PDA

View Full Version : Players and there bats

jboosted92
03-22-2006, 01:29 PM
This shows how loyal players are to there bats, Mo Pena was traded from the REDS to The SOX this week...here he is with his Reds bat still....

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_wmp_3.21_game_ap.jpg

suave1477
03-22-2006, 02:30 PM
WOW that is funny!!!

BULBUS
03-22-2006, 03:39 PM
maybe he didnt get his new shipment of bats when that picture was taken?

Spiezio23
03-22-2006, 06:12 PM
I've seen that quite often here in Seattle, Miguel Olivo brought quite a few White Sox bats with him when he came here. Other players like Pat Borders, Dave Hansen did it and I'm sure alot of others as well have done it. Why let a batch of good bats go to waste over a team name.

mwbosoxfan
03-22-2006, 06:41 PM
I thought it was strange at the time - Tony Graffanino handed my son a game used bat with lots of use from the Royals after he had been playing with the Red Sox for well over a month. It would be interesting to know whether a player immediately places a new order as soon as he moves to a new team or whether it depends more on how many new bats he has from his latest delivered order.

soxwin1
03-22-2006, 08:57 PM
From what I've seen with my contacts it takes around a month to get bats made with the correct team name on them. Players bats are shipped to the new team from both the bat mfg as well the the former team. Bats are preordered as some players crack alot of bats, others few if any. If the player is traded late in the season he may have enough bats sitting at LS as they are premade to last the balance of the season.

astros*bats
03-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Seeing as how this trade just went down a couple days ago, I would definately bet that this is just a bat left over from the last shipment and a new shipment with the Red Sox team name on it has not yet arrived. I know that during the 2005 season Nomar Garciaparra was STILL using left over bats from his BoSox days.

island_style
03-23-2006, 01:49 AM
I agree with the carry-over theory. While working for a MLB team on the West Coast, I was made avail to several bats of newly-signed players. They were game used from the present team, but the bats had their former team names on them. Some of them were even from the Japan Pro League (very cool).