PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Gaffe: Mike Jordan "game used" sneakers

cammy collector
09-30-2008, 08:04 PM
I emailed Grey Flannel the following info. I got a response back saying

Dear Sir. I am going to forward your email to the winning bidder and I will let him make his choice. Thank you for the information.
Just wanted to make others aware of the situation. Please feel free to chime in with any additional information and by all means correct me if I've got any of mine wrong.

To whom it may concern:

I was recently made aware of the following listing that was part of last week's "Hall of Fame auction" I know how much GFC strives to obtain only the most authentic items for auctions. Simply put, while these shoes are authentic Nike Air Jordan's, they were NEVER "game used" by Michael. In the remainder of this email I will attempt to prove without a shadow of a doubt why this is so.

Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, the NBA never allowed Michael to wear this colorway of shoes in NBA regular season games, and he wore them in only two preseason games in 1985. In his first preseason game in 1985 a representative from the league office contacted the Bulls to inform them that his new shoes violated the leagues "uniformity of uniform" clause. If he wore them again he would be fined $1,000. A second offense would warrant a $5,000 fine and finally the Bulls would be forced to forfeit games if he continued to wear them after that. Nike instructed Michael to continue wearing the shoes and they would pay each fine rendered thereafter. After just two games, with input from league Commissioner David Stern, Nike put forth plans to produce a primarily white shoe with a red swoosh (all of this information can be found in "Playing for Keeps" by David Halberstam and "Swoosh - The Unauthorized Story of Nike" by J.B. Strasser).

Secondly, as a serious collector of Air Jordan's I've gathered many pictures over the years of his game used sneakers, particularly the Air Jordan 1. There are several ways in which this pair differs from a legitimate pair. Normally the production number on the collar is followed by the suffix "FTPS" which stands for Feng Tai Player Sample, "Feng Tai" is the Nike factory where these shoes were manufactured. and "PS" stands for Player Sample, that these shoes are not meant for a general release, and only built with the specifications of a professional athlete (first picture attached). This seller consignee claims his "CH" suffix sets his pair apart from retail models, when in fact this just designates which factory in which they were produced (second picture attached of a pair of size 11's with this same suffix). Also, normally with this model the right shoe would be a size 13.5 and the left a 13, this due to the fact that one of his feet was larger than the other (third picture attached, a pair from another prominent auction house which included a personal letter from a former head basketball coach at the University of Maryland *note the difference in price as well*). Lastly, Michael has been quoted many times as saying he wore one pair per game throughout his career. No one can be sure as to the accuracy of this statement, but one thing is for sure; these shoes were not worn for only one game. The heavy use and scuffing suggests they were used for perhaps ten or more.

As you can see, this pair is no different from a retail pair and all indications point lead me to the conclusion that some buyer was scammed out of $3000. I hope you consider this information and do whatever is necessary to right the situation. Feel free to contact me with any further questions or comments. Thanks

-Mike Given

cammy collector
10-01-2008, 11:41 AM
HERE (http://greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=18626) is the original Grey Flannel link if anyone is interested

-Mike

lund6771
10-01-2008, 01:32 PM
another fine authentication...hopefully they actually will talk to the high bidder

33bird
10-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Cammy Collector-question for ya then: Should ALL MJ game used shoes have the PS in the code then? If that's true, there are a TON of retail MJ's being sold as gamers. Here's a pair of IV's being offered as game used: Is the tag retail then? Please advise. Thanks for sharing your info.
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

bigticket
10-18-2008, 12:55 AM
True story about our friends at GFC. The only thing I can consider myself having knowledge in are Kevin Garnett Wolves items. Garnett wore 8 jerseys, 4 each color, his rookie season. I am completely certain of this fact. I have held in my hads 3 different "rookie jerseys" authenticated by them as game worn. One of these jerseys, and I am not making this up, was 2 sizes too small and had no extra length. This particular jersey was made up for Garnett to sign for One on One Promotions his rookie season and wasn't even a correctly sized Pro Cut. Someone switched both tags and actually still used a size tag one size too small on the switch. Yet they put their letter on it, even despite everything else a jersey with 0 inches extra length was tagged as having 3 inches. True story.

The question I have always asked about these guys is if I can look at this one specific area and see what huge mistakes are made, how in good conscience can a company like this actually be trusted for anything when they quite obviously do not have specific knowledge in where most anything given to them keep from nor detailed knowledge of every area of game worn pieces. It never made any sense to me why people trusted "opinion" companies such as these.

commando
10-18-2008, 11:47 AM
I have lost a lot of money because of jerseys that were "authenticated" by Grey Flannel.

That's all I'm going to say.

lund6771
10-22-2008, 06:20 PM
True story about our friends at GFC. The only thing I can consider myself having knowledge in are Kevin Garnett Wolves items. Garnett wore 8 jerseys, 4 each color, his rookie season. I am completely certain of this fact. I have held in my hads 3 different "rookie jerseys" authenticated by them as game worn. One of these jerseys, and I am not making this up, was 2 sizes too small and had no extra length. This particular jersey was made up for Garnett to sign for One on One Promotions his rookie season and wasn't even a correctly sized Pro Cut. Someone switched both tags and actually still used a size tag one size too small on the switch. Yet they put their letter on it, even despite everything else a jersey with 0 inches extra length was tagged as having 3 inches. True story.

The question I have always asked about these guys is if I can look at this one specific area and see what huge mistakes are made, how in good conscience can a company like this actually be trusted for anything when they quite obviously do not have specific knowledge in where most anything given to them keep from nor detailed knowledge of every area of game worn pieces. It never made any sense to me why people trusted "opinion" companies such as these.

Hi BigTicket....do you know if the "rookie" jersey was ever sold in an auction?....I have a good friend who bought one in one of their auctions last year and don't want to see him get burned...I think he bought it in their September auction last year...

Thanks!!!!

rareair23.com
10-24-2008, 06:44 AM
Frankly, I have never seen or documented MJ wearing the Black/Red version of the AJ Is in Any game for that matter...if anyone has any photo documentation I would like to see it. The only time that I know of would have been during the 1985 Slam Dunk contest...other then that, according to my research it was actually the Black/Red Nike Air Ships that was banned. Correct me if I am wrong...

mb23
11-21-2008, 03:10 PM
This is correct Mike never wore the AJ1 during a game.
From the looks of the IV's pictured and that serial # I might have to say those are not true gamers.

bigticket
11-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Hi BigTicket....do you know if the "rookie" jersey was ever sold in an auction?....I have a good friend who bought one in one of their auctions last year and don't want to see him get burned...I think he bought it in their September auction last year...

Thanks!!!!

I actually had mine in the Lelands auction that ended tonight. Being they are based in Boston and KG isn't here in Minnesota anymore it seemed like the right time.
He only wore a total of 8 jerseys. I know the whereabouts of 7 of them. The eighth was given away on fan appreciation night and don't know who that person was. Mine was the first of those 7 to ever be at auction. 2 of the 7 were sold initially by Carousel from the team buy and are buried in huge personal collections. The remaining 4 are owned by people with/or who were with the team. If he did buy one in their auction, it isn't real. I know for absolute certain these 8 were the only ones he wore that season.

lund6771
11-22-2008, 01:43 AM
I actually had mine in the Lelands auction that ended tonight. Being they are based in Boston and KG isn't here in Minnesota anymore it seemed like the right time.
He only wore a total of 8 jerseys. I know the whereabouts of 7 of them. The eighth was given away on fan appreciation night and don't know who that person was. Mine was the first of those 7 to ever be at auction. 2 of the 7 were sold initially by Carousel from the team buy and are buried in huge personal collections. The remaining 4 are owned by people with/or who were with the team. If he did buy one in their auction, it isn't real. I know for absolute certain these 8 were the only ones he wore that season.

thanks for the reply Bigticket....my friend bought a jersey from them that was a Set 1 ....he thought that the writing on tag matched the writing on a Spud Web wolves that he has...anyways, he's going after your jersey tonight....any idea what Set # was given away at Fan Appreciation?

his next phone call will be to the GFC...I'd hate to be Ricky Ruzek on the other end of that phone call