 company and I was caught, there'd be nobody else to blame. In a crisis, I can have 1 company be the scapegoat for my other company.
When you cycle things through the ringer a few times, it makes it harder for people to see where items came from and where they went. As long as the companies have different faces and mailing addresses, people won't connect the two.

Another benefit is that you can hide or offload bad merchandise. Let's say company A is caught trying to sell a fake. Well what's it supposed to do with the jersey? If it gives it to company B, company B can try to unload it via different methods without the public "mark" that's been placed on company A.

Much of this hobby runs on word of mouth, reputation, stories, and some gossip. Having multiple companies allows a person to navigate through those waters, jumping from one boat to another when one starts to sink or gain water. It's a handy little way of not putting all of your eggs in one basket. It allows you to do what you need to do and keep your public company looking clean, while your private company does all the dirty work. As long as you're associated with the clean, public company then you and your reputation remain good.

I'm sure there may be some tax advantages as well. You can offload profit from one company to another in order to knock yourself down to a lower tax bracket, you can offload or share losses, etc.

Rudy.

sfgiants452
03-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi Rudy,

I just want to complement you. I love your detailed answers. They are very informative. I think you are a valued member to this site!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Anthony