PDA

View Full Version : Pat Burrell bat used by Albert Pujols

allstarsplus
10-05-2008, 11:07 PM
The seller doesn't disclose this but I think I am reading the COA that this is a Pat Burrell model SAM bat and it says down near the bottom used by Albert Pujols. Both players are jersey #5.

It sold in a BUYITNOW for $500.

Very odd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Albert-Pujols-Game-Used-Sam-Bat-from-World-Series-Year_W0QQitemZ220288790711QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 220288790711&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C240%3A1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

allstarsplus
10-06-2008, 07:08 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Albert-Pujols-Game-Used-Sam-Bat-from-World-Series-Year_W0QQitemZ220288790711QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 220288790711&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C240%3A1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Is the Opening Day locker room tag included?

bigtruck260
10-06-2008, 10:00 AM
I have seen this bat from a few sellers.

It is the bat that Albert used in and experiment conducted by a major university that guaged his reflexes vs. the average human - and Babe Ruth. It was an interesting study done at Washington University in St. Louis...not sure why Albert Used Burrell's bat, but it is noted on the LOA that the bat was used in the study:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5898774?FSO1&ATT=HMA

The bat might have been less desireable because of Pat's name on the barrell - and the appearance that the name had been "tampered with" - likely by Albert. However, I thought it was a cool piece with great provenance...not really 'game used' per se, but still a piece that will be of historical significance.

My two cents.

Dave

bigtruck260
10-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Sorry about the broken link - try this one:

http://baseball-fever.com/archive/index.php/t-49332.html

Birdbats
10-06-2008, 11:49 AM
It is the bat that Albert used in and experiment conducted by a major university that guaged his reflexes vs. the average human - and Babe Ruth. It was an interesting study done at Washington University in St. Louis... not really 'game used' per se.

I think you're confusing your studies, Dave. The University of Mass/Lowell conducted a study of broken bats during the 2004 season. The Cardinals were one of the teams that sent several game-used broken bats to Lowell. Those bats were returned after the season and, when sold by the team, the LOAs noted the bats were used in the Lowell study. This is one of those bats. I would assume it has actual game use.

I remember when the team store at Busch sold a bat similar to this one -- Burrell bat used by Pujols (asking price, $250). I asked how they could be sure because both guys wore #5. They were taking the word of the clubhouse employees responsible for collecting bats and sending them to the store to be sold. 100% of the value in this bat is the LOA -- without it, it's just a two-piece Pat Burrell bat.

bigtruck260
10-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I think you're confusing your studies, Dave. The University of Mass/Lowell conducted a study of broken bats during the 2004 season. The Cardinals were one of the teams that sent several game-used broken bats to Lowell. Those bats were returned after the season and, when sold by the team, the LOAs noted the bats were used in the Lowell study. This is one of those bats. I would assume it has actual game use.

I remember when the team store at Busch sold a bat similar to this one -- Burrell bat used by Pujols (asking price, $250). I asked how they could be sure because both guys wore #5. They were taking the word of the clubhouse employees responsible for collecting bats and sending them to the store to be sold. 100% of the value in this bat is the LOA -- without it, it's just a two-piece Pat Burrell bat.

Thanks for the correction Jeff. It's not the first bat like this (with this COA) that I have seen. A pretty reliable dealer in my area gave me the info - So I'll have to correct him, since he still has one (last time I was there)...

He was under the assumption that the bat was used in the Wash U. study. Regardless, the LOA is solid. $250 was a good price for those bats if they came from the Cards' dugout, right? Then again Jeff - we've seen some 'interesting' items that came directly from the team :D .

Thanks again for the correction. Appreciated.

allstarsplus
10-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Then again Jeff - we've seen some 'interesting' items that came directly from the team :D .

The seller didn't not even come close to full disclosure and why was the Opening Day Locker Room tag there for? Decoration?

Here was the eBay description: This is a game used Sam bat by Albert Pujols who is argubbly the best player of this generation. He has numerous records and just think how many records he will have when he retires. First ballot Hall of Famer. This bat retails for over 1,500 to 2,000. This is the type of item you will show your grand kids and it will be worth thousands then. The COA is from The St.Louis Cardinals themselves so you know its real. This bat is a great buy and a great deal for you if you have any questions please email me back, thanks. And chances are the first decent offer will win. Best one for the lowest price on ebay. thanks and happy bidding

If the buyer didn't have a magnifying glass, he will probably hit eBay seller fortymom with a Negative!

bigtruck260
10-06-2008, 01:31 PM
The seller didn't not even come close to full disclosure and why was the Opening Day Locker Room tag there for? Decoration?

Here was the eBay description: This is a game used Sam bat by Albert Pujols who is argubbly the best player of this generation. He has numerous records and just think how many records he will have when he retires. First ballot Hall of Famer. This bat retails for over 1,500 to 2,000. This is the type of item you will show your grand kids and it will be worth thousands then. The COA is from The St.Louis Cardinals themselves so you know its real. This bat is a great buy and a great deal for you if you have any questions please email me back, thanks. And chances are the first decent offer will win. Best one for the lowest price on ebay. thanks and happy bidding

If the buyer didn't have a magnifying glass, he will probably hit eBay seller fortymom with a Negative!

I know the previous owner, and I suspect that fortymom is in some way related or bought the item from him. When this bat was listed in the past by the other owner, it was listed with photos of GU Pujols hats, cleats, name plates, etc. as a means to cross reference other products the seller had in his eBay stor. In his listings though, he always stated what was for sale.

This could be a case of a person trying to flip the bat and using photos from the previous seller's listing.

If you want the original owners name (eBay ID), email me.